Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 280 total)
  • Sycamoreless Gap
    neilthewheel

“Did your assault cause a national furore with demands for action from senior politicians? You’d be surprised how motivating that can be for Chief Constables.”

Can you hazard a guess what the consequences will be for anyone at any level in the police if they fail to bring anyone to book? Or how many shits they will give?

neilthewheel
    bikesandboots

It’s being chopped up and removed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-67077617

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Whittling down the suspects. Eventually they’ll make the charges stick. One will bough to pressure and  the crown prosecution service will bring the sap to book etc…….

desperatebicycle

Looks like it’s going to be featured on Countryfile today.

Drac

Anyone else sycamore updates?

jag61

I thought they’d caught the bloak what done it? Needs his hide tannin

brian2
    Free Member

😂😂. According to the hopeful romanticists, it’ll be back to it’s full glory soon🙄. I did larf at some sap placing a bunch of (now dead) flowers on the stump 🫤

CountZero

According to the hopeful romanticists, it’ll be back to it’s full glory soon

It might be on whatever TicToc channel you follow; meanwhile, back in the real world it will almost certainly carry on growing, and producing new growth, but it will never be exactly the same, for reasons that should be obvious.
    I truly fail to understand why people would do this. 🤷🏼

tjagain

its a sycamore.  almost impossible to kill.  It will regrow several trunks from the stump.  trim back to one and it will grow into a tree again.  Thats what sycamores do.  Its often done deliberately with trees to provide firewood without killing the tree.  Coppicing its called when deliberate

Yes it will take a while to regrow into a mature tree but it will regrow

somafunk

They should allow it coppice then plait all the new growth together for as long as possible

kayak23

I did larf at some sap placing a bunch of (now dead) flowers on the stump 🫤

Yeah, probably one of them saps who’d scattered a loved ones ashes there and for whom the tree held enormous emotional significance, lolz..

thecaptain
    Free Member

There was national mourning in Japan when we lived there over a famous 500y old ginkgo tree that was blown over in a storm one night (just after we walked past it).

As well as the roots sprouting, they stood up a section of trunk and I think even that’s started to grow again too.

longdog
    Free Member

It will regrow several trunks from the stump. trim back to one and it will grow into a tree again.

We had a massive Hawthorne (+2′ girth in Shetland) in our garden that finally blew over and had to be cut up. The next year there were loads shoots 4′ tall that we thinned out, the following year they were several of a good thickness and about 6-7′ when we left. Hopefully whoever’s there now is looking after it.

It’s really really shit what happened, but it will regrow. Sycamore grow like weeds really and in a woodland I managed we had to take 8 mature ones out a year in favour of native and less invasive species.

The national park guy on countryfile said they’ll be protecting regrowth from grazing, and taking it from there, so I’m sure something will grow back, but it’ll take some time and won’t be in its original iconic form.

desperatebicycle

How long you been holding onto that one? :P

Smudger666

Back in my Biomass days, a forester once told me sycamores are the ‘weeds’ of the forestry industry.  It’ll coppice and be back, different but the same sycamore.

edit – same as what longdog said actually.

redmex
    Free Member

No pun intended but bring back the birch and teach them a lesson, much cheaper for public finances
    Does the IOM still do it ?

Drac

According to the hopeful romanticists, it’ll be back to it’s full glory soon

No one claimed soon but it will rapidly grow, it’s what sycamores do and they often coppice them. 

How long you been holding onto that one?

Soon as I read the post I responded to. 

gobuchul
    Free Member

Our neighbours have 3 massive sycamores.

Their seeds get everywhere and sprout incredibly quickly.

The leaves make an absolute mess.

bikesandboots
    lister

At least we know they aren’t Irish.

Poopscoop

The older of the 2 has had a lot of his life posted online by the Mail… No comment on possible motive though.

Daffy

If found guilty, what  would be a suitable punishment for these two pricks?

daviek

Good god time fly’s by. Didn’t realise this was last October

Poopscoop

Daffy
    If found guilty, what would be a suitable punishment for these two pricks?

Stocks and free rotten eggs/veg for the public to throw at them… or community service in some sort of conservation setting.

bikesandboots

More than they will get.

The incident seems to have awoken (temporarily, at least) a realisation that not enough is done to prevent and deter acts like this. However they will be charged in accordance with the laws in force at the time.

Are there any precedents?

Or to take it to extreme, what could you be charged with for demolishing Tower Bridge or a cathedral etc. ?

Practically to hurt someone like this, I’d have them barred for life from holding any licenses for tree work, being a member of any forestry related organisation, and from owning any chainsaw or similar equipment.

Ambrose

Criminal damage.

dissonance

Are there any precedents?

Criminal damage to the tree and also the additional offence of damaging a historic monument since it hit the wall.

Or to take it to extreme, what could you be charged with for demolishing Tower Bridge or a cathedral etc. ?

In those cases I expect counter terrorism laws about bombs and putting all the passerby lives at risk.

Daffy

Could this be classed as destruction of cultural heritage?   There are international laws for this both in and out of conflict, but in UK law I can only see references to conflict.

Daffy

Practically to hurt someone like this, I’d have them barred for life from holding any licenses for tree work, being a member of any forestry related organisation, and from owning any chainsaw or similar equipment.

How about a number of days community service equal to the age in years of the tree and/or wall spent planting trees, the cost of which is to be provided by the seizure of assets or future pay similar to a student loan repayment – whichever is easier for the government/court?

poly
    Free Member

There are international laws for this both in and out of conflict, but in UK law I can only see references to conflict.

The wall will be a scheduled ancient monument.  Which has its own offences, but I think the penalties are actually lower than the max for criminal damage.

Poopscoop

Bold look to turn up at court with.

Still, no sweat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-69011665

Screenshot_20240515-164515

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yeah, the one on the right seems a little ‘nervous’!

crazy-legs

Pop them into some quick drying concrete up to their ankles then chainsaw through their legs and watch them fall over. Punishment to fit the crime and all that…

martinhutch

Is that Prince Andrew?

imnotverygood

There’s something about that photo that shouts ‘guilty’

Poopscoop

imnotverygood
    There’s something about that photo that shouts ‘guilty’

Yeah, it’s hard to put your finger on it…

I’m guessing they haven’t heard of social media as their faces are all over it. Perhaps it’s just a new fashion trend rather than an odd attempt at anonymity?

ElShalimo

Or maybe they are practicing gimps?

Tom-B
    Free Member

The BBC article has the ‘artists court sketch’ of them 🤣

What a pair of Jeremy Hunts

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 280 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.