Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Talented stw member alert!
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Blowing another members trumpet alert. I’ve been watching this come together over the last week or so on Instagram and the talent is unbelievable and the end piece of beautiful.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQjZwR8ji_e/?utm_medium=copy_link

MoreCashThanDash

From a couple of posts on here about jobs, I got the impression they weren’t some jobbing chippy

dyna-ti

Any hints as to what. Im not on instagram, so cant see it. 🙁

squirrelking
    Free Member

Talented member? I thought you were talking about a massive pianist.

nbt

I’ve sent some of the work in progress posts, that is rather lovely isn’t

wordnumb
    Free Member

Im not on instagram, so cant see it.

Me neither but it’s visible on this pc computer. Very nice, and the selection of images suggests these appeared in much the same way as Arthur C Clark’s monoliths.

frankconway

That’s impressive – as are other examples of his work which he occasionally posts.

scc999

That is absolutely lovely.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Shame about his personality though.

ElShalimo

The pooch?

kayak23

Shame about his personality though.

🖕😂

Wow, my own thread! I’ve arrived! 😳

Thanks guys 👊

Was a challenging piece to make in many ways but it’s turned out pretty good.
    Obviously all I see are the little bits I’m not overly happy with…

Im not on instagram, so cant see it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Kayak are the sockets in the top curved or did you make the straight and tangent off the curves?

funkmasterp

That’s beautiful

kayak23

Kayak are the sockets in the top curved or did you make the straight and tangent off the curves?

They’re very slightly curved. I laid them into position and marked them off, took the bulk out with a router and then chiseled carefully back to my knife lines.

There’s a load of making photos in this Flickr album if anyone is interested in the process.

Flickr album

bruneep

👍

supernova

That’s pretty impressive.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If that’s the views from your garden, your a very lucky person!

gray

Wow, that’s really impressive work!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Kayak knows I am in awe of his work so I fell able to question some of the design…

From the photos it doesn’t look like the lower support structure is ot is the same proportion to the main table. Perhaps it is the photo but I would have the under beams the same size as the bits you have split at the top of the legs.

I would struggle to do any so feel free to dismiss me

dyna-ti

That is very very nice indeed, and i particularly like the steam bent curved supports, they really make it special. Very technical too if you dont mind me saying.

Equally impressed by your workshop, I think this is the first time I’ve seen it in it’s entirety.
    Green with envy actually 😆

Ambrose

Chwara teg, fair play, that’ll do.

Blooming lovely.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Very very nice.. you sir have a talent.

However i have never had a hangover… and i drink like a fish.

Wanna trade?

kayak23

Perhaps it is the photo but I would have the under beams the same size as the bits you have split at the top of the legs.

They are more or less the same size actually, at about 37.5mm give or take.

I did actually think about not putting in the stretcher rails beneath as I liked the simplicity of it being just the legs and the top and that’s it.

It would have worked, especially as this is a table that sits against a wall with lamps and stuff on it, rather than a dining table say, but actually it really stiffened the whole thing up and I think looks ok visually.

Full disclosure – I had to make the stretcher rail assembly twice as the first one was crap. The shape just wasn’t right as stupidly I winged it rather than drawing it out full size which I later did. 😊

alpin
    Free Member

Have been following kayak for a while.

Beautiful little set up he has.

Definitely more craftsman that tradesman.
    Some really beautiful pieces on his feed.

The time that must go into some of his projects impresses me.

Kayak, what do you charge for a piece like that? I’m guessing many of your customers are not your typical “how much? At ikea a table costs 400 quid” types.

rickmeister

I know its a table, not a bike but the grass still needs cutting…

Harry_the_Spider

Nice. Quality lawn too.

joshvegas
    Free Member

They’re very slightly curved. I laid them into position and marked them off, took the bulk out with a router and then chiseled carefully back to my knife lines.

Thought they were. I’m such a loser that’s the bit I focused on. That kind of detail gets me off 😏

sillysilly
    Free Member

Very nice indeed…

singlespeedstu

Last pic reminds me of a cathedral.
    Impressive.

househusband

Yup, I’ve followed his work here (and on Instagram) for a while having seen what he’s done on the on ongoing thread ‘What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)’

What is the last thing you made? (pics pls)

kayak23

Kayak, what do you charge for a piece like that? I’m guessing many of your customers are not your typical “how much? At ikea a table costs 400 quid” types.

That table is about 2.5k to the client I think. It’s been a while since I quoted.
    The materials alone cost around £750.
    It took me about 4 solid working weeks.
    I’ll not be retiring just yet 😂

I don’t think I’d get the work if I quoted what it SHOULD cost.

Commissions like this are rare really. You have a client who is open to something different and appreciates craft and doesn’t expect it to be for peanuts.
    But actually, you don’t earn money on this kind of thing really, rather you do it because it’s fantastic to be creative and challenge yourself.
    Fitted furniture like alcove cabinets and stuff are the bread and butter and usually pay better.

mick_r

I honestly thought it would be more than that! Once at that price point / level of custom, do you think another £500 or whatever to make it more financially viable would make any difference to the customer?

And might be in touch for something more mundane (and profitable) later in the year 🙂

keefezza
    Free Member

Absolutely brilliant workmanship, very envious.
    How does one work towards such skills? I’d love to be able to do this kind of thing, must be very rewarding seeing the final product.

alpin
    Free Member

That table is about 2.5k to the client I think. It’s been a while since I quoted.
    The materials alone cost around £750.
    It took me about 4 solid working weeks.

A labour of love….. 😘

Impressive work. I dream about having my own little workshop without massive overheads where I can potter about and play around doing such things.

Instead I’m here having to pay bills and create bullshit “Kulissen” for big, faceless corporations.

Last year the jobs that gave me the most satisfaction were the smaller, one off pieces for private customers.

One day I’ll have my own man shed.

Fitted furniture like alcove cabinets and stuff are the bread and butter and usually pay better.

Yup…. 😁

Hut ab, as they say in the Vaterland.

alpin
    Free Member

2.5k is a bargain!…!

andylc
    Free Member

As others have said – bargain! I was thinking 4-5 grand.

kayak23

Yeah it’s so difficult to quote for one off stuff really.
    A table like this was very experimental too and so really I knew that it would take me longer than I could quote for.
    There was also countless amounts in materials for jigs and formers that I haven’t charged for.

Stuff like this I really WANT to make though. Partly because I want it as an example of what can be achieved beyond off the shelf stuff and I want my Instagram page to have examples of the stuff I want to make, rather than have to make.
    If it’s full of alcove cabinets, all you’ll be known for is alcove cabinets.

I’m getting better at quoting but still,I belong in the workshop, not amongst the numbers! 😂

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

It is stunning – with a bit of an ecclesiastical vibe going on. Was that intentional?

walowiz

Amazing workmanship and the attention to detail is stunning.

I’d already seen some of your work from the “show what you’ve made” thread, but this tops what you’ve posted there.

Just my two cents, but for the skill and work involved, it’s a bargain at what you’ve charged.

You’re one talented carpenter. How do you even get to master these skills, I still struggle to cut straight sometimes with a hand saw !

Love the workshop, wish I had the room for that kind of kit. Very nice, esp the hammer combo thing.

kayak23

It is stunning – with a bit of an ecclesiastical vibe going on. Was that intentional?

No, not at all but it does yes. The curves coming together on the ends gives it a gothic arch feel.

Just my two cents, but for the skill and work involved, it’s a bargain at what you’ve charged.

I agree. It is under priced but I don’t think there is that many people about who will pay what it’s worth unfortunately.

I think a lot of commissions might not happen if I was realistic about the price. At least, not until I had a very solid reputation where I could command good prices.
    It’s a difficult field to be in in terms of earning money I think.

Even fairly recently I had a previous client come to me to design a table, pretty specific needs. I spent a long time on it with sketches, 3d cad models and a 5th scale model to show them how it would work.
    I didn’t actually think too much about cost to be honest as with them being previous clients I thought they’d have some idea what to expect.
    I eventually gave them my conservative quote for it. Nope….too much.

Some other folks come to mind who wanted a really special covered memorial arbour bench. These people are a professional artist and successful jewellery maker so you’d think they’d 100% have an idea of the background work that has to go into commissions.
    Designs submitted, ballpark costs submitted.
    ‘You charge how much a day?!’ Nope…

Yeah, tricky business. 😊

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Talented stw member alert!’ is closed to new replies.