Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Switching broadband provider – what happens on the day?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve signed up with Sky for my broadband and tomorrow is my switch date (from Plusnet).

Of course, that’s the day, I have important web meetings for work…

So, what typically happens on the day? Will my plusnet broadband keep working until the time that it switches to Sky (ie it’ll just stop working at some point) or will the broadband be off all day until the switch to Sky is completed whenever that is?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

IIRC, you’ll have at least a couple of hours of downtime.
    If your meetings can’t be re-arranged either tether via your phone or pop down the local cafe with wi-fi & grab some munchies while you’re there.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ll manage for a short while via a hotspot – just didn’t want to be running the whole day without… Thanks for the reply.

spence
    Free Member

Did this last Friday, BT to Plusnet and there was a dark period in the process.
    Phone changed over just after nine am and the BT BB was no longer available. Plusnet broadband wasn’t ready until half two, however this was better than they had originally said of the following day.

nemesis
    Free Member

Well, it just happened. Broadband (via Plusnet) dropped out a little while ago. The switch over took about the length of time it took me to change over the hub from the Plusnet one to the Sky one – eg less than 10 minutes.

allan23
    Free Member

Depends on what they’re doing.

PlusNet on Openreach WLR3 to Sky LLU and there will be downtime while someone switches your connection between the two networks. May even involve a new socket installation – it’s been a while since I worked in that industry.

If it’s WLR3 to WLR3 then it’s a switch of the tag on the line and as soon as you notice your PlusNet router stop working, your Sky one should then work when you plug it in.

Depending on how friendly Sky are feeling they may or may not have given you the info of what’s involved and you’ll have got the standard, “We’re doing stuff, stuff will happen sometime before 7pm and by then you should be back online and stuff.”

nemesis
    Free Member

I got the standard – any time by midnight…

It was non fibre with plusnet going to fibre on Sky

allan23
    Free Member

If you’re going to fibre there’s usually a change over in the street cabinet. You old broadband should just stop working. When it does plug in the new router and hopefully it will be all ready.

They used to patch you into the new fibre cabinet and then come round to the house to test so you knew when it was done, seen a few now where you only know because the old broadband goes off.

epicyclo

My experience…3 months later only just got connected.

That wasn’t a switch though, just a move 100 yards up the road. (BT) It was all supposed to happen on the day we closed down the old house account.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Switching broadband provider – what happens on the day?’ is closed to new replies.