Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • surprised, what with Strava and all!
  • oldgit
    Free Member

The lowest ever turn out for a local hillclimb championship, five I was told.
    Not my cup of tea, though I’ve done it a few times. So a bit surprised when it seems every tom dick and harry is out there trying to get a KOM that they won’t stump up £3 and go head to head?

It’s at Bow Brickhill, if anyone can link me to a good Strava time. The course is the F5z/H

Ta

rOcKeTdOg

probably because they’d have to really pedal up it rather than stick the GPS in the car and drive up to cheat for the KOM segment

oldgit
    Free Member

Looked up some fast Strava times that are very very good. How can you tell if the hill climbs are from a standing start. Obviously it’s going to throw up some different times if you hit a hill at 20 mph rather than a standing start.

wwaswas

Maybe people use Strava for fun and to compare times with their own previous efforts?

It’s not all EPO’d up nutters trying to get a KOM, despite your insistence.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

We had 60 riders at out local hill climb last weekend and at least 200 watching. not bad at all for the local event….

kayak23

Folks pay to climb hills?
    😉

zilog6128

maybe it’s on a toll road?

cookeaa

They probably think the same about MTBers who pay to ride down them, “isn’t gravity free?” … all part of cyclings rich tapestry innit.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d half expect Strava to reduce participation – the ‘you can compete ‘virtually’, why bother to do it for real’ mentality.

cookeaa

I’d half expect Strava to reduce participation – the ‘you can compete ‘virtually’, why bother to do it for real’ mentality.

You’re projecting the same old Negative stereotype on to all strava users or indeed anyone who didn’t show up for some local hillclimb event (and hence must be a Strava using wimp)…

Not all Stravarists are KOM Cheats, scared to enter real life races and is Strava really the only possible explanation for such a low race turn out?

How well publicised was the event?
    Was it club organized? and if so what is that clubs like? welcoming and helpful or a bunch of insular gits?

To blame a low number of race entries on a bit of software seems a bit of a stretch actually IMO…

crotchrocket
    Free Member

maybe it’s a troll road?
    or even a troll rode?

lazybike
    Free Member

why do hill climbs during the winter? ride there get warm, stand about get cold, blow your tits off, stand about coughing…ride home…and you have to pay!.. 🙂

jam-bo

five i was told

so you didnt go either?

Jase
    Free Member

They only had 5 participants in 2010 so not suprising at low attendence.

OG – I believe Braig has a Strava time quicker than winner.

oldgit
    Free Member

No I was commissaring a race then went and raced cross afterwards. Who’s blaming Strava? Its making events very popular.

druidh
    Free Member

Are you the same oldgit that refused to pay enter a sportive when you chummed your mate on one, reasoning that you could ride the same route for free?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes, but this was a real competition. Its been well supported for well over a decade.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Going well here oldgit.

damo2576
    Free Member

Clue is in your name. Too old and don’t get Strava.

oldgit
    Free Member

No respect you lot.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Had 54 at the last one I did, winning time was a good bit faster than the Strava KOM

canny1
    Free Member

Carl, Hill climb was Sun am, RR and cross was Sat? 😉

About 30 people on bikes spectating, it was cold and damp, better off Stava’ing in the warm sunshine with a nice tailwind. 😆

Also clashed with Hemel’s Hill climb up the Beacon so i’m told

njee20
    Free Member

You’re projecting the same old Negative stereotype on to all strava users or indeed anyone who didn’t show up for some local hillclimb event (and hence must be a Strava using wimp)…

Alright wind your neck in! I was just commenting that I’d not personally expect a direct correlation between Strava and race entrants, to counter the OPs surprise that the event was an immediate sell out because a few people use Strava.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘surprised, what with Strava and all!’ is closed to new replies.