Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Taking the kids camping in a couple of weeks time for 4 nights – scotland.
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Any suggestions on where to go and what to do? KIds are 3,5 and 6.

I’m considering heading to the Red Squirrel at Glencoe and taking them on a few walks in the hills around there.

Any other suggestions?

fasthaggis

Blair Atholl

franksinatra

Red Squirrel can be a midge fest but you may be okay this time of year.

We headed to Ruberslaw Wild Wood a while ago, it is the best campsite I’ve ever been to for facilities and may be a good option if the weather is less than ideal. Really sheltered and massive covered communal area with picnic benches and fire if it is raining.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Braemar – lots of easy walks for young kids and Linn of Dee for waterfalls. Great biking trails for the kids too. Trail along the Dee from Ballater is excellent.

paladin

Dalraddy….. Loads of stuff to do nearby, including walking up to the reindeer herd and feeding them.

scotroutes

If you head for Aviemore then Dalraddy is my fave site. Rothiemurchus is nice, walkable from town and handy for more paths and trails. Glenmore is expensive but has access to the loch. If you decide on the latter you could have free use of my Sit-on kayaks for the period (I could drop off/pick up for you)

Braemar is OK but a bit sleepy.

For Glencoe, I prefer the Invercoe site for the views, the beach and the midge-repellant breeze. It also has an under-cover cooking/eating area and the hotel has been refurbished and sells decent food.

peterfile
    Free Member

Red Squirrel is OK since Hugh spent some cash and put in new toilet/shower blocks.

It will be reasonably quiet now. It has one advantage over Invercoe in that you can have a fire.

Invercoe is a much nicer site, but you can feel a bit wedged in between the caravans. The facilities are good and the views across the loch are great. It does feel like a “site” though, compared to Red Squirrel’s more “rustic” charms 😉 The owners of Ivercoe are very nice people and really helpful. Not suggesting Hugh at RS isn’t nice, but he does take a bit of getting used to.

I’m not sure how much of a faff it would be for you, but you can park outside Arkverikie Estate and walk down to the enormous beach at Loch Laggan. Pitch up in the sheltered grassy areas just back from the beach and enjoy a whole beach to yourselves. We bivvy there all the time and the estate guys are pretty tolerant of respectful campers. If the weather is good, it could be quite fun to rig up a tarp and just bivvy under the stars?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Taking the kids camping in a couple of weeks time for 4 nights – scotland.’ is closed to new replies.