Home Forums Bike Forum Talk me out of (or into) Doctors Gate?

• This topic has 19 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Bruce.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Talk me out of (or into) Doctors Gate?
  • bens
    Free Member

I know it’s a bit of a Marmite one, some people seem to love it and some people seem to hate it.

I’m not under the illusion that I’ll be able to ride all of it but it’s an itch that needs scratching.

I’d always had it in my head that it would be best starting at Glossop and riding out but it looks like overall, I’d be gaining elevation which doesn’t sound like as much fun so is it better heading west towards Glossop?

I’m planning on going mid week to avoid the crowds (and possibly the A57 entirely… wink wink)

So do I head west to east? East to west? Or is it as bad as everyone says and best avoided?

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s best avoided although this option is based on not having gone back for many years, maybe it’s changed.

I view trails as either a feature trail, or a transition trail. Feature trails are fun to ride, dr’s gate is not. Or a transition trail gets you to the fun end of a feature trail, again, dr’s gate doesn’t really.

But if you have an itch, there’s no harm in scratching it. It’s still miles on the bike

Bruce

I haven’t ridden it in 20 years. It’s quite technical definitely from East to west unless you prefer climbing.

I did it twice but it wasn’t my sort of thing as I prefer trails with flow.

crazy-legs

So do I head west to east? East to west? Or is it as bad as everyone says and best avoided?

The latter. However if you have to do it, it starts from a culvert / layby near the summit of Snake Pass. You then descend Doctors Gate towards Glossop.

Trying it the other way will just be a hike a bike the whole way. As opposed to descending it where it’s only a hike a bike for a third of it…

Bruce

I forgot it’s one of those things that have to be done.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Crazy Legs +1

I love a good techie uphill climb, but it would never occur to me to do Doctor’s upwards.

Me and the missus loved it when we did it first time, but our companions hated it. Since that point I have realised that they were probably correct. I had a prolonged different of opinion with Mr Doran of this parish about it, snd did it again after a gap of 7 years and realised it was actually shit.  Having said which, they have apparently fixed the hideous bog, so it may be better now.

Assuming they have fixed the bog, it basically boils down to how you get on on the slow gnadgery sections with consequences on the RHS.  If you manage that bit, or at least convince yourself that you did respectably well then you’ll get a buzz to try to do other bits. If however you start walking then you’ll be off, demoralised and walking for quite a section.

( Note that I’m not referring to the rock step, but the gnadgery tech after it)

mos

I’ve not done it for 20 yrs as the shit slog along the brook was a pita. But following comments above it may be back on the menu. We used to ride our from Glossop towards Woodhead, along the TPT/snow road, Over cut gate then over again to the a57 and down Dr’s Gate.

Doctors Gate Update – Tackling the Bog of Doom

thepodge
    Free Member

I did it with @pook maybe 15 years ago. Drove 2 cars to Glossop, parked one and then drove to the top of Snake, rode / walked down, jumped in parked car, drove to the top, swapped cars and drove home vowing never to bother with it again.

I got bored of riding Beast / Lockerbrook / Hagg farm / Win Hill but I would happily do them long before I bother with Doctors gate again.

Bruce

But it’s an itch that needs scratching.

bens
    Free Member

See, this is the thing. All of these responses are pretty much what I was expecting. All of the forum threads I’ve read say pretty much the same thing which is yeah, if you really want to do it then go for it. Thing is, you probably don’t really want to do it.

I’ve watched a load of videos on YouTube and I know that I probably won’t enjoy some of it.

There’s stuff I know I’ll end up walking (up and down) I know there’s a few bits with a scary looking drop to the side that I’ll probably just walk with my eyes closed AND I know that by the time I’m half way along, I’ll probably be cursing myself for not listening to the people on the Internet that told me not to go.

But still I find myself wanting to do it anyway.

I was planning on heading up this Friday but having now snapped my mech, hanger and 2 spokes, it’s probably going to be on hold for a bit.

This is a sign right?

If I do decide against it, does anyone fancy throwing some route suggestions out that aren’t the usual Cut Gate and Ladybower stuff? Not that there’s anything wrong with any of that, I just fancy something a bit different.

I’ve got a couple of loose plans going on but a little insider info from those who know is always better.

scruff
    Free Member

We got overtaken by a lady fell runner down it, left us for dead.

crazy-legs

If I do decide against it, does anyone fancy throwing some route suggestions out that aren’t the usual Cut Gate and Ladybower stuff?

Get hold of the Dark Peak Mountain Biking book by Vertebrate Graphics. It’s got a pic of Cy from Cotic Bikes on the cover. That’s got lots of route ideas in it.

There’s a fair few forum members around in Disley, Marple, New Mills, Hayfield etc, I’m sure a shout out on here will find someone up for a ride who can maybe show you some new bits. Most places seem pretty dry at the moment too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

but having now snapped my mech, hanger and 2 spokes, it’s probably going to be on hold for a bit.

Even your bike doesn’t want to do it and has thrown itself upon it’s sword to take one for the team.

kayak23

I did it, or at least tried to did it, just before new year.

Started at Hadfield on the Longdendale trail, went along the reservoir and then up.

Screenshot_20240813-183330

I had no idea it was infamous. I think I followed someone’s route on OS maps but it sounds like I went the wrong way?

PXL_20231227_102809840-01PXL_20231227_102355284-01

It was a really steep hikeabike from the farm at the bottom and when I reached the singletrack bit with the bad drop to the side, my hub exploded and I had to abort.

I very, very nearly fell down the drop after messing up a step. The steep sides kind of mess with your perception and balance. That totally freaked me out to be fair. Thought I was brown bread.

I had to balance bike myself the few miles back along the bottom to where I’d started from.

Bruce

Looks like you were in the wrong valley. Doctors gate goes from near the top of the Snake pass.

You look like you were on the Pennine way? Going up Clough Edge from the reservoirs

kayak23

This was the full route. I only got as far as the climb up before my bike gave up.

Screenshot_20240813-191500~2

thegeneralist
    Free Member

See, this is the thing. All of these responses are pretty much what I was expecting. All of the forum threads I’ve read say pretty much the same thing which is yeah, if you really want to do it then go for it. Thing is, you probably don’t really want to do it.

I’ve watched a load of videos on YouTube and I know that I probably won’t enjoy some of it.

There’s stuff I know I’ll end up walking (up and down) I know there’s a few bits with a scary looking drop to the side that I’ll probably just walk with my eyes closed AND I know that by the time I’m half way along, I’ll probably be cursing myself for not listening to the people on the Internet that told me not to go.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The gnadgery tech on Dr’s Gate is great if you like that sort of thing ( which I do), it’s the bottomless borderless gloopy nightmare bog that puts me off.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Doctors gate is still a work in progress, higher sections near the summit feature sections which are incredibly rocky and exposed, and should be tackled with caution (most mortals should be prepared for some walking sections). So there is work still to done,

Jesus H Christ… Tell me I’ve read too much into this. They’re not seriously planning on getting rid of the gnadgery tech are they,?

Oh my **** lord. The only bloody bridleway in the Peak that is remotely techy and they plan on changing it.
    FFS

stevedoc
    Free Member

Its like the Howgils loop .. (see thread for details)   Im practice it seems like a belting idea  ticking boxes that we feel need ticking .. In reality there are far better trails to be rode .

Bruce

Sometimes you have to see for yourself.

I would suggest just going and riding it while the weather’s nice, put your self preservation head on and give it a go.

If you’re sensible at worst you have a stroll in the country.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.