• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Tata Pickup Truck
  • Hi.

I need to get a pickup truck for work, and havent got the money for anything newish (about £2000). Ive been looking online about Tata trucks as they seem so cheap for what you can get. Does anyone have any experiance with them, and does their quality reflect the price?

cheers

The clue’s in the name Tata

project
    Free Member

Tata own british steel as was, and tetley tea bags, range rover and jaguar and quite a few other things.

So you could tell people youre really driving a landrover pickup.

cozz
    Free Member

dont do it

for £2000 id buy a ford ranger – ive got one and its been brilliant and they are good value compared to hilux and others like that

or maybe a lesser known mazda pick up

do you need 4 wheel drive — or just a 2wd version

flange100
    Free Member

yes but when others rust , the hilux will still be going, friend visited usa hilux there with 1.3 million miles on the clock

four wheel drive. Yeah i may be able to get a ranger with 150,000 miles but for the same money i can get a tata with 40,000.

trail_rat
    Free Member

watch top gear much flange ?

hilux are **** awful to drive …… old ones – keep going JUST but everythings just hanging on about 5 mins after you buy. all of my dads companys ones were returned for steering faults – modern ones

remember no mots in alot of states in usa – in the uk they are expensive to keep on the road 😉 – dont forget the top gear tax

our modern ones in africa were awful to drive off road and even worse on the road – tail happy even in 4wd mode

before you commit to taya – check out insurance. i found a low miles cheap taya 4wd on a 2000 plate – insurance was 1800 quid .

in the end paid a bit more for a land rover and insurance was 200 quid 😀 – i wouldnt even recomend these to you as you have severe land rover tax on buying them ….. cheap to fix though !

thats interesting about insurance. I thought the quote i got was quite steep (£1300) I am 25 and only have 1 years no claims due to having overseas insurance

whi was that with because I just got a online quote for a defender at over a grand……

trail_rat
    Free Member

classic car policy – its a mid 80s 90 …..

also be aware its a limited milage (6000) social and commuting policy !

adrian flux

aP
    Free Member

Tata truck? Oh, a Range Rover then…

mc
    Free Member

Just don’t. Really Don’t.
    I know two people who had them. One had his from new, and he lasted 6 months, before he abandoned it back in the dealer after the endless faults.
    Other bought a secondhand one, and was astounded by how they quite literally fell apart, and sold it on again after a matter of weeks (and several repairs!)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I managed to pick up a double cab Izuzu TF with 40,000 on the clock for £3K last summer. 2.5 TD is indestructible apparently. Re4letively cheap to insure and run.

Bearable to drive in the road although the 700 mile round trip to Northumbria was a bit of a drag as it was maxxed out at 85 on the motorway and took about 10 minutes to get back up to speed if I ever had to brake

firestarter
    Free Member

What did you pay for the defender terry if you don’t mind me asking, oh and what’s the mpg 😉 drove them lots in the army but never paid any attention to the fuel

Spongebob
    Free Member

Tata – the penultimate motor manufacturer (NOT!).

I wouldn’t touch anything made in India – period!

Landrover – hahahaha – unreliable rubbish thanks to the “can’t do attitude” of British motor manufacturing (i’m talking about the unions who destroyed productivity, efficiency and advancement).

trail_rat
    Free Member

So what would you buy spongebob ?

Fwiw mines a jus for some fun and Ti get in and out the house

Wouldnt buy one for a daily that’s fr sure

Paid 2k at height of snow tax – out of necessity and gets 25 to 28 mpg which surprised me

Has a bit of character to it as well ! ( read lots of rattles) it is addictive though

jimjam
    Free Member

trail rat

hilux are **** awful to drive ……
    It’s a pickup. If it drive’s well it’ll be a sh*t pickup.

old ones – keep going JUST but everythings just hanging on about 5 mins after you buy.

What does that even mean? It makes no sense.

our modern ones in africa were awful to drive off road and even worse on the road – tail happy even in 4wd mode

This makes me wonder if you even knew how to engage 4WD. The Hilux is a very competent off roader. I couldn’t get the back end of mine to step out in 6 inches of snow once in 4wd, try as I might. And what were you trying to do driving on the road in 4wd anyway? Blow the transfer case apart? Your whole post reeks of BS I’m afraid.

To the op – just get a Toyota, Izusu of Mazda pickup. Very reliable, parts will be more abundant and they are easy to work on.

firestarter
    Free Member

What engine is It terry , my car is rubbish mpg anyway lol

trail_rat
    Free Member

ha and yours stinks of someone with selective reading and who saw what they wanted to see ….

the above was my experiance of living with 2 hilux in africa – ill never buy one- maybe its cause they were lhd – fwiw the older one although shonkier was better to drive than the new ones ….

i agree with you regards easier to fix than a taya though ….

trail_rat
    Free Member

its the black sheep 19j 2.5td mick – do not sell your car to buy a land rover trust me … f it was my car id hate it already ….

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I looked at a new Defender pickup for work a couple of days back – not really seriously, but just because it was there. MPG – 28 on the current TD4 engine. That is just shocking, and hence I am off looking at smaller 4x4s on Friday 😉

A Landy would have been fun, but I do too many miles for either the economy or my memory of the comfort factor!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Recenly the 4X4 magazine had a write-up on the Ranger, good stuff it seems. Here in Eire loads of Isuzu, Navara, Ranger, Hilux and Mit’bishi, can’t say I ever noticed the Tata. Besides, when you try to sell it….

firestarter
    Free Member

Oh I’ve driven lots of them in the army and I quite like them and I used to have a ldv pilot so I’m used to shonky 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Holy tag spam batman!

hora
    Free Member

I wonder how many shot/knackered Hi-lux’s were sold for too much thanks to the Top Gear program?

Bet a few people were bitten.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Tata Pickup Truck’ is closed to new replies.