Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • TdY Sportive – anyone entered?
  • gravity-slave
    Free Member

Weather looking good for Sunday!

I really am starting to wonder why I signed up for the Sportive long route. I’m a fair weather short distance road rider. Been travelling with work 4 weeks out of the last 6, including US. I like a challenge but it’s going to be tough!

My mates are all stressing about what to wear, like a bunch of girls. It’s our first event and first ride of that distance. I feel like I need a new windproof but don’t want to ride in unknown kit. Looking at the forecast perhaps my endura stealth won’t be far wrong!

Anyone else doing it? 2800 entrants…

petec
    Free Member

nah – it’s all about Pedal Norfolk this weekend.

Less hills!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Currently that sounds like a better plan!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Does one enter a sportive?

StuF

not this year, did it last year and got very wet / cold.

Instead I’ve been roped into the Derby 100 mile sportive, not enough (read any) hopefully I’ll be able to be dragged round by my friends

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How far is it? I did the 90km 4 passes lakes one after a mad week, thought I’d missed the cut off but about 6 beers in that evening I got an email saying pay on the day 😉 was fine just get on with it

gravity-slave
    Free Member

119km / 1600m vertical

About double the distance of the furthest I’ve ridden, all the climbing in the first 60km. I ride the Peak District so often do the ascent, just not the time in the saddle.

hooli

According to a colleague in Leeds, it is snowing at the moment – enough to settle on the ground 😯

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Yup, it’s belting down with wet snow here in Sheffield.
    I’m less than enthusiastic to be honest!

rogermoore

It was a terrible day for the start of the sportive last year too, but turned out nice in the end. Best of luck!
    RM.

Lucas
    Free Member

It’ll be fine, 75miles is not that far and 1600m not too much climbing and Sunday weather looks OK up in scarbs, doing it with some friends too. Did it last year, after a very wet start it turned out OK, unlike one of the whittons we did when it didn’t rain at the start but then did for the rest of the 8-9hrs…….

Should be a good finish on the sea front with people banging the boards. Can go and get an ice cream and have a go on sega ralley or the penny pushers after too!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Just picked up a bargain Gore windstopper active shell jacket with “£100 off” so retail therapy has made me more confident 😉

We watched at the Cow and Calf last year, atmosphere was great! A bit disappointed to see we are covering very little of the Pro route this time.

Family will be meeting me on the front after the ride I think. Plan is to warm up in the van, grab a brew and then fish and chips and ice cream – something to look forward to!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

It’ll be fine, 75miles is not that far

It’s quite daunting when my average road ride is 20 miles, biggest so far is 42.

With food stops I’m breaking it down to 3 x 25 mile rides, that feels OK!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘TdY Sportive – anyone entered?’ is closed to new replies.