Home Forums Bike Forum TDF 2024 general chat *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

• This topic has 1,120 replies, 137 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,121 total)
  • TDF 2024 general chat *CONTAINS SPOILERS*
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

Pog to win, Cav not to win a stage. Another UAE on the podium, and then either Rog or Jorgenson.

Good call for the podium I reckon, with Pog to win at a canter.  But Cav to win a stage!

slowoldman

How hard are UAE going to hit stage 1 ?

Very very hard IMO. In case Vin has hopes of riding into the Tour, smash him early.

Funny how his performance fell off a cliff in comparison to Thomas.

Not sure what you’re referring to.

TiRed

Very odd….

life changing crash and injuries. G falls off a lot but never in the way Froome did.  How did Bernal get on after his crash? It has taken years to get back to form.

UAE will want to prevent Ving riding into form. At least two on the podium and I don’t think Sir Cav will make it. I’d love him to do so.

crazy-legs

I don’t think Sir Cav will make it. I’d love him to do so.

I think even most of the peloton would delighted to see it.

https://road.cc/content/feature/mark-cavendishs-top-10-tour-de-france-stage-wins-302301

crazy-legs

A partial roster from Ineos confirming Tom P.

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/ineos-grenadiers-tour-de-france-lineup-with-up-to-four-leaders-close-to-taking-its-final-shape

Final couple of names TBC but they’ve got Geraint Thomas and Tom Pidcock.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Reckon Tarling will get a start for Ineos, he’s on fire this year and only improving.

whyterider93
    Free Member

Yes I would think Sterling would be a good bet for the first TT but the second is too mountainous / the GC players will go all out

anagallis_arvensis

Just watched Pidcock in the MTB short track, **** hell it was like watching a grown up race toddlers.

Watty

The TdF Roadbook app is available to download, but it wants a login and password. I don’t remember having to do this before – any ideas?

timbo46
    Free Member

Electronic TDF Roadbook 2024 Released
    byu/EricSom intourdefrance

Thread on Reddit gives guest as login and roadbook2024 as password

Watty

Cheers Timbo, that worked 👍

timbo46
    Free Member

Checked and works for me.

Bunnyhop

Thanks for the tips for watching on HD ITVX. Hubby is going to subscribe.

I’m sure nbt will set up the STW ‘Velo Tour of France’ game’.

stevious

Been thinking about it and whichever of the favourites wins it will make quite a good story. It’s all some form of redemption after previous years’ disappointment or recovery from significant setbacks. The most delicious mix of those in my mind would be Roglič who’s had his arse handed to him by each of the other main contenders AND is coming back from a big crash.

Still think Pogačar is the main favourite but for now I’m on Team Rog

nbt

Watty

PSA: ITVX sub for a year is currently £19.99 down from £59.99, just in time for the Tour 😃

Is there a code or a link for this price? It’s snowing at full price for me 😞

EDIT: answering my own question, you need to go via the app on an apple device

Watty

Sorry NBT, I didn’t realise it was Apple only.

nbt

No worries I have an iPhone so can use that, but was initially checking on an android tablet

Klunk
    Free Member

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Still think Pogačar is the main favourite but for now I’m on Team Rog

Roglič went down in my estimation with that whole thing with Kuss at the Vuelta last year. But still, I wouldn’t mind if he won because it would be more interesting than Pog winning again.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Roglic… the wheel sucker until the last 200 metres (not a fan)….    Pog, the wheel to suck for anyone who can. Yes, I’m a fan.

TiRed

Roglič went down in my estimation with that whole thing with Kuss at the Vuelta last year.

To be fair, he followed team orders despite being the stronger rider. Much like any other team where a rider emerges to challenge. Then took the honourable exit to another team for GC. The irony is, had he still been at Visma, he’d probably have Ving working for him after five stages of Ving being beaten up by UAE, and not really recovering fully from that crash

BadlyWiredDog

Heat could be an issue – who does well in that?

Chris Froome, ironically…

Maybe more germane here is that Pogi seems less good with it. Oh, and Simon Yates if you think back to the Giro – I think – where he struggled with it. I wonder if that means Adam has similar genetic tendencies.

Look at it slightly differently, and it may, on some days, come down to how well individual teams and riders manage heat as well as any physiological predispositions. Quite a lot of teams are now using core temperature sensors – https://corebodytemp.com/ – to monitor athletes’ core body temperature.

Anyway, really looking forward to this year’s Tour. In no particular order: Pogi v Jonas, can Roglic perform with Bora, how will Remco cope in the high mountains, can Carlo Rodriguez quietly make it onto the podium, Egan Bernal’s ongoing fight to get back to 100%, Sir Cav’s record stage win mission, `Pidcock and descents, Richard Carapaz being feisty, Wout van Aeart doing improbable things, Kwiato being quietly brilliant, Mikel Landa’s sad, puppy dog eyes, G as a super dom’ again, the scenery and cols that I’ve ridden myself, and loads more.

Stuff I’m not looking forward to: Carlton Kirby’s endless drivel and Sean Kelly’s regular use of ‘continue on’, the ‘on is redundant and all your other words are in the wrong order.

anagallis_arvensis

Anyway, really looking forward to this year’s Tour. In no particular order: Pogi v Jonas, can Roglic perform with Bora, how will Remco cope in the high mountains, can Carlo Rodriguez quietly make it onto the podium, Egan Bernal’s ongoing fight to get back to 100%, Sir Cav’s record stage win mission, `Pidcock and descents, Richard Carapaz being feisty, Wout van Aeart doing improbable things, Kwiato being quietly brilliant, Mikel Landa’s sad, puppy dog eyes, G as a super dom’ again, the scenery and cols that I’ve ridden myself, and loads more

You forgot MVdP being MVdP

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

nbt

Cavendish confirmed with Morkov as lead out.

https://x.com/AstanaQazTeam/status/1805169969648341235

neilnevill
    Free Member

Yay.  Go Cav!

llama

Pog is going to smash it

Good to see quite a few young brits coming through this year

Just watched Pidcock in the MTB short track, **** hell it was like watching a grown up race toddlers.

And the XCO looked even easier. What is going on there in Ineos? I get he’s got the olympic goal, but a race like that 1 week before the tour? High risk to say the least. Not taking anything away from Pidcock’s MTB talent which is obviously immense, in terms of risk/investment vs that win, is it worth it for Ineos? Luckily it paid off. Certainly is entertaining. On the tour, hope he goes for stages and wins one in spectacular style, and I bet Jim is hoping the same because a tour stage is worth way more than a XC win.

nbt
    BadlyWiredDog

You forgot MVdP being MVdP

I get the impression that he’s basically Jasper’s last lead-out man, but it would be great to see him go head-to-head with Van Aert for some rolling stage wins.

Ineos line up confirmed
    https://x.com/INEOSGrenadiers/status/1805179199897911718

I didn’t see Ben Turner coming, but it makes sense. I was wondering if they’d include Josh Tarling for a tilt at the time trials and some experience.

Klunk
    Free Member

Yep, National Road Championships this weekend (almost all nations) so always interesting to see who’ll be sporting a new stripy jersey a few days later at the Tour.

1 DE LIE Arnaud Lotto Dstny 100 15 4:55:19
    2 PHILIPSEN Jasper Alpecin – Deceuninck 75 10 ,,
    3 MEEUS Jordi BORA – hansgrohe 60 7 ,,
    4 NYS Thibau Lidl – Trek 50 4 ,,
    5 VAN AERT Wout Team Visma | Lease a Bike 40 2 ,,
    6 MERLIER Tim Soudal Quick-Step 30 1 ,,
    7 VAN EETVELT Lennert Lotto Dstny 20 ,,
    8 REX Laurenz Intermarché – Wanty 10 ,,
    9 NAESEN Oliver Decathlon AG2R La Mondiale Team 5 0:02
    10 MENTEN Milan Lotto Dstny 3 ,,

quite the competition for the Belgique stripes (yeah right remco had a cold ;) )

Garry_Lager

De Lie looked awesome in that sprint – beat a murderer’s row of world class sprinters. Philipsen straight in his wheel and couldn’t come round.

Not sure how he is fixed for a leadout with Lotto – the big TdF sprint stages get so tactically congested, but he should be able to do some stuff in the Tour.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Is it worth getting Discovery+ to watch the Tdf?

How much more coverage will I get compared with ITV4?

fazzini

I know there’s usually a special thread but this dropped into the club chat…velogames TdF:

https://www.velogames.com/velogame/2024

butcher

Is it worth getting Discovery+ to watch the Tdf?

Eurosport coverage (which should be the same) for Tdf is pretty much from race start now I think.

crazy-legs

Eurosport coverage (which should be the same) for Tdf is pretty much from race start now I think.

ITV4 is live for almost all stages start to finish as well. Has been for a couple of years now except there are a lot of adverts for donkey sanctuaries and funeral plans.

Klunk
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.