Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Super gluing crank bolt.
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Got Raceface X Type cranks and the crank bolt that holds it all together keeps coming undone. I was thinking of using some superglue on the threads.

normski
    Free Member

243 loctite will prob not be strong enough. To be honest once a crank bolt keeps working loose then its game over. If your gonna try and bodge them use 641 loctite but make sure all surfaces are spotlessly clean and no traces of oil or grease or it wont set.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

To be honest once a crank bolt keeps working loose then its game over

Interesting. Do you mean game-over for the cranks or just for the bolt?

I will try a different bolt just to see.

chipps

It’s usually game over for the cranks. It suggests that the cranks have worked loose at some point and been ridden while wobbly, this rounds off all the nice sharp mating surfaces and means that it’ll always want to work loose, no matter how tight the bolt…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Evolve XC cranks perchance?

I’ve had this. Basically, the splines on the driveside crank weaken over time and allow play to develop. This is what’s causing the crank to loosen and it’s forcing the bolt loose.

Mine managed eighteen months before this happened. Have never bought anything RaceFace since.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK I get this now.

They are Raceface Ride cranks that originally came on a 2008 TranceX. I moved them onto my Sov when I built it 12 months ago, and they’ve been working loose in the last 3 months. They’ve had a fair innings.

I’ll look out for some new HT II compatible cranks.

Thanks all.

ThePinkster

Might be worth wrapping the bolt thread with a couple of layers of PTFE tape then refitting.
    I’ve known this to work on (admittedly bigger) BB threads before now, when the cups kept working loose.

trail_rat
    Free Member

are you using a torque wrench

the torque rating on X type cranks is ALOT higher than you would expect.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s not a bad innings for a set of RaceFace cranks. Best bet would be Deore or SLX, I’ve two sets of the latter and they’ve been faultless for the last three years.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

the torque rating on X type cranks is ALOT higher than you would expect.

I do them up pretty tight but I’ll give it a go. And maybe the PTFE tape idea too. It’s worth a try before I bin them.

I’ve got a lot of other Race Face stuff on the bike (and Hope) so would prefer to keep with Raceface, unless Hope ever decide to sell their prototype cranks.

Hey Hope: Can I test you prototypes please?

rootes1

Clean all surface of grease / oil.

Coat all mating splines, surfaces in bearing Fit (Loctite 601 or 641 or equiv other manufacturer).

641 and 601 take up any gaps between mating surfaces and thus stop and movement that can then lead to coming loose.

Then for bolt, either use threadlock on the threads or put retaining fluid under the bolt head (Loctitle 648 of similar)

Assemble up and then leave overnight.

Si

RustyMac

For the main crank bolt you need to do it up really bloody tight.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Super gluing crank bolt.’ is closed to new replies.