Home Forums Bike Forum TDF 2024 general chat *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

• This topic has 1,120 replies, 137 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,121 total)
  • TDF 2024 general chat *CONTAINS SPOILERS*
  • fazzini

Do you think other teams would allow this?

Absolutely not! Hence my pre-qualifying statement ;)

kelvin

Anyone not watching the ITV4 coverage… please fill us in as we miss all the action.

scaredypants

can’t believe that’s the break of the day – they need more help

scaredypants

where’d Lazkano go ?

crazy-legs

Right, just got back from my ride, what have I missed?!

Why are there like 9 riders in the race…?! And why is Cadel Evans commentating? I might have to switch to EuroSport and try to cope with Sean “yes well certaint-lee” Kelly.

crazy-legs

It looks brutally hot out there.

anagallis_arvensis

Pog generally doesn’t like hot!

crazy-legs

EuroSport talking about the very real risk that the time cut is going to be a big test for a lot of riders today to get in before it.

butcher

EuroSport talking about the very real risk that the time cut is going to be a big test for a lot of riders today to get in before it.

33 minutes back for Cav now and they’ve still got half the stage’s climbing to go.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah Cav is looking like he might be in trouble here. 33 minutes back and two big climbs still to go (well 3 probably given he’s that far back). Be a shame for it to end like that.

crazy-legs

The front of the race has 36km to go.
    The Cav group is at 61km to go!

Fingers crossed he makes it – he really deserves to get to Nice in his final Tour.

crazy-legs

Breakaway beginning to self-destruct now. All getting tense – Vingegaard has to go soon otherwise Pogacar will just go over the top of him.

scaredypants

eyes down, look in.  We’re surely off here

crazy-legs

The Motos need to be fitted with snowplough type devices that can be employed to charge idiot spectators aside.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

‘kin ‘ell…!

DrJ

Kick from Pog. Looks very significant for the stage and also the tour.

grahamt1980

I know it is incredible racing in the gc, but a large part of me is getting bored of the fact the breakaway now never stands a chance.

igm

Don’t want Cav to leave today, but it’s looking very tight.

kilo

I know it is incredible racing in the gc, but a large part of me is getting bored of the fact the breakaway now never stands a chance.

+1, it is getting a bit dull, when pog attacked I turned the tv over to the Galway / Donegal match

crazy-legs

Getting predictable now – just for once it’d been nice for Pogacar to have a bad day or even just roll in and let the breakaway have their chance.

It’s a hell of an achievement but there’s little point having a race cos everyone knows Pogacar is going to ride off the front, run rings around everyone and win.

kelvin

Well, I’ve found it exciting… still been good racing.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I think people saying that it’s dull need to remember stuff like Schlek v Contador, Wiggins, Nibali, Froome, Quintana …that was boring racing! This is amazing. Let’s not forget that before this Tour Pogacar had never beaten Vingegaard on a climb.

I agree that it’s a shame that the current era of racing seems to have negated breakaways. The GC stuff however, is the best in my 15 years as a fan.

TiRed

Jonas knew he was beaten from the moment he looked at pog as he came around. I think he did well to limit the losses to only 68s. Hope cav makes it or the next geo drop back. Sometimes they bend the cutoff when it’s a big group and extra tough (hot) conditions.

hightensionline

Cav’s safe, just! 1.45 inside the cut-off.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah excellent effort. 2 outside the time limit according to the official ticker. Brutal day out for them.

crazy-legs

Yay!
    To be fair, he’s pretty good at timing it well, it’s not the first time he’s been in that situation. Great effort though.

The insane thing is that he’ll still have ridden it over an hour quicker than even the fastest amateurs!

DickBarton

How many will be dropping out due to COVID?

butcher

He looked utterly cooked at the finish.

The insane thing is that he’ll still have ridden it over an hour quicker than even the fastest amateurs!

It’s funny, when you watch these guys in the flesh, they’re absolutely rapid uphill, every single one of them. The differences between the climbers and sprinters are marginal when compared to the average amateur.

crazy-legs

2 outside the time limit according to the official ticker. Brutal day out for them.

Looks like just the one, Bram Welton from Team DSM Firmenich PostNL. Not sure how far back he was.

peteimpreza

Unbelievable performance from Pog and i don’t mean that as a compliment.

Riding 8-9% gradients. in a 54tooth chainring.

At least Pantani and Armstrong had the decency to make it look hard.

Doped to the gills and we are just waiting for the positive dope test to come through.

He made a mockery of the Giro and is doing the same to the tour.

convert

Vaughters made some interesting comments on Eurosport after the stage. Asking if anyone had the record time for the last climb. And then when he found the stat (mysterious in a couple of seconds he had it on his phone weirdly)……45 seconds FASTER than Pantani’s record. I swear there was a twinkle in his eye!

chrismac

Sadly I still wonder if he will get through his career clean.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Vaughters made some interesting comments on Eurosport after the stage. Asking if anyone had the record time for the last climb. And then when he found the stat (mysterious in a couple of seconds he had it on his phone weirdly)……45 seconds FASTER than Pantani’s record. I swear there was a twinkle in his eye!

45 seconds?  It was beating Marco Pantani’s 1998 effort by 3 minutes and 44 seconds

butcher

45 seconds?  It was beating Marco Pantani’s 1998 effort by 3 minutes and 44 seconds

Vaughters checked it on his phone during the ad break and thought it to be 45 seconds initially. They corrected it later on, confirming it was closer to 4 minutes.

convert

Damn. I’d turned off by the correction.

Besting a pure climber known (now) to have been well and truly juiced by nearly 4 minutes.  That’s…………impressive.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just enjoy it for what it is, that’s the approach that I take to TdF viewing. The sports past means that doubt will forever be cast over the best performances. At least Pogacar isn’t as much of a **** as Armstrong, and this era is far better viewing than all of the doped performances of years gone by. Contador, Schlek, Wiggins…utter bore fests, the first 2 were obviously on the gear, Wiggins more than likely.

We spent all last year calling Vingegaard a doper. Ditto 2021 with Pogacar. Froome rlgot piss lobbed at him courtesy of his performances. It’s just the same chat every year.

crazy-legs

Besting a pure climber known (now) to have been well and truly juiced by nearly 4 minutes.  That’s…………impressive.

The thing is, everything on the Tour is faster now. Average speed of stages is well up into the mid 40’s kph, often higher on flat days.

But if we assume that the old approach of dope to the gills is near impossible now (I’m not suggesting doping is non-existent, just that the previous approach of whacking yourself full of EPO and extra blood is simply not possible anymore due to biometric passports and far better anti-doping), everyone has had to look elsewhere for gains. Aero was the obvious one and a quick glance at bikes now vs bikes then shows massive gains in aero – integrated cables, aero tube shapes, carbon wheels plus the clothing, helmets, even shoe covers and socks etc – everything is aero-optimised to the nth degree.

Nutrition is way more scientific, there’s loads more data like power, HR, cadence, climb profiles and so on, better tactics and riders are more like robots than ever before – able to sit there and ride at precise power outputs for pre-determined times and fuel on personalised nutrition programmes to the nearest g of carbohydrate.

It is genuinely a different sport from back then – I believe it is much cleaner although how clean is anyone’s guess given the relative lack of high-profile busts. Most anti-doping wins seem to come from amateur level “Gran Fondo” type events and there was quite a funny example recently of such an event in Spain where, midway through, word got round that anti-doping were at the finish and about 130 riders simply abandoned there and then.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/anti-doping-showed-up-at-an-amateur-race-in-valencia-130-riders-dropped-out/

slowoldman

Could just be a quarter of a century of performance improvement.

butcher

Could just be a quarter of a century of performance improvement.

It could be. I enjoy the spectacle, but I also find it fascinating. I don’t think even the likes of Armstrong and Pantani rode like these guys. What we see now we’ve not really seen for 50 years. Something has changed, and it’s just changed in the past few years.

slowoldman

What we see now we’ve not really seen for 50 years.

You mean we DID see this 50 years ago?

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.