Home Forums Bike Forum Tell me about crown races.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tell me about crown races.
  • zippykona

I need one for my on one smoothie Mixer headset.  Are they generic these days or do I need a specific one?

wwaswas

did your headset not come with one?

zippykona

Putting suspension on my fatty but want to leave it easy to swap back to rigid, so need another crown race.

wwaswas

I’d just cut a slot in the one you have for easy swapping.

Long answer: the crown race needs to have the same angle as the inner surface of the bearing it contacts and there are different ‘standards’ so it’s not ‘any one will do’

zippykona

Surely the bit of bearing that touches the race is flat?

wwaswas

but at an angle to the horizontal that can vary.

as an example:

crown race

zippykona

Slotting my existing race is a good idea .

5plusn8
    Free Member

I am a serial race slotter. Just file and a bit of sanding on the cut edges so there are no nasty burrs.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I hadn’t thought of doing that before, but now you mention it, why aren’t all bloody crown races slotted?

Any reason at all that slotting one could cause an issue? (if properly smoothed on it slotted edges)

I suppose there may be a theoretical risk that the race could splay open slightly when repositioned, leaving it not perfectly round?

wwaswas

slightly increases the risk of the race turnign on the fork crown if the bearing seizes but for a cartridge bearign aheadset there’s no reason not to cut the crown race, really.

zippykona

Best way of removing a race from a carbon fork?

wwaswas

stanley knife blade, tap twixt crown race and fork crown gradually, moving around the circumference as you go doing a bit at a time, once you can get the blade in twist it gently, again workign your way round. shoudl just gradually pop off the taper on the fork steerer.

kcal

For all the cost of a new crown race, I find it easier just to have a spare crown race on a different fork.

wwaswas

For all the cost of a new crown race

and we’re back to the OP :)

scotroutes

It’s not a crown race.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about crown races.’ is closed to new replies.