• This topic has 112 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by juan.
Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Tell me about On-One
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Inbred in white
    Inbred in red slide DO version
    SS inbred (white again)
    456 Summer Season, first “it’s going to rust” version that also suffered terrible chain suck
    456ti, Lynskey version with brake brace so hopefully it won’t snap. Still got it, it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden.

I like OO’s

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The Aldi of MTB..
    Cheap, no frills, appeal to loads..
    But never gonna set your heart on fire.

Northwind

brant – Member

Question (serious):: What steel frame brands have really good paint?

I barely managed to put a scratch in my Soul… Polished up ridiculously well after 2 years of being ridden into everything available by a total dobber.

Then again I could have bought a 456, thrown it away after a year and bought another one, and then done it again after another year and had a frame with mint paint and still spent less so there’s that.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

brant – Member

Not had an issue with my Love/Hate..

brant
    Free Member

Love/Hate and Soul are epoxy powdercoat I think?

I will look into it. I wonder how much my homeboys at http://www.triple-s.co.uk would charge us?

tomaso
    Free Member

A riding buddy’s old Inbred in plain gauge gas pipe not 853 failed at the seat stay crown where it rusted through. It was bodged with a big ugly weld and the paint is burnt. A year or so on and its still going strong.

I am pondering a Scandal 29er…

Mugboo

Maxle dropouts for c456 please. 🙂

nuke

My PA looks very scruffy…I found the inbred paint chipped easier than the PAs powdercoat but the powdercoat scuffed/scratched easier and dulled quicker (no clear coat to protect the coloured layer I’m assuming)

Cheezpleez

I’ve had an original steel 456 and slot dropout 26in Inbred and now have a 29in SS Inbred and C456. No issues with the finish on any of them apart from the 456 which scratched and chipped quite easily. They are/were all great riding bikes and great value. As others have said, why spend over the odds on something that’s going to get covered in mud and hurled at rocks.

Brant, pretty please can I have a 29er C456 with nice short chainstays?

grittyshaker
    Free Member

@Brant – Homeboys Triple S in Bingley did a great job of powder coating my Kaffenback.

paul4stones

Strangely tempted to buy back my original Inbred 29er. With sliding drop outs.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Me again, just to say bog-standard vertical-dropout Inbred running SS kit is unbreakable.

Rusty Gussets? Aye, so what.

Edit: Chipped paint? Who cares what it looks like, no rust on the tubes, all is good. It’s steel at 25lb with the build so neeeeeeeeeeowwww.

If it breaks, i’ll buy a new one with the pocket money.

robdob
    Free Member

Brant – that’s actually a nice thing to say. Thanks. (Not being sarcastic)

The bikes rode really well to be honest but I’m afraid I’ve been put off now. As far as value goes you can’t be beaten, that’s for sure. Sounds like there are a lot of happy customers nowadays which is great.

andyl
    Free Member

I’d say epoxy powdercoat is not the best thing to use.

Plenty of decent coatings out there. It’s just a case of doing some leg work to find them and then of course getting the performance to price ratio correct and you have to factor in process costs.

argoose
    Free Member

Sounds like too many people like looking at their bikes rather than riding them.
    My first bike was an entry level kona fire mountain for £300. Still felt awesome riding past someone pushing a cove hummer up a climb.
    If your worried about chips scratches, touch up paint a la car stone chip. Job’s a good un.

pickle
    Free Member

Had an old Inbred and now have a C456. Love them both! rides real nice and handles anything i throw at it. I dissagree with a comment above saying “they won’t set your pulse racing” i guess it depends how you ride a bike? mine puts a smile on my face every time i ride it.

Anyhow, how many other bike companies come on sites like this and give you direct answers?

Brant – On-One
    Mike – Dialled

You can’t beat stuff like that, and surely it shows they care what customers think and say about their products and act upon what people say??

The only thing i wish On-One would do is bring down the price of the Ti 456 so i can afford to buy one LOL!

mugsys_m8

and I wish they would do a slot or sliding drop out inbred in small with v brake bosses for my wife for use a famiy tourer.

I bought a 2nd hand sliding droppout 6? years ago 2nd hand off here as a ride to train station hack. It’s now my main mountain bike I love it that much. It also makes a great tourer, esp when touring with the chariot trailer for pulling Pia and all our camping kit.

Mrs Mugsy REALLY wants one in 16″ ish that will allow her to run gears and singlespeed (or at a push gears only) and v brakes. If it had more mounting points and a touring fork then it would be perfect. The road rat doesn’t really cut it for heavily laden touring and pulling a 5year old with a follow me…. flexy to say the least!

I really like on one. They’re cheap and cheerful. I’ve also had a kaffenback and a team superlight frame, and now also have an Uncle John.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

My 853 Inbred chainstay died after 5 years of abuse, I got it fixed so it’s much better. Still a great value frame for what it cost and I’ve had it built up lots of different ways.

I know have a pompino too, it’s equally versatile and fun for a silly low price

I’d have happily paid a little more for powdercoat paint though!

atlaz
    Free Member

Another vote for Singular

griffiths1000
    Free Member

“Anyhow, how many other bike companies come on sites like this and give you direct answers?

Brant – On-One
    Mike – Dialled

You can’t beat stuff like that, and surely it shows they care what customers think and say about their products and act upon what people say??”

@Pickle You took the words out of my mouth. That is impressive. I am slowly being won over.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@Kerv

in the eye of the beholder, innit

grittyshaker
    Free Member

I’ve not met too many beholders who thought my Blue Dragon Kaffenback was beautiful. I enjoyed it’s quirkiness though and generally On-ones have a sort of utilitarian charm that I quite like.

dlr

Had an inbred 456 steel for ages which was good. Have a scandal 29er atm which rode really well, so nimble etc but sadly I snapped it losing an argument with a stump last week, offered 25% off a replacement but considering saving for a solaris or maybe the ti titus

boltonjon

Another fan here. I bought a brand new C456 frame for £250 – i know – £250!!

Built into a great long travel second bike and i’ve been really impressed. Running it for nearly a year, have abused it a lot, and its taken everything i could throw at it.

Probably done 2000 hard off-road miles

Not to much of the ghastly yellow paint has come of either

+ 1 for bolt thru drop outs – 12mm please

tomhoward

Got a lot of OnOne/PX clobber for both MTB and road, decent value and decent nick to boot, esp the merino base layers.

Bike wise, Inbred sliding DO here, built SS with nice kit (Frame may be one of the cheapest bits 😳 )

I like it, it’s no super lightweight (though it’s the lightest mtb i’ve ever had 🙂 ), but its quick, comfy and can handle a bit of aggro in the woods.

Only thing I’m not such a fan of is the paint (not the quality, just the colour, bought S/H you see.) so im looking at having it stripped and laquered to get a raw/brushed steel finish, any recomendations? (DIY not an option, I have neither the skills nor the patience to do a proper job)

fenred
    Free Member

I bought an Inbred 29er slot dropout frame just before xmas and hafta say the paint job seems far superior to my last 2 inbred frames.

obelix
    Free Member

Their Ti frames have been very highly regarded. The Lynskey version was the first 5/5 stars ever given to a bike by BikeRadar. Yes the materials are different, but it’s surely the same design and support team behind the bikes as for the steel and carbon, if not the actual fabricators?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-on-one-ti-456-11-44604

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/frames/mountain/product/review-on-one-lynskey-ti-456-08–31339

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Thanks guys for the info, no excuse now not to buy a frame & try on-one for myself.

captainsideburns
    Free Member

How about On-One build a good light alloy 24 or 26 inch wheeled kids frame?

igm

Or a 14″ carbon model. Kids bike of interest too – Islabikes at On-One prices? Oh yes.

takisawa2

Does Rusty Gussset still work in their paint shop inspection dept…

Duffer
    Free Member

They make a 14″ Inbred. That’s about as small as it’s going to get, unless you plump for 24″ wheels.

juan
    Free Member

What steel frame brands have really good paint?

Sobre, came in epoxyed, rustproofed, had the diagonal tube protected with a sticker and came with 2 mech hanger

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about On-One’ is closed to new replies.