Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Talk to me about Marzocchi 55s…
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve just picked up an old G-Spot frame that I plan on building up into an Alps / occasional uplift / general talent compensator bike. Next thing is to get some forks for it. Initial thoughts were for some Lyriks, but they’re still not cheap so I thought I’d look around a bit and see what other options I had. So far I’ve come up with:

Old Marz 66s (second hand) – cheap, reckoned to be bulletproof but getting on a bit now.

RS Domains – bit clunky and heavy maybe, but solid – basically big Pikes?

Marz 55s – now, I know there were some fairly serious issues with early ones of these, but was it only specific models? Have they sorted it now? Jenson have some ridiculous deals on 09 TST ones, but I think those were the ones that broke a lot? (here) They also have 11 RV coil models for £250, which are improved I believe?

jedi

i had basic 2010 55’s. great fork and back to 2002/03 levels of sweetness

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think 2008 & 2009 55’s are shite and best avoided. 2010 onwards are meant to be awesome.

I’d look at domain 318’s or above, or some 2006/2007 marzocchi 66 rc2x’s (i had some of these and liked them)

chrisv8
    Free Member

08/09 55 TST’s are quite a nice fork……when they work.

I had endless problems with the cartridges, Windwave had a shortage of cartridges to fix the problem (which tells you something in itself)

The final straw with mine was when I forgot to turn lock-out off, did a fairly large drop and crashed in spectacular style, which was my fault but you sort of expect a 6″ freeride fork to have some kind of blow out valve.

The other thing is the weight, they weigh more than my current Fox 36 Van-R!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m sticking with my 07 marzocchi 66 rc2’s for the time being, that said I’ve always been fond of the Magura Wotans, they’d be worth considering too.

diplomatt
    Free Member

’09 and onwards RC3s are fine. I wouldn’t bother with the TST cartridge forks, whatever the year, though they may have solved the problems in ’10 and ’11.

Matt

messiah
    Free Member

Manitou? Shermans, Nixons or Travis can be the real sleeper bargains, and not bad forks once serviced… although Shermans need a mod to work well and spares and servicing is possibly getting tricky.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I bought some 09 RC3s and have been pleased. Not used them a huge amount but done some DH days on them and they seem fine.

I spoke to windwave about issues and they told me it was 08s that had issues and mainly the ATA’s.

As I was buying new old stock mine would come with a warrenty so no real issue if there was a problem.

Thing is RS had issues with their air stuff originally, fox have issues with stantion wear so they all have problems.

5lab

i’ve got some broken 6 month old 55 Air TSTs at home at the moment.

flyingmonkeycorps

Oh aye, I’m not discounting anything, just wanted to know what to keep an eye out for! Manitou could be possible, though they seem to go for similar prices to 66s of the same age, which are more common and I know a bit more about!

The basic (RV) 55s do sound pretty good though. I never know what to do with lots of adjustment anyway…

GEDA
    Free Member

I have a pair of 55 RC3 ti forks on my hardtail that are probably a bit of an overkill but I got then for a bargain price. Anyway they absorb bumps and are in noway pogo stick like. Not worked out if the high/low speed compression knob actaully does anything yet.

chakaping
    Free Member

Domain 318s are very good. Just like big Pikes yes.

Excellent VFM secondhand and great reliability wise. Not too heavy either really, especially if you’re not pedalling up much.

flyingmonkeycorps

It’s not going to be overly pedally, nope! My only worry with the Domains is that they might be a bit long (frame is designed for 160mm) as it’s only the U-Turns that are 160mm I believe, the non-adjust ones are usually 180mm.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Domains again here, depending on what you want from it I’d go for the 318’s. Stiff reliable and plush. Cheap too!

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Domains are good, I’ve had a pair before and very good for what they were.

Also the new SR Suntors seem to be good value for money

ahwiles
    Free Member

i had some 2010 55’s, they were rubbish.

very heavy.

about 40mm of sticky travel.

they stopped moving at all after about 20minutes riding.

i won’t go into details but they were designed by someone who doesn’t understand mechanical engineering.

goog
    Free Member

they’re crap !

HTH

Kuco

I had some 09 55’s and 66’s both ended up back at Windwave, though the newer stuff is meant to be better.

5lab

I think you can shim down the 180mm domains to less travel, not sure though

seanodav
    Free Member

The 09 55 rc3’s do have problems, well mine did. The 2010 version which replaced them are in another league, very nice fork imho.
    Wouldnt touch nothing from 08-09 especially from america

edit: apparantly the 55’s from 09 which were supposed to be corrected had a red paint dot on the lowers, mine had this dot but still had problems

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Marzocchi 55s…’ is closed to new replies.