Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 207 total)
  • Swinley forest
  • timmys

I dream of having somewhere as interesting as Swinley local to me. Bloody Herts/Cambs flat lands 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

Even flat out they require no braking

Arf!

catfood
    Free Member

I always get my days off down the week and used to practically have the place to myself, I never actually went there at the weekend.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I feel the need for a sexyparty so those naysayers can show off their owsumz skillz to us mere mortals.

And can we tempt Yeti and PhilConsequence and his tattoos out?

dissonance

to which the honest answer has to be

The honest answer for those people is it is crap. Nothing wrong with that. Its for for the OP and others to look at those answers and then those from others to decide whether it is worth it.

Personally I would say it is worth a trip especially if a mate really wants to meet there. Get them to put you up and have beer and food afterwards.

From a pure riding viewpoint its not high on my list to revisit but its fun enough for a day out.  May give it another go if everything turns to mud again.

dissonance

Bloody Herts/Cambs flat lands

Aston hill or Woburn get good reviews depending on your type of riding.

Plus if you get into the Hertford area although its bitty and short some not bad stuff there.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Maybe I’m being overly harsh then, or viewing it with whatever the opposite of rose-tinted spectacles is!

Might find a quiet couple of hours and give it another chance..

theotherjonv

Disconnect your brakes first, and make an attempt on JoeFM’s stack of KoM’s. Film it so we can see how you get round the labyrinth rooty hairpins ‘flat out’.

DezB
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon

I feel the need for a sexyparty so those naysayers can show off their owsumz skillz to us mere mortals.
    And can we tempt Yeti and PhilConsequence and his tattoos out?

That’s the spirit …

I’d drive 1hr 5mins for one of those 😆

kelron
    Free Member

First time I went to Swinley I pulled over half way round Stickler to let someone pass. He was going about as fast as I would be downhill, flying out of the rollers and into the corners.

Sounds like it could have been joefm, except he seemed like he was enjoying himself.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Disconnect your brakes first, and make an attempt on JoeFM’s stack of KoM’s. Film it so we can see how you get round the labyrinth rooty hairpins ‘flat out’.

Hey, I never claimed to be fast.. 😉 Anyone who I’ve ridden with would testify to that..

theotherjonv

I never claimed to be fast

There’s your answer – go faster (flat out, no brakes is the recommendation), and you’ll be transported into the magical world of funswinley* 😉

Kind of like BTTF, but with bikes.

* or the A&E dept of Frimley Park

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds like it could have been joefm, except he seemed like he was enjoying himself…

…and was riding a bike. 😉

weeksy

Brilliant thread now…. 🙂

dissonance

Film it so we can see how you get round the labyrinth rooty hairpins ‘flat out’.

I have been thinking about trying some sports photography so would be happy to help.

senorj

I’d drive 80 minutes for a sexy party .

fatandgrey
    Free Member

I just spent a great morning over there today. Blue/Red/crowthorne Woods/Barosa/Red/Blue

loved it, didn’t set the world on fire, only met two other bikes.

I’m 55, get out now and again and live 30mins away so it’s perfect for me.

Just saying 🙂

tails
    Free Member

It’s one of the few trail centres I’ve been to I really liked all the big swoopy bomb hole type bits, as it’s so manicured you pick up speed very quickly. I liked this bit where there are 3 downhill trails starting from one point, what’s that called? I think my problem with it comparing it to Cannock Chase is the Swinley tries to hard to make a trail rather than following the flow of the land, Cannock was also a lot more beaten up with breaking bumps you could launch off. The good bits at Swinley with the big berms are good fun though and like anywhere a couple of mates are going to have a laugh.

What are these Welsh trail centres like? I presume more rocky than manicured?

mark d
    Free Member

I love it when people say they hate Swinley;stay away then,we don’t need you.

The ‘old’ Swinley was amazing but then people pissed and moaned that they could never find a route without a local.

Then they built some trails.

‘Can do everything there on a single speed hardtail road bike etc etc ‘ well then go for it, have a crap day.

Can’t win.

I love it there, and would happily show someone from anywhere in the world around the trails. Especially a mate.

I remember when you could ride the ancient fort that we are not allowed to ride on now,(showing my age ) edit again, nobody knew it was an ancient fort until was discovered by people in the know)

We make the best of Swinley and I’m bloody glad it’s on my doorstep.

ta11pau1

I like Swinley purely for the fact that it’s one of the few places in the South East which is still ridable in the depths of winter. Any non-trail centre riding near me is just a complete mudfest with extra slippery chalk/flint.

It’s the same reason I’ll be riding Bedgebury and other places this winter. Not sure how Surrey hills rides when it’s wet but I’ll probably look to do a guided day there just so I don’t spent 5 hours lost…

parkstar
    Free Member

To be honest, i live less than half a mile from the entrance to swinley, but since learning my way around peaslake etc i have probably ridden there twice in about 4 years? Personally i think the man made surface isnt great in the dry, and in the wet it seems to reduce your drivetrain to dust in about 5 miles.

i dont buy the whole “you arent riding fast enough” arguement either, trails dont need to be fast to be fun, they just need to be fun. though i do see the appeal to families or groups where people may have slightly less experience, due to the easily mapped out trails etc.

stevextc
    Free Member

I just spent a great morning over there today. Blue/Red/crowthorne Woods/Barosa/Red/Blue

loved it, didn’t set the world on fire, only met two other bikes.

I’m 55, get out now and again and live 30mins away so it’s perfect for me.

Yeah if you get there mid week or really early or evenings it can be very pleasant.  It’s also a good place when it’s chucking it down.

Otherwise it’s usually packed…. often with riders going so slowly you’ll need brakes on the uphills as well.  (Especially when they suddenly stop).  Quite often the density of beginners is so high you wait until they are far enough ahead to let you have a good run to where you calculate you’ll be able to pass then a new group appears and goes in front of you…or you have to go early and catch the ones in front then have to crawl behind.

(When I say crawl I am usually with my lad…)

OR you can look for some off-piste… but no-one will tell you where it is so you potentially spend most of the time looking for it, if the OP’s mate knows then it would be OK but if not then weekends it’s like often the M25.

molgrips
    Free Member

i dont buy the whole “you arent riding fast enough” arguement either, trails dont need to be fast to be fun, they just need to be fun.

What you said is true, BUT that doesn’t change the fact that Swinley is much more fun (and technical) the faster you go.

What are these Welsh trail centres like? I presume more rocky than manicured?

Cwmcarn yes, Afan not so much, Llandegla and Brechfa definitely not.

Anyway the OP is going to have to go to Swinley now just to see for himself, I think 🙂

root-n-5th
    Free Member

How about another STW Swinley meet up? I always get lost so good to have a local lead the way, especially the off-piste stuff.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Fast doesn’t make Swinley cobbles more fun. It’s just masochistic.

Has it’s charms though, but I date back to pre-gingerfication when the majority of my route would involve soft, some loam and a few roots. In fact if I go there these days… it still does 😉

Of the full official blue/red, I think I’ve only done it three or four times since it opened.

Swinley has a love-hate element for me as that’s where I started properly off-roading and do thank it for getting me in to riding, and does have fun bits. Rode there for couple of years and then was introduced to Surrey Hills and then different game entirely. Realised also that climbing fitness was going nowhere round Swinley. Came on loads climbing the hills of Surrey. Tunnel Hill, Caesars and other places also take far higher precedence than going to Swinley. Even xc-ing round Frensham/Farnham/Puttenham. In fact I prefer that kind of thing and exploring to trail centres these days anyway.

As a Bird owner I can’t entirely hate Swinley given the “Born in Swinley” sticker on it 😀 (though being a Zero, it’s rough as hell on the cobbles there ).

DezB
    Free Member

How about another STW Swinley meet up?

Last one was arranged by Weeksy, who didn’t turn up. It rained, I died, etc. But I’d be up for another one! 😀

kelron
    Free Member

I’d be up for one. Never managed to wake up in time for the last few

jimdubleyou

The hub do a Thursday night ride.

It starts at 7pm though, so I have never managed to pull my finger out and get there in time…

Akers

Couldn’t make it to the last one, but the STW Swinley Snowduro edition back in March was fun. I’d be game for another group ride.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

The snow was pretty good fun and the route was great. I really haven’y been out much lately so will be hanging on at the back if we arrange something. Still would like to do another though.

DezB
    Free Member

It starts at 7pm though

That would kind of exclude the 2 hours there and back folk… 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Premier Icondeadkenny
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Has it’s charms though, but I date back to pre-gingerfication when the majority of my route would involve soft, some loam and a few roots. In fact if I go there these days… it still does

</div>

Gingercist!

joefm

Forgot about the ‘black bit’ in the trees.  So that’s two/three braking points?

None of the ginger surfaced track needs any thought whatsoever.

weeksy

I did turn up to the one before that in the snow though 🙂

I’m more than happy to arrange another. See incoming thread in 2.

DezB
    Free Member

Yo! 😀

(Can you entitle it “The Swinley is Boring Meetup” please)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Forgot about the ‘black bit’ in the trees.  So that’s two/three braking points?

You should come along if weeksy organises a group ride, bring protection though we don’t all want to get pregnant being in the same space as your awesomeness.

(Can you entitle it “The Swinley is Boring Meetup” please)

Needs more alliteration

molgrips
    Free Member

Well given that it’s killed at least one person, I would disagree.

It’s what you make it.  If you trundle it’s rubbish.  If you’re fit and fast it’s good.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you’re fit and fast it’s good.

No, it’s still rubbish. 🙂

pickle
    Free Member

would rather stay in bed than ride Swinley.  been a few times as I thought I’d give it the benefit of the doubt first time round…….nope it was still as dull.

Fine if it’s on your door step I guess but wouldn’t travel any distance for it.

thepurist

It’s what you make it.  If you trundle it’s rubbish.  If you’re fit and fast it’s good.

But if your totes amazeballs boom gnarly sick to the power of rad then it’s just a waste of your tyre rubber.  Just ask Joe

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘Swinley forest’ is closed to new replies.