Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Talk to me about the 'old' 26" Cotic Rocket…….
  • core

I’ve always liked the look of them, there’s a couple for sale at present, I’m highly tempted, but don’t know much about them.

So, how were they generally rated? Any common issues/faults? Do they ride ok with a 140mm fork? What’s bearing/bush wear/replacement like etc?

Thanks in advance

swanny853

Tried one, liked it, would have bought it if they’d had any! I thought it felt lively for a 150mm bike while still going downhill extremely fast.

A friend of mine bought one SH in the summer, he loves it. That’s with 140mm too as he swaps the forks from his hardtail.

jimw
    Free Member

I really liked mine, it was easier to pedal than the Orange 5 that preceded it and has a much more secure feel downhill.
    With reasonable kit – 2×10 xT groupset, 160mm Pike hope hoops Arch EX a reverb etc.-was about 32lbs with pedals and decent sized tyres. But it never felt heavy.

I can’t comment on the 140 fork-I do know that was the minimum suggested and Cy stated that 150mm was the sweet spot

Changing the bushes in the suspension is straightforward. I never had to change the others.

What size are you after? my Large black frame will be available soon (sorry for ad)

core

Large would be ideal…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cotic just sold a lightly used frame for £750-ish

metalheart
    Free Member

I really liked my rocket but ended up selling it on as I wasn’t riding it and it was just gathering dust. To be fair I was hardly riding at all that point and I wanted deposit money for my new motorbike….

The only problem I had was that the bolt(s) holding the shock (to the linkage/stays) was the first one out the door of Cotic and the tolerances were a bit too tight and this needed the end ground down a little to allow it get tighten up to stop the linkage knocking. I believe this got sorted out later on. Getting the right shock sag was pretty crucial to ride enjoyment (but really only took a couple of rides and basically kept pumping it up until I had (very) minimal pedal strike).

With ref to the forks, 150mm was recommended. I had a set of TALAS 140’s which Cy swiftly put me off trying. Ended up with 150 Revs (kept fairly stiff). I’d rather go 160 than 140 personally.

I did a ride report after having a go on the demo if you can be bothered to search back my posting history (spring ’12 time).

core

Thanks for the replies, I’ve had a scan around old threads and various reviews etc, generally all seems positive.

So, the million dollar question – how gnar is a rocket?

For clarity – I’m not. I want a full sus, am a bit of a cotic fanboy, hate the look of most full sus bikes but really like the rocket. With a 150mm fork what would you best describe it’s intended usage as, and how mincey can you go be on one without it being a waste of time/’overbiked’?

I’d be riding FoD, BPW, Nant yr Arian, Betws y Coed, Hopton, Bringewood.

bails

So, the million dollar question – how gnar is a rocket?
    ….

I’d be riding FoD, BPW, Nant yr Arian, Betws y Coed, Hopton, Bringewood.

I’f you’d said “I like 80km XC bridleway and towpath epics” then I would have said it might not be the right bike. But for the kind of stuff listed above it’ll be fine. Sure, you could ride it on a rigid hardtail, but the Rocket will be faster (on the downs at least, although it doesn’t climb badly), more comfortable and more fun, if you like going fast.

core

For background, I’ve got a Scandal 29er for the all day epics and proper XC stuff. It’s not a one bike for all uses job, but I’m no endyooro or DH rider at at all either.

I’ve also got a 26″ MK3 Soul with 120mm forks which is currently my more aggro bike, I just want to experience going fast on some rougher/techier stuff whilst retaining my vision. I think the Soul would be taken apart to build a rocket up, then gradually built back up somewhere down the line……..

flyingmonkeycorps

I proper love my 26″ Rocket. It’s not the plushest bike in the world, but it’s not meant to be; it rides like a hardtail with suspension, if that makes sense. I was discussing this with JonEdwards off of here a while back and we agreed that it’s forte is skipping over the top of stuff so you feel like you’re barely touching the ground. It loves to be ridden fast but it’s no slouch on steep slow stuff either – certainly much better than I am.

My Rocket is currently my only MTB and I’m currently hankering after a nice light hardtail for more local stuff (Yorkshire Wolds and Dalby) where it can be a little bit hard work, but it’s still fun wherever.

It absolutely loves the Peak District and I’m gagging to get it up to Grizedale in a couple of months.

Basically, buy one. It’s ace.

**edit** I wouldn’t want to go as low as 140 mm; I run mine with 160 mm Lyriks and reckon that’s about bob on for me. If you want to try a medium and you’re near the Peaks then give me a shout.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’d second what FMC said about being at it’s best in the peak district. I ran mine with a 150 Rev which was fine but it took a 160/130 pike for me to get the best out of it. Bearing and bushing replacement is certainly a lot easier than on my current bike

core

I thought this thread might help dissuade me, it appears not………….. 😆

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I got one of the first batch with a Fox RP23 (not CTD) shock and I have to say ta a fantastic bike.
    I would re-iterate what others have said but also I would say it’s a lot of bike in that it just flattens everything.
    I have a Fox34 with 160 travel on mine and am very happy with it but considering a Pike as I have one on 2 other bikes and really like them.
    Ridden it in Lakes, Dales , 7 Stanes Hamsterley Spain etc
    Due to this feeling of it being too much bike for most of the stuff I do I semi retired it for a while but recently got it back out again as I picked up a cheap ccdb inline shock which I wanted to try. This is just fantastic but only ridden it twice so not sure if longevity but there’s nothing wrong with the Fox shock.
    Builds up to about 30lb but that’s fine by me for what it is.
    As said above its good at steep/slow/Singletrack/pedal oh etc etc
    The only negative I’ve noticed s that the paint isn’t that durable but that’s being picky!
    Would have loved to try the 29er version.
    Mines a Large in the North East if it helps you at all
    Cheers
    Steve

Alex

I had one of the first batch after loving it on demo, Started with 150mm Revs, changed to 160mm slants

[url=https://flic.kr/p/e9NWiE]Cotic Rocket / X-Fusion Slants[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I had a couple of issues with the shock mount that Cy/Cotic sorted with their normal excellent customer service. For some reason tho, I never quite got on with it as much as i wanted too. Definitely me not the bike. Sold it after 18 months (having ridden it all over the place and it was both a good climber and brilliant descender. I just don’t think I was brave enough) to a fella who absolutely hammered it! He’s just sold it on now.

So basically, what everyone else says!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve had mine coming up to 3 years now. Love it. Climbs as well as I’ve got legs for, absolute hoot downhill – there’s a point were it feels like it gets up on a plane, like a dinghy, and it’s then just unstoppable. Handling is great – pretty low, pretty slack. I’d say it’s not quite as good on the ultraslow trialsy stuff as my old Uzzi as a result, but its better everywhere else. Carves corners like a good’un.

It doesn’t feel like a big bike travel bike to ride to me, certainly not in the same way the Uzzi did – far more controlled about how it uses its travel.

I’d say 140mm forks (unless they’re big long chunky ones like F36 or Lyrics) will feel a bit short. I started off with 150mm Revs, which were pretty good, however I bought some 160mm Pikes and the front end now feels as solid and capable as the back. Also a short fork will lower the BB even more, and it’s already pretty low.

Bearings – I got 18 months out of mine, which is on the good side for me, although I find the bush in the non drive side dropout pivot doesn’t last long (6 months?), but it’s a standard DU shock bushing, and takes less than 10 mins to replace.

core

A lot of people seem to prefer a 160mm fork, what’s the reasoning behind that, more the territory you ride, or how it makes the bike feel?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Bit of both. Most of my riding is Peaks/Lakes based, so LOTS of rocks. More travel=more speed.

The bigger 34/35/36mm stanchioned forks are loads stiffer than the 32mm ones, and that’s really noticeable when riding hard. It also slackens the bike off a little more, which is usually a good thing.

Also – I can’t remember owning a full sus that felt worse for having more travel at the front than the back. Rear suspension is generally much more capable than the front, and you get a lot of extra travel out of your legs, which are way stronger than your arms.

The Revs were by no means bad, but the Pikes are just better. (if you’re looking for a set – mine are available for a decent price! :wink:)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about the 'old' 26" Cotic Rocket…….’ is closed to new replies.