Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 280 total)
  • Sycamoreless Gap
    13thfloormonk

PXL_20230930_105542203

Roads above Dundee today, the similarity was more striking in real life.

winston2005

Whilst appalled like most others on this thread. Cant help thinking this would of probably only made the local news if it happened 20 or 30 years ago.

Some the comments calling ‘twunt’ tenant farmers on here are quite frankly shocking.

Many tenant farmers live a hand to mouth existence, farming on such marginal land.

Grew up in the area, and can remember you used to see hardly anyone at Sycamore Gap or the wall for that matter.

Hopefully the area will still get visitors, although I guess the insta crowd wont be back

Drac

Some the comments calling ‘twunt’ tenant farmers on here are quite frankly shocking.

Sadly it’s not just here. Lots on social media blaming the local farmers.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Many tenant farmers live a hand to mouth existence, farming on such marginal land.

Comment. In the singular, thanks. I’ve live (very) local, all of my 56 years and ‘some’ (not all of course but by god they make up for the nice ones and then some) of the local tenant farmers are sadly absolutely bell’s but let’s not let that get in the way. Please don’t take my comment out of context please!

Many do live hand to mouth many also don’t, I wouldn’t want their life but that’s my choice.

brian2
    Free Member

I see an attention seeker has publicly expressed his disgust at NT removing the sapling he decided to plant in it’s place. I knew it wouldn’t take long. Something he bought at a garden centre.

They used to only come out at night. Now they get the oxygen of publicity.

Houns

Yeah I’ve family members who used to be tenant farmers a bit further east from there, they had some of the wall on the land they farmed, and they’re certainly not in the twunt category.

Anyway, just seen pix of police taking away a bagged up husky saw, from a farm.

winston2005

Yep apparently the NT had already indicated they would move the recently planted tree and inform the person in question. Seems hes never been to the spot, previously so yes seems to be an attention seeker.

Poopscoop

1000 year old yew tree ripped out by a farmer down here on a site near the Battle of Hastings.

I love Yew trees, lovely old things.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23824095.yew-tree-predates-battle-hastings-felled/

thenorthwind

😞

tjagain

Im far more upset about that Yew than the sycamore.

burko73

Sounds like the old guy they arrested is an ex lumberjack. His daughter says he’s too ill to have done something physical like that as he has leaky heart valves. He’s recently been or is being evicted (by the NT?). Given the paint marks on the tree and the half arsed job of carrying out the felling could he have painted the lines/ shown the young lad they also arrrested and bailed where to cut/ what to do? I’m no Quincy but sounds like the likely chain of events to me!

Bunnyhop

I’m disgusted by the felling of that Yew. These are precious with medicinal properties, berries for the birds, evergreen thus providing shelter for all sorts of beasties all year round.

dyna-ti

Given the paint marks on the tree and the half arsed job of carrying out the felling could he have painted the lines/ shown the young lad they also arrested and bailed where to cut/ what to do? I’m no Quincy but sounds like the likely chain of events to me!

Hmmmm. Conspiracy much ?

sharkbait
    Free Member

police taking away a bagged up husky saw, from a farm.

They can do oil analysis to see of it matches the chain oil in the saw.

blokeuptheroad

They can do oil analysis to see of it matches the chain oil in the saw.

What would be the point of that? Chainsaw oil isn’t unique to each chainsaw. It’s not like a fingerprint or DNA. At best it might tell you the same brand was used, but probably also used in thousands of other chainsaws, therefore of no evidential value.

Paint chips off it left at the scene might be more viable. Not convinced though they’ll be using such expensive forensic techniques on what legally (if not morally) is a fairly minor crime.

steveb

Bent or damaged teeth on the chain, could be matched to the cut surface of the tree.

sharkbait
    Free Member

. It’s not like a fingerprint or DNA.

And neither is paint – it’s not conclusive but not all oil will be the same (he may be a cheap skate and use vegetable or old engine oil) but it adds to a case, as does paint chips and finding synamore dust/chips on the saw and maybe the same soil on his boots.

Oil analysis is not “forensic” or expensive either.

blokeuptheroad

Oil analysis is not “forensic”

Forensic evidence = ‘criminal evidence gathered through scientific methods’. Chemical analysis of oil found at a ‘crime scene’ clearly meets that definition. In the real world those resources are used in violent crime, robbery etc. Not breaking a tree protection order or damaging a dry stone wall

jamiemcf

I’d imagine soil on his boots, any stray hairs found on the site coupled with the same oil brand may be better indicators. Could the triangulate his phone history???

Drac

Can we lay off the speculation of who it is please. It’s a live case remember.

spooky_b329

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-67015699

“Sycamore Gap: Hadrian’s Wall damage found after tree cut down”

Perhaps they will prosecute for damage to a Scheduled Monument :)

dyna-ti

Can we lay off the speculation of who it is please. It’s a live case remember.

Thread killer.

I really doubt any speculation on a cycling forum would have any bearing whatsoever on such a case.

Dickyboy

Perhaps they will prosecute for damage to a Scheduled Monument 🙂

Seems the most likely, as cutting down a tree (didn’t have a tpo?) is otherwise a fairly minor crime.

matt_outandabout

Perhaps they will prosecute for damage to a Scheduled Monument

Time to break out this classic again. Ahem.

C2C2006039 by Matt[/url], on Flickr

Bunnyhop

Weeing into a watercourse is more damaging :0)

Drac

Thread killer.

I really doubt any speculation on a cycling forum would have any bearing whatsoever on such a case.

Possibly not but the owners can get in a lot of trouble.

The thread can still carry on. 

mrchrist

We need more signs in our life!!

burko73

If I was the forensic guy I’d be looking for chips of the sycamore gap tree under the clutch cover of his chainsaw or in his boots/ (chainsaw) trouser pockets. 

neilthewheel

The penalty for damaging a scheduled monument is max 2 yrs or unlimited fine.

some of you are watching too many tv forensics shows. When I was assaulted(by a farmer who tore my videocam off it’s handlebar mount and smashed it on the ground, the police refused to test it for fingerprints on the grounds that the camera wasn’t high value. Then they said they couldn’t prosecute because they had no evidence. They’re hardly going to throw resources at a tree worth zero. Best they’ll hope for is a confession or someone coming forward with more information.

martinhutch

Did your assault cause a national furore with demands for action from senior politicians? You’d be surprised how motivating that can be for Chief Constables.

Which is probably why they’ve gone and seen if there’s even a scratch on the wall, because it opens up more popular charging options.

Drac

The police themselves have reported forensics teams being present.

seadog101

Forensic evidence will easily tie the suspects to the location.  If you go anywhere, there’ll be a bit of you at the scene, and bit of the scene on you.

Additional evidence will link the chain saw to the damage, having the saw in your possession, etc etc, it all builds into a case that will be argued about in court.

thenorthwind

Not breaking a tree protection order or damaging a dry stone wall

Point of order: Hadrian’s Wall was built using a primitive form of concrete. It’s not a dry stone wall. Back to CSI: Twice Brewed.

timba
    Free Member

Forensic evidence will easily tie the suspects to the location.  If you go anywhere, there’ll be a bit of you at the scene, and bit of the scene on you.

Locard’s exchange principle; the original silent witness. But when were they at the location? School trip the week before?

It’s one thread in a gazillion that need to be drawn together

Drac

Locard’s exchange principle; the original silent witness. But when were they at the location? School trip the week before?

Sawdust wasn’t there the week before, nor were the fresh footprints or the chainsaw teeth marks that match the cut of the suspect’s saw. 

benpinnick

They’re hardly going to throw resources at a tree worth zero

Value is probably not important, what it comes down to is what they choose to allocate resources too. And you can bet they’re allocating loads to this.

Back to CSI: Twice Brewed.

Surely it would be CSI: Once Brewed?

hot_fiat

Hadrian’s Wall was built using a primitive form of concrete

second point of order. It wasn’t primitive, it was hydraulic. You could mix it and it would go off underwater, or the pi$$ing Northumberland rain. 

timba
    Free Member

Sawdust wasn’t there the week before, nor were the fresh footprints or the chainsaw teeth marks that match the cut of the suspect’s saw

You’re assuming that anything that links suspect to scene was found at all.

My chainsaw was stolen but I found it in the field nearby, etc… One thread in a gazillion

thenorthwind

Surely it would be CSI: Once Brewed?

Depends which way you come at it.

second point of order. It wasn’t primitive, it was hydraulic. You could mix it and it would go off underwater, or the pi$$ing Northumberland rain. 

I bow to your more concrete understanding.

Drac

You’re assuming that anything that links suspect to scene was found at all.

I’m not, just pointing out what they may be looking for. 

My chainsaw was stolen but I found it in the field nearby, etc… One thread in a gazillion

And it just happened to have sawdust from the sycamore on it. 

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 280 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.