Home Forums Chat Forum Talk Eastbourne and surrounding areas to me

• This topic has 53 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Talk Eastbourne and surrounding areas to me
  • lunge

Off there for a trip in the autumn and don’t know the area at all.
    Usual questions, where to stay, what to see and do, where to eat.
    2 people in their 40’s and a lazy greyhound, like quiet beaches, country pubs and rolling hills if that helps? Maybe a bit of culture too.
    Thanks all!

Kryton57

At last, my birthplace.

A lots changed since I was a kid but the Marina and Pier are fun.  Take some trips out visit the Downs, Long Man of Wilmington, Trug making and Castle at Herstmonceaux, and have lunch in the pub atop the cliffs at Beachy Head.   Worth doing the trip to Hastings and extending to Rye if you can, it’s a lovely area.

Some of the small villages have a lot of 1066 history and can be worth a visit, many have small historic pubs worth a visit.

Oh, and as a cyclist give Enigma (Hailsham) a call and see if you can bag a factory tour on the pretence – or reality – of a bike purchase.  Dangerous but worth a couple of hours ti bike chat over coffee.

nickc

2 people in their 40’s

You’ll bring down the average age for a start. Both my parents are from the area – Peacehaven and Rottingdean, so spent a good deal of my youth there when we were in the UK. It’s green in the countryside sense but somehow still manages to be dull. The rest of Sussex is quite nice, it’s very Tory, nice pubs…Brighton is close by…struggling now.

wait4me

Local here.

For culture you’ve obviously got the Towner gallery. Turner prize exhibition on currently. There’s a small cinema in there too that shows arthouse type stuff.

Prom is nice but town is lacking somewhat. We struggle a bit for quality restaurants, but you won’t starve. For anything half fancy we are on the train to Brighton, Hastings or Rye

Beaches are fine, just don’t sit too close to the pier as that’s where your bus loads of day trippers get dropped off. West of the pier at low tide is nice as extensive rock pools are exposed. Birling Gap is a nice spot but has got very busy over recent years. There’s a nice access to the beach at a spot called Cow Gap where you’ve got an easy scramble to the lighthouse at Beachy Head. Check tides and only do this at low tide, preferably a spring low.

The jewel is the Downs. Loads of nice walking and riding if you’re bringing the wheels. Plenty of pub and cafe stops. You can rent bikes and ebikes from a place in friston forest. Also from there you can walk or ride to the coast at Cuckmere Haven which is a bit of a must.

I wouldn’t bother with the harbour, but that’s me. Some seem to like it though.

I’m sure more will come to me or feel free to PM.

Only one place to stay and that’s obviously The Grand.

VanHalen

eastbourne is a bit of a dump to be honest.

lots of rolling hills, quiet beaches and country pubs though.

friston for MTB. super steep secret tracks near eastbourne too.

the hills are barren and very exposed – rolling grassland. quite boring. lots of sheep.

i like riding into eastbourne from brighton – the 2 tower blocks that look EXACTLY like portaloos sums the place up nicely and the view never fails to make me smile. architecture at its finest.

Only one place to stay and that’s obviously The Grand.

having stayed there 3 or 4 times – thats a dump also.

lunge

@wait4me, I’ve found some accommodation down the coast in Seaford, worth looking at?

nickc

eastbourne is a bit of a dump to be honest.

East from Brighton all the way to Eastbourne along the South Coast Rd is a bit of a dump, TBH.

wait4me

thats a dump also

A 5* dump though. Must confess I’ve never stayed there but I envy your normal standard of accommodation if The Grand is a dump.

Now Seaford, that is a dump 😂 Personally I think you’re better off in Eastbourne. You looking for hotels or Airbnb, Lunge?

slowoldman

They have a nice bandstand.

lunge

@wait4me, AirBnB, prefer our own space as we have the dog with us. Plus, there’ll be 4 of us for part of the trip as we’re down there to run the Beachy Head marathon.

Dickyboy

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The 7 sisters walk is really nice (jsut stay away from the edge!) and you’ll go past lots of classic views….

https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/walk/seaford-to-eastbourne/

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC is from there, still visit family that way.

Its OK, not a bad base to explore the area. Suits an older, laid back, mooching around holiday.

Brighton is worth a visit, the Lanes and seafront worth a look. Burling Gap/Beachy Head/7 Sisters are a nice walk.

Hastings is a dump, but the old town/sea front area are a bit trendy.

Rye, Battle, Herstmonceux are worth a look if you don’t know the area. Theres a few NT and English Heritage places to explore, a couple of heritage railways. Bodiam Castle is a lovely looking favourite.

wait4me

Well you’re going to get a super tour of the local Downland alright. Pray it’s been dry, I often ride across the route on race day and it looks absolutely brutal when it’s wet and windy. You’ll love it I’m certain.

As far as accommodation, I can’t recommend any specifically, but to my mind it’d be great if you can find something in the Meads area which is the far west part of town. It’s where the race ends, has a couple of pubs and restaurants, and is fairly attractive in its own right. Bit of a village atmosphere. It’s where I bought my first house when I moved down from London.

zippykona

The Hydro Hotel has the best view on the south coast and dog friendly rooms
    https://i.postimg.cc/Ghp0YkZG/CEE0-D1-BF-4889-420-F-94-F5-B28-BB141-AE13-1-201-a.jpg

submarined
    Free Member

My old stomping area.

Hastings isn’t nearly as much of a dump as it used to be. The Eastern bit towards Rock-a-nore has a nice enough vibe to it. Little shopping street, Eat@Stade does nice simple cafe food, Hastings Contemporary is worth a wander, and there are a couple of tiny museums to have a look in.

The main town section and arcades etc are standard seaside Town fare. Not my bag. But it’s definitely a bit more artistically leaning and better than it used to be.

Eastbourne is ok, again better than it used to be, but still not full of interest. Towner is purportedly very good (or so I hear from my mother, who volunteers there, so thanks for the shout out @wait4me :D )

I’ll echo Exceat/Cuckmere Haven. The woods have some brilliant trails and are nice for a wander, and it’s a really nice amble down to the sea. Alfriston had a certain charm and some nice little cafes as well.

I’m a fair way away now, but the Downs still have my heart. Lovely bit of the world. I certainly wouldn’t call the villages full of Flint buildings and the beautiful rolling hills a dump, but then again I wouldn’t be so rude as to assert that about most places.

HarryTuttle

I’m pretty local to Eastbourne (Hailsham) but I rarely go into Eastbourne itself.

As others have said:

Riding – Friston and the downs.

Eating – Plenty of country pubs, I tend to go to The Gun on Gun hill as I can walk there accross the fields from my place.

Drinking – The Gun tap room, half a mile from the pub (see a theme?).

Sightseeing/walking – beachy head, Seven Sisters and Cuckmere Haven, Long Man, etc.

I used to stay in the Hydro on buisness (15+ years ago), not sure about recommending it though, it certainly has charactor, it always felt to me like I was suddenly staying in an Agatha christie novel.

Enigma bikes?  I can throw a stone from my office to their place and I’ve never been in, do they do tours?

VanHalen

They have a nice bandstand.

is being renovated atm so not that nice at present. was a bit grotty before.

A 5* dump though. Must confess I’ve never stayed there but I envy your normal standard of accommodation if The Grand is a dump.

dunno why its considered 5* – maybe 3/4* at best. decor is old and crappy and the foods a bit crappy too. my wifes parents used to have membership so we got free stays. had to wear a tie for dinner! and it wasnt great. after the first couple of stays we sacked off the meals at the grand and went out for a pub dinner instead. breakfast is ok. cheap kippers for a 5* restaurant though. london 5* is a whole different league in nice.

the octoberfest at the winter gardens is a decent night out. and the italian ice cream place for a sundae. wife used to work in teh rat and parrot growing up.

Kryton57

do they do tours

Usually only if you’re buying.   I believe if your thinking of buying though you can at least have a chat in reception surrounded by lovely bikes by appointment.  Thier place is remarkably small, you can see the work going on while your chatting..

Kryton57

Is there still a nightclub at the end of the pier?  Those were grubby nights out, the pub across the road, the one in the middle of the pier called the Ballon Factory at the time, then roll into the club and roll out into the arms of no one you’d really want to.

spooky_b329

If you want a nice small restaurant in Seaford, look up Ollivers. It’s next to a kebab shop but it’s really good British food and owned/ run by husband and wife.  You’ll need to book well in advance though, months if you want Friday or Saturday evening.

Also Rathvinny in Alfriston have a restaurant and I presume they do tours/ tastings.

The Downs are great with huge views, but on a windy autumn day they are exposed!

wait4me

Is there still a nightclub at the end of the pier? Those were grubby nights out, the pub across the road, the one in the middle of the pier called the Ballon Factory at the time, then roll into the club and roll out into the arms of no one you’d really want to

Nope it shut some time ago. Think it’s an amusement arcade now. I’d assume the middle bit you’re talking about burnt down in the big blaze that happened a while ago. Apparently (according to my barber) theres only one club in Eastbourne now, and that is most definitely a dump. Nightlife in town is limited full stop, but there are a few half reasonable pubs.

+1 for Raffiney. Had a night stay there, dinner and tour and it was lovely. If you like vineyards there’s also Henners near Herstmonceux and for breweries also Long Man in Littlington who do tours and I think there’s a small tap room

appltn

Is there still a nightclub at the end of the pier? Those were grubby nights out, the pub across the road, the one in the middle of the pier called the Ballon Factory at the time, then roll into the club and roll out into the arms of no one you’d really want to.

Now we’re talking. Atlantis or TJ’s? Why not both.

Kryton57

Using Streetview, the pub across the road is now the Emerald Bar, and the mid-pier pub is now the Victoria tea rooms.   We used to go in that order and end up in the night club, with a precarious pissed walk back to  get a cab.  This’ll be circa 1990.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Lewes is nice, in an old country town kind of way, and theres a ferry to France in Newhaven…

nickc

and theres a ferry to France in Newhaven…

I think answering the question; “Where to stay near Eastbourne?” with “France” is a wee bit on the nose, even for this site, isn’t it?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you’re there on fireworks night, there really is only one place to be…

loum
    Free Member

Source BMX in Hastings

tuboflard

Hastings is worth a visit, some decent pubs, and in St Leonard’s too. Bexhill a bit less exciting but the De La Warr Pavilion is nice if that’s your kind of thing.

Edit. A couple of links (apologies if you don’t like the Guardian).

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/nov/05/the-battle-for-hastings-rebirth-new-hotel-cafe-scene

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/15/2017-best-place-to-drink-crown-hastings-ofm-awards

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/aug/30/jay-rayner-the-royal-st-leonards-extremely-encouraging-restaurant-review

Saccades
    Free Member

Remember, Noise annoys!

spooky_b329

The longman brewery shop is next to Cadence, a cyclist cafe with great coffee and toasties, and there is a coffee roaster there too

Tom83

Hastings is a dump, but the old town/sea front area are a bit trendy.

As a Hastings local, I find that offensive. But 100% agree with you.

appltn

Also Rathvinny in Alfriston have a restaurant and I presume they do tours/ tastings.

Rathfinny is a good place, would recommend.

And if you do go there, keep your eyes open on the left as you drive into the yard for the barn with a big square panel that’s a slightly different colour to the rest.

Before it was a vineyard it was a farm and my dad got me a summer job in 2004 between uni terms carting grain. I confirmed my status as the worst tractor driver they’d ever had by reversing the multi-tonne grain trailer into the barn at speed, knocking half the side off it and bending the steels behind. I can laugh about it now but it was completely devastating to 20 year old me 🤣

Oops!

susepic

There’s a reason the SDW ends in Eastbourne, so no need to go further east, Hastings a long way to go for a worse version of Eastbourne. Actually Eastbourne has got a bit buzzier recently as people move out of Brighton cos housing costs.
    Could come a bit west and do the Ram in Firle, the tiger in east dean. Lewes is lovely and quick on the train if you need. Quirky pubs and Harvey’s in its natural habitat. Charleston farmhouse is a good cultural afternoon as the haunt of the Bloomsbury set (Virginia Woolf drowned herself in the Ouse near Lewes)

submarined
    Free Member

The problem with recommending Lewes in Autumn, is that you’re not recommending it at the start of November :D

Yours sincerely, a man who grew up in a Sussex village with a bonfire society, and always wondered what the peak of carnival would look like, then found out in his teens :D

I’m also noting that nobody is recommending Arlington Stadium over bank holiday weekend?

ribena
    Free Member

The eastbourne air show is good too if you can go when that’s on.  Walk up beachy head to watch it and youll be above some of the planes.

Kryton57

I’m also noting that nobody is recommending Arlington Stadium over bank holiday weekend?

I forgot about that, bangers and stock cars, the strong smell of petrol, rubber and fire whilst sitting the right site of a thin wire mesh (at least it was in my day).   Awesome times, do they still do a Wednesday night series?

HarryTuttle

They still do Wednesday nights in the summer, I can hear the drone of the cars from my garden.

winston
    Free Member

Beachy Head Marathon – good luck, its an amazing course. Warm up well as the start is mega steep. Then about half way you get the seven sisters! If your road marathon time is 3hrs then aim for 4!  Second hardest marathon I’ve ever done.

lunge

Bump.

Still not planned a large part of this trip, so am back here again.

At the moment, we have 2 nights in Seaford as that’s the only accommodation we can find that’s dog friendly and not too far from the start of the marathon.

After that I’d like 3 nights somewhere else on the coast, be that Eastbourne or somewhere else within a 45 minute or so drive. As long as there’s some sand to let the dog run on, and some pubs that I serve good beer and food then I’ll be happy.

Suggestions all gratefully recieved.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.