Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • surly karate monkey
  • ian martin
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a karate monkey and making it 1×10.
    Has anyone geared one? And is it any good?

singlespeedstu

Monkeys are good cheap versatile do it all kind of bikes.
    I’ve had one in the past and set it up many different ways.
    Though it is a slight pain getting the rear wheel out with gears unless you use a bolt in Hope rear hub. That way you just remove the bolts and the wheel pulls out the bottom.

ian martin
    Free Member

What are they like set up with either cross tyres or even slicks and ridden on tow path/road?

singlespeedstu

No idea.

They work well with drops though.

2008_0101nyd20080021 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Or risers.

2006_1111monkey0010 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Or flat bars and suspension forks.

2009_0328marinpenmachno0078 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

ian martin
    Free Member

Thanks for the pics.
    I fancy replacing my genesis day one with a surly km.
    I’ll speak to the in-house banker about it.

markenduro
    Free Member

I had one a while ago, decent bike but a bit heavy, eventually got rid of it because it was a bit too big for me. As SSStu says, pain in the arse to get back wheel out if using gears due to horizontal dropouts and the disc calliper has to be loosened off as well, unless you use a bolt in hub and remove the bolts. I had mine set up as a mountain bike and with road tyres and mudguards with drops (which it was pretty good for) and tried loads of things to make it work for me, in the end had to admit defeat and get a smaller frame.
    They are a very versatile frame and fairly practical.

IMGP0781 by markenduro, on Flickr

coastkid
    Free Member

With a Hope Mono caliper the rear wheel slides out without having to loosen and move the caliper, using the supplied Monkey nuts in the chainstay allows bigger tyres, i run mine 2×9 ridged, 47mm rims, 2.55 tyres, , had run it as a semi slick hybrid before and it was fine,a real comfy bike, jack of all trades, does what it says on the tin….

It is my big fat trail bike and i love it, amazing for wheelies too 😀
    heavy looking to most folk, lightweight to what i usually ride 😉

Karate Monkey by coastkid71, on Flickr

Karate Monkey by coastkid71, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

stu I am guessing a super short stem was used in drop bar mode?

Bruce that does look nice – I am guessing it’s around 4 on a 1-10 mtb to fat-bike scale? (1 being 26×2.3″, 10 being 26×4″)?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

What are they like set up with either cross tyres or even slicks and ridden on tow path/road?

Not bad but it will never be as quick as a cross bike. Its how I have mine set up and once it gets up to speed it is pretty unstoppable but it is more suited to bashing around off road with fat knobblies on. Fantasically versatile frame and very tough.

I run mine with a drop bar and get away with it by using a 50mm stem and a large stack of spacers. Not pretty but effective and very comfortable.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Big Dave – Member

Not bad but it will never be as quick as a cross bike.

It will not feel as quick, but it will be pretty much as quick.

E_G

Surly made some changes to the frame for the 2011 model. As a result you no longer need to loosen the calliper/ remove the skewer to take out the rear wheel.

Definitely a do-it-all bike as mentioned by SSS. Mine is geared (3 x10) and I’d say it’s my everyday mountain bike – fast and fun.

Charliethebikemonger was selling off the singlespeed version with a good discount recently (35% off so £650) although you’d clearly need to swap items.

EG

flashes
    Free Member

Just put a SS one together. So far I’m really impressed…………a good all rounder.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

great bikes, they decend like nowt else i’ve ridden. Onl;y ever ran them SS but should be fine 1×10, charlie the bikemonger has them on offer ATM

enjoy!

coastkid
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    stu I am guessing a super short stem was used in drop bar mode?

Bruce that does look nice – I am guessing it’s around 4 on a 1-10 mtb to fat-bike scale? (1 being 26×2.3″, 10 being 26×4″)?

Like it Al – a fatometer! :mrgreen:

yep about a 4 on the scale, 4″ has to be a 9 now on the scale that the BFL (Big Fat Larry 4.7″) is coming on hundies (100mm rims in fatty talk) 🙂

singlespeedstu

al.
    I used a short upright Sala stem on it.
    can’t remember how short or how upright as i’ve been to the pub a few times since.

andyh2
    Free Member

Ian, you’re welcome to have a play on mine for a w/e or couple of days over the hols. It’s an 18″, which would probably be right for you as I’ve just taken your 18″ Inbred off you! Just need to refit the front caliper for it to be ready for action.

Currently 3 x 8 with Titec H bars. I have 2 sets of wheels, 1 with 2.4″ Ardents and 1 with 32mm or 37mm Paselas or 37mm conti cx tyres. I almost swapped over to a Crosscheck, but decided in the end the KM wins on versatility at the expense of a little bit of extra heft.

ian martin
    Free Member

Thanks Andy for the offer. I’ll lend you my Dayone as a swap if you fancy it?

ruffrider

Also using Hope Mono Mini and Monkey Nuts and there is no need to undo the rear caliper to remove the wheel, I also prefer it with a bolt up rear hub. Here’s mine bought from singlespeedstu and still going strong, great bike, love it 🙂

[/url] Karate Monkey at Ditchling Beacon by david.hunt36, on Flickr[/img]

Really like those wheels coastkid, what are they?

singlespeedstu

Yay for my old monkey that’s still going strong. 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘surly karate monkey’ is closed to new replies.