Home Forums Bike Forum TDF 2024 general chat *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

• This topic has 1,120 replies, 137 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,121 total)
  • TDF 2024 general chat *CONTAINS SPOILERS*
  • stevious

As others have said I find a lot of the discussion about the non-doping advances in the sport to be quite reassuring. The Escape Collective’s Performance Process podcast and Ronan Mc Laughlin’s work in general is well worth a look – just the other day he published this peice on how teams are using Carbon Monoxide rebreathing to measure the effects of altitude: https://escapecollective.com/exclusive-tour-riders-are-inhaling-carbon-monoxide-in-super-altitude-recipe/

As for the racing, I’m really enjoying it. Pogačar is a really fun racer to watch and seeing his rivals figure out how to beat him is also cool.

scaredypants

As others have said I find a lot of the discussion about the non-doping advances in the sport to be quite reassuring

hmmm, it’s all a bit like Chris Carmichael and Lance’s high cadence for me.  I’m resigned to “it”, whatever that is

crazy-legs

hmmm, it’s all a bit like Chris Carmichael and Lance’s high cadence for me.

If it helps at all, Vingegaard and Evenepoel both beat Pantani’s time up there as well.

hightensionline

I’d echo earlier thoughts about hoping that a KoM from over a quarter of a century ago could be bettered nowadays. The approach to training, nutrition and recovery is light-years ahead of the 90s, and then there’s the actual bikes:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/retro-pro-bike-marco-pantanis-1998-bianchi-mega-pro-xl

Compared to:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/pro-bike/remco-evenepoel-specialized-s-works-tarmac-sl8-tour-de-france-2024

The spread of gears; the crank length; the geometry – it’s all so much more progressive than in Pantani’s day. Add in power meters, head units with telemetry and team radio and it’s a different world.
    As a mountain biker, you’d look at those bikes at the time and be astonished at how basic and regressive they often were, even by the standards we had back then. Things are faster now for less-nefarious reasons, I hope.

nickc

and fuel on personalised nutrition programmes to the nearest g of carbohydrate.

And not only are they personalised but they’re taking on large amounts as well.

scaredypants

If it helps at all, Vingegaard and Evenepoel both beat Pantani’s time up there as well.

doesn’t really – my feelings are not specific to pog

BruceWee

From nickc’s article:

Physiologists and nutritionists acknowledge a limit there’s a limit for “safe” carbohydrate intake, but don’t think elite sport has found it yet.

In the meantime, nutrition brands are evolving their product lines to meet the demand for more, and physiologists tinker with test athletes to see how far things can go.

It’s only a matter of time before today’s “carb ceiling” is blown away.

It could be that coaches and teams have only really started looking for athletes who are ‘super eaters’, ie, people who can tolerate incredibly high amounts of carbs without it ending up coming out of both ends.  Pog, Vingegaard, Rogalic, Evenepoel, etc could just be the first who happen to be able to tolerate higher levels of carbs and are therefore far ahead of the rest of the field.

If this becomes the defining factor in what makes a Grand Tour rider then we’ll start seeing the rest of the peloton reaching this level over the next few years.

It could also be that there is something the peloton has started taking that allows them to absorb carbs faster. Like every other drug there will be super-responders.   It may be something that may or may not have long term health effects and which will be banned at a later time.

Or the carbs thing is just a red herring like Armtrong’s high cadence was.

Personally I’m not going to overthink it and just hope professional cyclists don’t start regularly dropping dead in their sleep again.

Bunnyhop

My nephew was a child athlete in the late 2000s up until 2017. He was saying that some children of Eastern European, Baltic and other countries of that time, were ploughing a lot of money into gifted and talented children early, who showed promise in sports. This was not happening in our country at the time. They were getting better nutritional advice, the best coaches and equipment just generally having a better training programme. My nephew struggled to get funding, sponsorship and great coaches, it was frustrating for his level of talent.

Maybe this is why these youngsters are rising quickly through the sporting ranks of many sports nowadays, only a thought.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

Estimated 6.98 W/Kg for Pog for 40 mins, comes out at about 7.3W/Kg if you factor in altitude.

Greatest Climbing Performances Of All-Time on Plateau de Beille | Tour de France 2024 Stage 15

slowoldman

I wonder what Joaquim Rodríguez’ time was on Plateau de Beille when he won there in 2015? Only 10 years ago rather than 25 years back to Pantani.

chrismac

Whilst I hope the improvements are entirely due to progress in bikes, aero, nutrition etc I suspect there have been similar improvements in doping too.

I still remember the panorama programme from a while ago where they doped the presenter who was a good club triathlete, saw huge gains but even when they told wada exactly what he had taken they still couldn’t get a positive test.

crazy-legs

I still remember the panorama programme from a while ago where they doped the presenter who was a good club triathlete, saw huge gains but even when they told wada exactly what he had taken they still couldn’t get a positive test.

I don’t remember that part of it…?

I remember they doped him up under medical supervision for a repeat attempt at an Etape or something similar but he didn’t improve much – the implication being that everyone else at the sharp end of whatever amateur event it was had also spent a year doping.

nbt

I wonder what Joaquim Rodríguez’ time was on Plateau de Beille when he won there in 2015? Only 10 years ago rather than 25 years back to Pantani.

Best time in 2015 was  Alejandro Valverde in 45:30  at 20.97 km/h

http://www.climbing-records.com/2024/07/new-top-100-plateau-de-beille-takeover.html?m=1

Joaquim Rodriguez was 47:44  @ 19.99 km/h

Tadej was 3kph faster than Valverde back then

crazy-legs

A lot depends on how it gets raced as well (plus the weather conditions). One or two riders smashing the crap out of it vs a group of riders at a stalemate.

If you attack on the climb and smash it, it’ll be a faster time than arriving at the bottom as a lone leader, pacing up it to win the stage.

nbt

Another one out  – Maxim Van Gils is covid positive

https://x.com/lotto_dstny/status/1812863528853721427

slowoldman

Thanks @nbt I didn’t know of the climbing records site.

Bunnyhop

GOOOOO Sir Cav.

crazy-legs

Je suis umm… in Nice.

The trams are a) thankfully air conditioned cos it’s **** roasting and b) all decorated in yellow for the Tour. :-)

Only got here last night so we’ll head into town in a bit and see what’s going on.

Bunnyhop

crazy-legs – enjoy. It’s going to be super exciting.

Here’s hoping Sir Cav makes it.

scud
    Free Member

Would love to see Cav get a last one as a sign-off to his career, but feel Philipsen is now on the up and got the confidence although i don’t like the guy, if not Cav, then Girmay for a fantastic fourth…

DrJ

Stage start in Gruissan – best known as location for the first part of Betty Blue ?

TiRed

Another rolling rest day. Peloton is over-hydrated and have had at least three nature breaks already. Will be a sprint at the end. Nobody can be bothered in the heat.100km to go…

crazy-legs

Nobody can be bothered in the heat

It’s absolutely baking here. Was 28° at 9am.

TiRed

40km to go. The one off the front has done a nice job of showing the Totale Energie jersey and Enve bike. When he was told to go, some while back, it was the least attacking attack I ever saw; he ambled away gently, talking/moaning into the radio, and nobody was silly enough to go with him!

TiRed

Last 10km…

retrorick

Roundabout sprint chaos i think from looking at the map with 4.5km to go?

crazy-legs

Roundabout sprint chaos i think from looking at the map with 4.5km to go?

I think Biniam Girmay would probably agree with you!

retrorick

The last roundabout had been straightened by the Nimes roadwork team as seen from the aerial view.

I remember the sprint into Le Havre in 1995, a sizeable roundabout on approach to the finish caused a big crash. I’d spied the roundabout from the deck of the ferry prior to docking in port! Had a good chat with Phil Liggett prior to the race arriving and Mario Cipollini winning the stage. Those were the days (winky eye emoji).

slowoldman

Well Biniam seems OK, a few bumps and bruises. Should be an interesting couple of intermediate sprints coming up. I’m hoping for some breakaway action too (at last).

scud
    Free Member

Going to be weird these last few stages having no spring stages left, but then have two sprinters trains going hell for leather to intermediate sprints?

Hoping Girmay can hold onto green jersey, before his injury i would of put money on him as he will get over the mountains better, but not so sure now.

More breakaways too with all those teams and riders that have not won anything yet trying as hard as they can to get something out of the race?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Oh god. Cadel Evans in the commentary box. What a tragedy for the tour.

Girmay showed he was in good form which is great to see.

scud
    Free Member

I am preferring Eurosport most of the time, the time i prefer them to ITV4 seems to correspond with when Rob Hatch is commentating with Blythe, McEwan and Dani interjecting, but i then cannot stand Carlton Kirby and Sean “i only talk in generalisations” take over…

Tom-B
    Free Member

Looks like the peloton are sitting up? That second group is huge so surely the winner comes from there? Some technical descending ahead.

Tom-B
    Free Member

You’ve got to love Tadej

Bunnyhop

That was chaotic, but what a fabulous stage.

Sean managed to say ‘difficult/difficulty in nearly every sentence. I still prefer Ned and David (not enjoying Cadel) even with the dreadful advertisements.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Hey cycling enthusiasts, have you thought about leaving your pet in your will to a cremation company?

scaredypants

no but we’re all going to buy a skoda

scaredypants

Man, I’ve just had the weirdest dream – Victor Campanaerts winning a sprint !!

scud
    Free Member

Well Campanaerts seems like a bloody nice bloke… very honest interview and emotion, hopefully he will get a contract next year..

hightensionline

I made more noise than the neighbours during the football when Campenaerts sprinted. So pleased for him.

He’s signed for Visma for next year, so the rumour goes. Robbie McEwen just mentioned it as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.