Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Superstar brake pads in saints?
  • hugh_b
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

I have the newer m820 saints fitted but have just gone through my first set of sintered pads fairly quickly due to the wet weather and sand i’ve been riding in!

The genuine shimano finned pads are £25 a pair from Germany and around £35 a pair in the UK, i’m now looking at cheaper pads for use in the UK. Has anyone purchased superstar sintered pads for saints? I’ve read all the horror stories, don’t really want the material falling off the backing but that seems to be sorted now.

However I have seen some posts mentioning a poor fit and the backing plate needing to be modified to fit, not something i want to mess around with to be honest.

Hoping someone running these in saints or any other brakes can advise on fit and durability?

Thanks

Northwind

Haven’t done it with Saints. With my XTs, some pads (Disco and probably Superstar) just needed a tiny bit of paint chased off to fit well, literally one sweep with a file.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Personally Ive started to question the quality of superstar pads in general recently, Im gonna be trying something else in the future 😕

dashed
    Free Member

Running them in slightly older saints no probs (M810s). Likewise, I reckon SS pads have gone off the boil a bit of late… Might try something else next time around.

cp

No probs with ss sintered in my xt 785

orangeboy
    Free Member

Many after market pads need to be filed down now and then
    It’s just one of those things. Genuine tend to always fit but at a cost
    Just have to decide what’s best for you

Trimix
    Free Member

Used them for the last 3+yrs. Racing in the UK, ragging it DH in the Alps etc. They are fine, last ages, fit properly and are so damm cheap (4 for the price of 1) whats not to like.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

yeah there’s no argument here if you’re after value.

Northwind

Yeah, I can’t see past the SS kevlars tbh, not just cheap but genuinely the best pads I’ve had in any of my current brakes. There’s no harder test for a brake than the fort william endurance downhill, in the rain, with a cowardly incompetent behind the levers :mrgreen:

I even fixed a set with a rock in France, keeping alive the finest traditions of STW (there’s some mismatch between the rotors and brakes on one of my bikes and the pads overlap the rotor, causing a big ridge to build up. One flat rock later…)

supafly1982
    Free Member

i run SS pads in my saints, work great for me, do squeel a bit though after time but can usually be cured with some TLC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Superstar brake pads in saints?’ is closed to new replies.