Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Swinley?
  • ononeorange

Anyone know if Swinley is open now or not? I haven’t been for a couple of years, last time I was there practically the whole place was roped off with big no cycling signs everywhere.

I actually have a day off tomorrow and want to ride somewhere that isn’t ten feet deep in mud.

Fully open and riding as good as anywhere in winter.

Nobby

Fully open and riding as good as anywhere in winter.

This.

It was in really good shape on Sunday.

simon_g

Last went a couple of weeks ago and there seems to be more open now than in summer. It was a cold morning and riding really fast – it mostly drains well so very few claggy sections. Should be the same with the recent cold snap and no rain.

ononeorange

Excellent, thanks chaps. It will be nice to be able to ride above walking pace and for more than ten yards in one go for a change!

smatkins1
    Free Member

seems to be more open now than in summer

ground nesting birds have gone innit

I see on the FB Page they’ve reshaped the Red 15 section. I’ll be heading there myself on Thursday for a wiz around.

soobalias
    Free Member

if you aint been for a few years, be prepared to be surprised.
    its rather more ‘waymarked’ than in the old days, most people like the changes

ononeorange

Thanks again. Still have to buy a riding permit from the Visitor Centre?

simon_g

Nope, just pay to use the car park – £2 for up to 4 hours. Cash or card.

bubs

I am heading there tomorrow. Do people just whizz round the blue and red (with a play at the old dh bit) or are there hidden bits? People seem to rave about it now but I found it a bit scalatrix last time I went compared to a couple of years ago. Would a hard tail liven it up or do I just need to go faster to make it more fun? I feel like I am missing out on something.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Do people just whizz round the blue and red (with a play at the old dh bit)

That keeps me happy. But miss the bit over on the Broadmoor side – was it corkscrew? A drop in then lots of tight man made bends down a shallow gully?

marky29er
    Free Member

Yep corkscrew is still there, although not part of the main trail.
    The seagull run (?) was shut on sunday with a diversion, no great loss and so was one of the better red downhill bits before the blue again. This was a shame as its one of my favorite runs there.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I love it there but most people I ride with hate it.

I usually wiz around the red and blue a couple of times and do the descents near the top of Deer Stalker.

soobalias
    Free Member

most people I ride with hate it

if thats a widespread view, i think it will contribute to Swinleys success. Those riders will go elsewhere. The place was dying from overuse, a couple of wet years meant that large areas were becoming unrideable.

Everytime ive been there in the last couple of years its busy but not manic and ive not spoken to anyone who doesnt like it. Its 40mins from here, so its a nice change a couple of times a year. Week in week out, imagine it would get a bit dull.

deviant
    Free Member

or are there hidden bits?

A few of the old steeper sections with bermed corners and drops havent been included in the new trails but they havent been destroyed either so i had a play on them last time i was there….not sure if you’d get a telling off if you were seen doing this but i’ve never seen a ranger over there anyway.

bubs

It’s the nice change angle I am going for. I had to bunny hop a black adder last time I was there (in the summer) which is something I have never had to do in the Surrey hills. I think just putting your head down and blasting around seems the way to go then. Thanks

deadkenny
    Free Member

Officially, there are only the new trails.

Unofficially… it’s all still there really as before 😉

Crowthorne over the fence isn’t part of the Swinley estate anyway and is much the same as always, with the odd bit of forestry work trashing old trails. Gorrick still do stuff there which keeps routes going though.

teasel
    Free Member

It was in really good shape on Sunday.

Shame the riders weren’t, eh. 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Swinley?’ is closed to new replies.