Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Talk to me about dual mass flywheels.
  • carbon337
    Free Member

A quick google suggests this may be the problem with my Zafira SRI.

65k on clock and 55 plate. Banging on from engine bay when clutch is pressed and depressed. Thought intilally it was a belt as it only happened when cold but that was a red herring as when getting going I didn’t drive with clutch in for a period of time.

Most noticeable when starting up with clutch pressed in.

Looking like about 700 to repair. I don’t even know what one does.

boblo
    Free Member

It’s a big boing between the clutch and gearbox to stop the torque of your monster diesel from buggering the gearbox when changing gear.

SRi is petrol isn’t it. Didn’t know petrols came with DMF’s.

£700 seems a bit rich, I was quoted £580 for a Focus one last year from main dealer. The car had only done 40k and was just out of warranty. We settled on a lot less…

<edit> These days when they change a clutch they insist on doing the DMF (and vice versa)

carbon337
    Free Member

It’s a 1.9 cdti 150 diesel. Looking at euro car parts it looks like clutch kit is 250 and dmf is 250 plus labour. 700 is a guess will see what my local garage days on Monday morning.

grannygrinder
    Free Member

If you get a new clutch fitted make sure you get your mechanic to make sure the starter motor hasn’t swallowed a load of bits.
    My car(mondeo) had the starter motor replaced when it happened and its been removed for cleaning 3 times since.

tony24
    Free Member

valeo do dual mass conversion kits for most motors now you can convert it to a standard clutch which will last donkeys but i am not sure how it will change the characteristics of the clutch i believe it makes it heavier and possibly more vibration. my van will be getting done when the clutch goes as £800 for a clutch change is a joke.

globalti
    Free Member

Check it’s not a broken engine mount.

carbon337
    Free Member

Good point globalti if I can find the things. It’s quite tight in there.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

SRI is dizzle or petrol in the Zaf, Astra, Corsa and I assume dull repmobile, I mean Vectra.

That sounds pretty good TBH. In my old Mundaneo ST, that was going to be £900 to fix.

moniex
    Free Member

Mmm, our zafira 04 diesel just ad the same problem. Not going into gear, but only sometimes. Got worse over time and then got the knocking noise. Just parts include vat for dmf and clutch are about 550 ish ( trade ), dealer quoted about 1600 to fix it! 8O. Brother in law did it for price of the parts, about a a labour.

And yes, get starter motor checked, magnet in there will collect all shattered bits of dmf I have been told.

Good luck!

tomaso
    Free Member

Clutches are expensive and the whole dual mass thing just triples the pain. But aparently the torque of modern engines would damage drivetrains without them…

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah lots of people suggest removing them – however they presumably cost money to make and put into new cars so I doubt the manufacturer would go to the trouble if there wasn’t a good reason for it.

£250 now might save a grand of new gearbox in another 65k miles.

spooky_b329

The dual mass flywheel is there to smooth out the pulses of torque from a diesel at low revs, replacing it with a single mass conversion kit will result in more vibration. Can’t be that bad though, my works transit (and thousands of others on the company fleet) had its dual mass flywheel swapped out to a single mass as soon as it left the factory to prevent later breakdowns, and it doesn’t seem to have adversely affected it much.

bi6al
    Free Member

hi dont know if this helps i had a 2006 06 vectra 1.8 vvti 140bhp. it always juddered and the cause was down to vauxhall fitting sub standard parts , i believe the organic materials they use were not up to the job. this was a hush recall in the vectra and you had to know about it to ask to get it done, i also belive it was common on astras too. might be worth a search on vauxhall forums to see if it was a problem with your car , i was told the flywheel clutch and fitting would have been around 1600(main dealer)

t-p26
    Free Member

Dmf failed, put hole in gearbox….. 700quid? Think yourself lucky…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

sheez, these big bills wipe out an awful lot of fuel savings, is it all worth it!? (I own a car with the same engine)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about dual mass flywheels.’ is closed to new replies.