Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 260 total)
  • Sycamoreless Gap
  • neilthewheel

“Did your assault cause a national furore with demands for action from senior politicians? You’d be surprised how motivating that can be for Chief Constables.”

Can you hazard a guess what the consequences will be for anyone at any level in the police if they fail to bring anyone to book? Or how many shits they will give?

neilthewheel
    bikesandboots

It’s being chopped up and removed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-67077617

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Whittling down the suspects. Eventually they’ll make the charges stick. One will bough to pressure and  the crown prosecution service will bring the sap to book etc…….

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Looks like it’s going to be featured on Countryfile today.

Drac

Anyone else sycamore updates?

jag61

I thought they’d caught the bloak what done it? Needs his hide tannin

brian2
    Free Member

😂😂. According to the hopeful romanticists, it’ll be back to it’s full glory soon🙄. I did larf at some sap placing a bunch of (now dead) flowers on the stump 🫤

CountZero

According to the hopeful romanticists, it’ll be back to it’s full glory soon

It might be on whatever TicToc channel you follow; meanwhile, back in the real world it will almost certainly carry on growing, and producing new growth, but it will never be exactly the same, for reasons that should be obvious.
    I truly fail to understand why people would do this. 🤷🏼

tjagain

its a sycamore.  almost impossible to kill.  It will regrow several trunks from the stump.  trim back to one and it will grow into a tree again.  Thats what sycamores do.  Its often done deliberately with trees to provide firewood without killing the tree.  Coppicing its called when deliberate

Yes it will take a while to regrow into a mature tree but it will regrow

somafunk

They should allow it coppice then plait all the new growth together for as long as possible

kayak23

I did larf at some sap placing a bunch of (now dead) flowers on the stump 🫤

Yeah, probably one of them saps who’d scattered a loved ones ashes there and for whom the tree held enormous emotional significance, lolz..

thecaptain
    Free Member

There was national mourning in Japan when we lived there over a famous 500y old ginkgo tree that was blown over in a storm one night (just after we walked past it).

As well as the roots sprouting, they stood up a section of trunk and I think even that’s started to grow again too.

longdog
    Free Member

It will regrow several trunks from the stump. trim back to one and it will grow into a tree again.

We had a massive Hawthorne (+2′ girth in Shetland) in our garden that finally blew over and had to be cut up. The next year there were loads shoots 4′ tall that we thinned out, the following year they were several of a good thickness and about 6-7′ when we left. Hopefully whoever’s there now is looking after it.

It’s really really shit what happened, but it will regrow. Sycamore grow like weeds really and in a woodland I managed we had to take 8 mature ones out a year in favour of native and less invasive species.

The national park guy on countryfile said they’ll be protecting regrowth from grazing, and taking it from there, so I’m sure something will grow back, but it’ll take some time and won’t be in its original iconic form.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

How long you been holding onto that one? 😛

Smudger666

Back in my Biomass days, a forester once told me sycamores are the ‘weeds’ of the forestry industry.  It’ll coppice and be back, different but the same sycamore.

edit – same as what longdog said actually.

redmex
    Free Member

No pun intended but bring back the birch and teach them a lesson, much cheaper for public finances
    Does the IOM still do it ?

Drac

According to the hopeful romanticists, it’ll be back to it’s full glory soon

No one claimed soon but it will rapidly grow, it’s what sycamores do and they often coppice them. 

How long you been holding onto that one?

Soon as I read the post I responded to. 

gobuchul
    Free Member

Our neighbours have 3 massive sycamores.

Their seeds get everywhere and sprout incredibly quickly.

The leaves make an absolute mess.

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 260 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.