Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Suggestions for a 'special' hardtail frame… maybe custom?
  • benman
    Free Member

For my 30th birthday I’m looking at getting a nice hardtail frame, but I’m looking for something ‘a bit special’.

I’m drawn towards getting a custom Curtis XC Reynolds built exactly how I’d like, but I’m trying to keep an open mind before blowing such a large amount of cash. I’d like to get something a bit different from the norm, which fulfils the following…

Suitable for 100 – 130mm forks
    Not too slack geometry – will possibly be raced
    Fairly lightweight
    Currently open minded about the material its made from (but do like my current Inbred)
    Plenty of chainstay clearance (Don’t want to blow lots on a frame to have it destroyed by chainsuck)
    Decent warranty
    Something I don’t see on the trails every week…
    Up to £900

Any suggestions?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shand.

stevemakin

Enigma are doing custom steel hardtails now IIRC, Curtis are nice and your supporting a small business, Dave Yates will do something for that money also

sssimon
    Free Member

I love my curtis, like the work that enigma are doing too, tempted to get them to build me a road bike

benman
    Free Member

Thanks for the links so far… hadn't heard of Shand, but their stuff looks good. Keep em coming!

alexpalacefan

18 Bikes?

APF

benman
    Free Member

Doesn't have to be custom, I'm also open minded to off-the-shelf stuff.

I really like the Cotic Soul, but just worry about chainsuck (chainstay clearance looks very similar to my inbred).

kelvin

If you're going to spend £900 on a frame, then splashing out on new steel deore chainrings once a year to avoid chainsuck seems good value = ;87)

ajr
    Free Member

Take a look at the Ventana El Chiquillo.

paule
    Free Member

If you can srounge together a little more cash, then you could go on Dave Yates framebuilding course and make your own fillet brazed frame…. WIsh I had the time/money to do this myself!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Hmmm, got 3 years to grind the wife down for an Enigma Custom Ti frame for my 30th.

benman
    Free Member

Kelvin = If you're going to spend £900 on a frame, then splashing out on new steel deore chainrings once a year to avoid chainsuck seems good value = ;87)

Already do that, and plan to continue to do so. More chainstay clearance can only be a good thing though. I only ever run up to 2.1" tyres, so don't need huge tyre clearance.

That Enigma Ti frame seems pretty well priced when you compare it to a Cotic Soda etc.

I love the look of the Whyte hardtails, but the framesets don't seem to be available seperately…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for a 'special' hardtail frame… maybe custom?’ is closed to new replies.