Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 252 total)
  • Surrey Hills STW Ride 22/23 May?
  • njee20
    Free Member

6 pages!

I was thinking about the car park capacity, if I drive I think I'll park in the glade and roll down the hill, suggest a few may like to do the same if you know the area!

and definitely no faffing!

Couldn't agree more! I have no problems riding really slowly, much much prefer that to riding fast, then stopping to faff!

AndyRT
    Free Member

there are a few car parks around Holmbury, Anyone got a link to a map to give everyone a chance to find parking? I would avoid the Pitch car park, because that is always really busy on a sunny sunday.

Maybe we should warn Peaselake stores to get an extra large batch of cheese straws ready! It's the official food of surrey hills cyclists don't you know!

njee20
    Free Member

This is the YHA car park, my second choice would be the one not shown on the map at the end of the yellow road passed 'Felday'.

AndyRT
    Free Member

njee20. your location is not the YHA carpark, You have pointed out the one just up the road, next to the road. Tbe YHA car park is at the top of the little yellow road to the left of your car park, Next to the brown triangle, which is the YHA location. It's at the bottom of the main Telegraph Road trail.

Your carpark highlighted is at the end of the extra wiggle of singletrack to the car park at the bottom. Right?

njee20
    Free Member

Apologies, you're quite right, now I'm just trying to confuse people! I would be inclined to ignore the one that's actually shown on the map as a car park as it's tiny!

HERE, and one above edited for consistency!

stealthcat

Has anyone checked the trains, for those of you planning to head down by train?

I half-heard an announcement at Wimbledon this evening about "Buses replacing trains between Leatherhead and Dorking" at some point this weekend. I wasn't really listening because I'm not riding this weekend, but then I remembered this thread…

fullysussed
    Free Member

Just found this thread – am riding anyway on Sunday around that time, might join u too. how many are going at last count?
    Rode a lot of Leith today for my lunchtime WFH treat (the joys of living in dorking 😉 ) and the trails are sweeeeeet n dry. the odd damp spot but just the usual lingerers. Bet itll be packed at the weekend.
    Hmmmm, having said that, might go out at 5pm like usual and miss the crowds 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

stealthcat – Member

Has anyone checked the trains, for those of you planning to head down by train?

I half-heard an announcement at Wimbledon this evening about "Buses replacing trains between Leatherhead and Dorking" at some point this weekend. I wasn't really listening because I'm not riding this weekend, but then I remembered this thread…

Yes. Buses are replacing trains beween Leatherhead and Dorking. You'll be VERY lucky to find a bus driver who'll let you on with the bike, especially if you're not alone. 😥

njee20
    Free Member

No idea how many are going to turn up, there were a lot saying yes, then other meeting points started to crop up. It looks like the YHA one may still be the biggest, the idea is to split into manageable groups so we get riding done rather than standing around! Suspect it will be busy! Can't decide whether to go up there today or go out on the road!

allyharp

"Buses replacing trains between Leatherhead and Dorking"

Arse. Looks like to have any chance of making it I'll need to catch an 8.35 train – which won't get me into Dorking Deepdene until 10.04, leaving 25 mins to get to Holmbury YH for the meet.

Maybe see you, maybe not.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I'm happy to guide people there by bike (early offroad warm-up – should take about an hour and a half at my pace) but it means leaving from outside Cycleworks in Leatherhead

http://www.cycleworks.co.uk/about/cycleworks-leatherhead

at 9am SHARP. I'll be there from 8:50 to meet anybody who wants to take that option. Look for an old bloke in black on a grey Orange 5/maroon Revs…

njee20
    Free Member

It was unbelievably busy up there today, I was out on the road, but I reckon that's the most cyclists I've ever seen! I guess we can expect the same tomorrow.

I've just had to bodge a different brake and shifter onto the Fuel as Fishers still haven't returned my one! Should be good though. I imagine I'll be fairly distinctive…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Factor 30, everybody!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Indeed. I got a tan in an hour at the pub this lunchtime!

See y'all in the morning. 🙂

XC_PK
    Free Member

Good ride this one, thanks for organising Njee and co! I was in the slow group on the black Chameleon SS with the marmite jersey. Was good to meet you all. Hope the guy who headbutted the tree is ok! Thumbs up to Mark as well – if you are every over Newbury/Swinley way drop me a message and we can go for an SS bimble! Oh and post up your charity link and I'll send some money your way. Now where was that beer I put in the fridge…..

atlaz
    Free Member

Where'd you end up going?

XC_PK
    Free Member

I can't remember! Yogurt pots was mentioned and we did telegraph (?) anyway Im sure someone with a better memory will be along shortly!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

XC_PK – Member

I can't remember! Yogurt pots was mentioned and we did telegraph (?) anyway Im sure someone with a better memory will be along shortly!

Holmbury hilltop. Parklife (AKA Yog pots), Telegraph Road/Telegram Sam. Post-split (petesgaff to home, me to Leith) the rest of 'Team Slowmo' went over and did Bazza, I believe…

From the left: GT, "Strangers To The Forum" 1&2, petesgaff, worldclass accident, XC_PK, thisisnotaspoon

neilnevill
    Free Member

The other group had fun too 😀 Thanks Nick, a great ride.

brooess
    Free Member

Cheers for organising Nick.
    Cheers to everyone else for coming and making up an ace ride
    Gnarlcore to the max 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Where did the other group end up (the fast one that is)?

atlaz
    Free Member

Was going to come but arranged something else to do as I mixed up the weekends. Sounds like I missed a good one (although found some new to me stuff in the area).

singletrackmind

We went up and rode across to BKB and didnt stop at Peaslake Stores.Then up the road to the car park, and up past the windmill and dropped over the road and did the 3 bombholes, on which i binned it in a numpty fashion as i have cleared it often in the past. Fair bit of singletrack, a puncture, lots of faffage, christmas tree or T1 T2 graveyard shift, Cheese straws , Yoghurt pots , Sella Rosa I think, and Telegraph road to finish.
    No great distance but hard work in the heat and dust. Pub stop afters for cheesy chips . Result.
    Good to meet some old and new faces , a grand day out in the sunshine

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sounds like you had a good ride. Those three bomb holes are trickier than you might imagine – let me guess, was it the third one that got you? I've shown it to a few people that I've randomly met over the years and about half of them end up binning it! I've stopped taking peeps down there now because of it.

If anyone wants to explore Leith Hill and doesn't know it I would be happy to lead a ride up there some time soon.

Great to meet you all and in particular it was a privilege to meet Mark, aka Pete's Gaff.

singletrackmind

yep 3rd one, Even having told everyone to avoid the stump I rolled into it too slowly and too 'on the bike' the front wheel didnt clear the first root and stopped dead, and I carried on.

thegerminator
    Free Member

Thanks guys for agreat ride in the
    surrey hills, respect to the single
    speeders especially the guy on the
    ind fab with rigids!
    Now back in devon, my hummer needs
    a faster rider!

pinches
    Free Member

geetee – drop me an email, i'm up for exploring leith, been twice but don't know the area very well.

I actually was on for this but managed to double book a days riding, ended up going to aston hill on my intense instead. Defo up for the next one though!

bullheart
    Free Member

'Twas a great ride, and a good opportunity to meet up with folk from here!
    Need to have another one soon…

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sorry to have missed it, sounded like a good one. I went up there a little earlier to miss the traffic and the heat.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, a spiffing day out in the sun was had by all I believe. 🙂 Thanks to Njee for showing us round and to the purchaser of said cheesy chips! (I forget now…)

😀

brooess
    Free Member

Geetee, email address in profile if you're organising anything… I know the area pretty well but always up for going out with new riding pardners, plus I think there's more stuff on Leith Hill and Redlands than I've found…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheers for a cracking ride, I'll have to make a re-appearance and make a more brakes-off attempt at BKB after flat landing one of the first bombholes and botteling out of the bigger one just after it started to drop down the hill!

njee20
    Free Member

It was a good ride, nice to meet everyone, and enjoy the perfect conditions! I'll upload the GPS course to Garmin Connect when I get a chance for anyone that wants it.

Sorry to miss the pub and cheesy chips!

Also sorry not to really catch up with the other group, you did too good a job of organising yourselves from the car park!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    It was a good ride, nice to meet everyone, and enjoy the perfect conditions! I'll upload the GPS course to Garmin Connect when I get a chance for anyone that wants it.

Sorry to miss the pub and cheesy chips!

Also sorry not to really catch up with the other group, you did too good a job of organising yourselves from the car park!

Yeah, sorry about that. Time was getting on and I was concerned about petesgaff getting some riding time in what with his tight schedule and all… 8)

njee20
    Free Member

Didn't matter, we were gonna need to split anyway realistically!

aP
    Free Member

Nest time I'll bring everything I need 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah that was a real shame aP, did you get out around Richmond Park?

aP
    Free Member

We looked at the road warriors out there and beat a hasty retreat – did have ice creams though.
    Oh well, SDW this weekend should sort us out.

njee20
    Free Member

Here is the route for the 'quick' group, just ignore the bits to/from my house!

As STM said: down BKB, up to the Windmill, down to Jelly's Hollow, through some of twisty stuff on Winterfold, down Christmas Puddings and Ewok Village, through Bentley Copse, down into Peaslake, back up onto Pitch, T1, T2, stop in Peaslake, up Radnor Road, Yoghurt Pots, Surfer Rosa and down Telegraph. Think it was just under 20 miles.

dobo
    Free Member

i was ridiculously late but fast group still in carpark, thanks for waiting around a bit more. Was my first time there and was a cracking little route, better stuff than i expected, thanks to Njee for guiding us around at comfortable pace for all. SS was fine but my choice of last night bbq sausages was rubbish for energy 🙂
    lol yea that bomb hole was a close your eyes moment but worked out ok for me this time. I blindly just followed the guys in front.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 252 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills STW Ride 22/23 May?’ is closed to new replies.