Home Forums Bike Forum Taking a mtb on a plane

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Taking a mtb on a plane
  • gooner666

I’ve not done it for a long time and thinking about a trip next year so been looking online/YouTube and it seems a lot of people recommend removing brake discs from the wheels.

I haven’t done this in the past, is it recommended now?

I did in one direction but couldn’t be arsed in the other. They were fine. Alaska Air to BC for reference.

edit to say I’d still take them off on the way to a biking vacation, though, just avoid having issues at the start.

johnhe

I do. But in the past, I didn’t, and that worked ok too. If I don’t, then I pad out the wheel, beside the rotor, to make sure nothing can push in, and bend the rotor.

crazy-legs

I do on my road bike, mostly cos the way the wheels stack in the lid of the bike box puts one rotor rim right up against the tyre of the other wheel.

Plus they’re CentreLock so it’s only about 30 seconds to remove and refit a rotor.

I think a different box design where the wheels were in their own bag or something, there’d be no need for removal.

5lab
    Free Member

I haven’t taken my rotors off in maybe 30 flights, never had an issue. I do pack the wheels rotor-in, I can’t see how anything would damage them without taking out half the bike

Kramer
    Free Member

I do.

sharkattack

Never taken them off. Never had a problem.

uniqueusername

We’ve never taken them off transporting in evoc bags ( one pro one normal) with no issues

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve always taken them off.  Couple of minutes effort, why not.

euain

My bag says to leave them on and has some padding/protection for them (Evoc pro). However, summer trip to Morzine 2 years ago, disc was pretty mangled when we got there and had to borrow a spare.

I take them off now. Or do on the way out, risk it way back if I’m being lazy.

Flaperon

Never taken them off on multiple trips, never had a problem. Bike travels inside a VeloVault2.

(Although I managed to Pringle one of them by knocking the bike over in the hotel room).

onehundredthidiot

Yes, doesn’t add much time to build. It would take a hellavu bump to bend it in an evoc bag but better safe and all that.

jimmy748

Evoc bag and always take them off.

Brainflex

Cardboard box n left em on but had the disc inwards n clothing around the rear. I did take the rear derailleur off though.

fooman

Mods please change thread title to ‘Brakes on a Plane’

mikeyp

Evoc Pro. Supposed to be ok without taking off. 6th flight both discs bent enough to be v annoying. I will now take them off 100% on the way out. No promises on return

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.