Home Forums Bike Forum Sweat proof lenses for sunglasses

• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by owenh.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sweat proof lenses for sunglasses
  • lunge

I need for new lenses for my Oakley sunglasses as both pairs of polarized lenses have gone bobbly (not sure that’s the right word) like the coating is coming off in the places I think would get most sweat on them.

They are used for cycling and running and so sweat resistance is a must.

Thanks.

citizenlee
    Free Member

Not sure if such a thing exists. Maybe.

You could try wearing a sweatband to catch the sweat though.

tonyd

I think the best bet for sweat is ventilation. If you have to get new lenses, how about new frames too? I got some Oakley Radar last year and have been very impressed with their sweat resistance / ventilation.

garlando

Fyi. This happened to me.  I warrantied them with Oakley and got new glasses.

tall_martin

I wear a buff or cap under my helmet when riding and cap when running. I forgot yesterday and had sweat running down my face a pooling on my glasses.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sweat proof lenses do not exist. The best option is a Halo sweat band.

lunge

Sweat proof lenses do not exist.

Interesting that a brand, and design of glasses marketed and designed for sport wouldn’t be sweatproof…

I do wear a cap or suchlike to stop some sweat but when working hard the sweat often wins.

Anyway, I’ve messaged Oakley, lets see what they say.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok they are sweat proof insofar as sweat does not damage them or leak through them. But the droplet beading technology that they were advertised with a few years ago didn’t work for small droplets and also did not work well for big ones after some time, and the claim was withdrawn IIRC.

I do wear a cap or suchlike to stop some sweat but when working hard the sweat often wins.

The Halo sweat bands have a rubber strip that stops sweat running directly down your forehead. It’s not perfect, the band itself will eventually become saturated, but it’s better than a cap or Buff. And when sweat does build up you can feel it beforehand and wipe it away before it drips onto your glasses.

jkomo

Warranty

scotroutes

I’ve been wearing Oakley’s (with genuine Oakley lenses) for many years and haven’t experienced any “bobbling”. The only reason I’ve changed lenses recently is that my prescription has altered. I wonder if it’s the polarised coating that’s done it for yours?

uniqueusername

I’ve had the peeling thing on Oakley lenses (polarised). I put it down to sun cream not sweat. But also thought if I did a better job of cleaning them regularly (at all) they would have taken longer to fail.

I’ve not learnt my lesson because I’m not cleaning the new lenses any more than the previous ones.

owenh

I have had 2 pairs of Oakley lenses where the coating has flaked off. Started riund the edges and then in the eyeline. Not sure if was down to sweat or suncream. Previous much older Oakley’s Ive owned haven’t suffered in the same way despite being used for same purposes (running & cycling & bit of sailing/kayaking).  Neither were polarised (one Iridium and one Prizm Road). One pair, the Iriduim used mostly for running  I replaced the lenses with a pair from The Sunglass Fix https://www.thesunglassfix.com/ An Australian company (I figured they should know about sun). Delivery was a couple of weeks from memory and the lenses seem very well made and good quality. Only had them for 4 months so time will tell if they last better but no signs so far of any issues.

The Prizm ones I couldn’t find an equivalent tint/transmission % from Sunglass Fix so went with Oakley own again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.