Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tech lever issue
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

Hello everyone,

I bought a rear Hope M4 evo brake a few months ago. Fitted, set up and work great apart from one thing…

Compared to the front brake the lever feels different. The easiest way to put this is it has a slow return. Once it’s pulled and the pad hits the disk, I can let it go and it doesn’t return with a ‘spring’ in its travel. The front does.

This doesn’t effect braking at all. I would like front and back to be the same, that’s all.

This problem has been from new and I thought that it may go away but it’s just the same with months of continuous use. Has anyone got an idea of what it may be?

I’ve tried putting some oil on the lever pivot, it doesn’t help.

Please help. I could just send it to Hope and I know they’d do a sterling job but I think it may be an easy fix, just don’t know how!

Cheers.

chrssmale
    Free Member

Had a similar issue with my old minis after I rebuilt them. Turned out I had the lever pivot screw too tight. Could try loosening that ie the silver allen key under the BPC & Reach writing on the lever.
    Sadly not much on Hope’s pdf instructions, but the old mono lever manual suggests lubricating the pivot point and to make sure its not over tightened. See page 13

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/2004_instructions_small.PDF

robsoctane
    Free Member

Thanks Chrssmale, I’ve tried that and nothing, lubed and varied amounts of tight, not tight. Problem persists… Damn it!

Anyone???

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it was mine, I’ve be checking for either a sticky/swollen seal causing drag or a broken spring in the lever.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Yep . I’d guess its the flanged bushes in the lever pivot assy.
    Undo the lever pivot bolt remove the lever and then either very gently file the flanged bushes or using pliers or pipe wrench or similar squeeze them into their seats maybe use a piece of card to protect them from the teeth of your chosen tool.

exploded view here
    http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/TECHMCyl-exploded.PDF

the culprit will be item no.HBSP229

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The best place to go for that kind of advice is Hope. Ping them an email and they’ll respond usually in less than a day. If its been like that from new and the probable cause is a seal or bush they are quite likely to stick one in the post for you

br
    Free Member

Have you checked the caliper?

robsoctane
    Free Member

Thanks again Spec’! I’m gonna try it now, will report back.

spectabilis
    Free Member

If you don’t have a suitable tool you can possibly sort it using the lever blade as a tool .
    After removing the lever blade assy and then the cam from the lever blade, put the lever blade back into the master cyl.assy. without pivot bolt and wiggle it vertically up and down to try and seat the bushes. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tech lever issue’ is closed to new replies.