Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Swinley Alternatives
  • steve17
    Free Member

Could anyone recomend any alternatives to swinley.

I live in Basingstoke and am looking for singletrack. My favourites at Swinley are Stickler , Tank Traps , Seagul Run and Labyrinth.

I have tryed the down hill trails but beeing new to the sport feel more confident at the XC, although saying that would still be opened to a harder challenge. I have treyd Baby Maker and Dearstalker but haven’t attacked at speed.

Any ideas? I have heard of Croft trail at Swindon , how does that compare?

Also tryed Surrey Hills but the trails seem to be well hidden and spent most of the time climbing firetracks!

tonyd

Hi,

Someone more knowledgable will surely be along soon but I’m not sure you’ll find anything as easy to navigate as Swinley in the area. I live in Fleet and ride Swinley a lot, but there is also a lot of MOD land that can be ridden, however as with the Surrey Hills the trails aren’t that clearly defined. For the most part you need to just ride around, get lost a few times, and get to know an area.

If you prefer XC (not much else round these parts!) you could always try one of the many Gorrick race locations in the area, check their website but off the top of my head Minley Manor, Yateley Common, Tunnel Hill, Fleet/Church Crookham. If they’ve raced recently then so long as you can find the course they should be fairly easy to follow.

There may be course maps on the Gorrick site, or if you use GPS perhaps some kind soul on here has GPX files you could use.

Alternatively why not hook up with either an LBS organised ride or a club like Berks on Bikes or Tunnel Hill Trolls? There must be a club in the Basingstoke area.

Good luck!

spacemonkey

Also tryed Surrey Hills but the trails seem to be well hidden and spent most of the time climbing firetracks!

Yep, the good stuff is indeed well hidden. Hence you’ll have to hook up with someone who knows their way around, or pay a visit to Nirvana (Westcott) or Pedal n Spoke (Peaslake). Tag along with them for a ride or grab a map of two.

Way more trails than you might think – and a whole lot more to explore than Swinley.

steve17
    Free Member

Thanks to all of you for the advice.

I may try Surrey hills again.

Last time I tryed I was on the hill with the Barry knows Best trail. Tryed it 3 or 4 times and what with all the climbing I was done for.

Guess I will have to explore another of the hills.

Thanks again for your help

mattstreet

steve17 – ever tried any of the riding down near Four Marks near Alton? There’s a pretty sweet loop in the Rough Ride Guide that goes through it and takes in some other nice trails.

I suspect North Downs / Surrey Hills will be swarmed with Swinley evacuees this weekend!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Try hooking up with the MuddyMoles on a Sunday morning, or the Diary of a Mountain bike guys on a Saturday or Sunday.

There is also the Tunnel Hill Trolls, which will be on the way to Swinley for you.

I also spotted this:

http://mountainbikinggodalming.co.uk/

to book contact Anita Harris (! if you’re an old git).

5AM
    Free Member

Steve17 if you see this and would like a riding partner drop me an email at samfinch1 AT yahoo.co.uk
    Currently living in Reading, but I’m moving to Basingstoke in the next couple of months.
    Sounds like we are probably at fairly similar levels too.

viv
    Free Member

there are some cool trails round caversham, checkendon, mapledurham, kidmore end sort of way – had a mooch round my pre car trails – not bad in places

also, kaned it up the ridgeway today, quality rides to be had there, not techy but you can build up some speed on the downhill stretches

allthepies
    Free Member

Whatever happened to getting an OS map and exploring ? Everyone seems to want it on a plate these days </sadoldtimer>

catfood
    Free Member

Steve if you go to the Surrey Hills again there is lots on Holmbury Hill to keep you busy, I usually ride up it about three times doing various trails, Holmbury is the Hill that BKB is on and if you can find the top of the hill then Yoghurt Pots and Doc at the Radar Station both start at the same point about 75 yards from the top, just turn around at the trig point and take the fire road to the right, Yoghurt Potts (right hand trail of the two) spits you out near a green bench and if you look for some telegraph poles you can follow them all the way to the YHA carpark, this is Telegraph Road. If in need of refreshment turn right and take the trail that crosses Telegraph Road after about 100 yards, this is known as Keep the Faith (tricky when wet) and leads you down to the road next to the pub.
    Apparently Nirvana Cycles in Westcott sell maps that show where all the main trails are, I think Pedal and Spoke at Peaslake may too.

atlaz
    Free Member

steve – there’s often a group of my friends around the Surrey Hills at weekends so drop me an email and if you’re around, you are welcome to tag along.

cinnamon_girl

Whatever happened to getting an OS map and exploring ? Everyone seems to want it on a plate these days </sadoldtimer>

No no let them ride at trail centres thus keeping them off the little gems I’ve discovered over the years. 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

No no let them ride at trail centres thus keeping them off the little gems I’ve discovered over the years.

trust a girl to find the gems…

steve17
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice.

I tryed Surrey Hills on Friday. Had a great time, found Yoghurt Pots and the Telegraph Trail and then was determined to find Summer Lighting on Leith Hill. Took me ages climbing all the Hills and was close to get letting a couple of times but well worth it.

Yoghurt pots was definately my favorite, will probably try Pitch Hill next time.

Those Hills are definately a work out compared to Swinley!

cinnamon_girl

trust a girl to find the gems…

😆

starsh78
    Free Member

rode swinley this evening, went in the back way, no one about 😛

cinnamon_girl

Apparently The Look Out will be open tomorrow with restricted access to the woods.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Swinley Alternatives’ is closed to new replies.