Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Suction Cup Bike racks – Seasucker or Rockbros?
  • davidxbrown
    Free Member

Changing the car and for the odd occasion I can’t use the wife’s more practical car looking at suction cup bike racks, as I can’t fit roof bars or a towbar and I’m not keen on the boot strap on type.

So I was going to get a Seasucker, best price so far around £400 plus 15mm adapters another £28 ea

Mini Bomber Rack – 2 Bikes

Then I spotted this from RockBros which would come in around £100 and they will change the fork mount to 15mm at time of order.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockBros-Bike-Bicycle-Rack-Carrier-Suction-Roof-top-Quick-Installation-Roof-Rack-/253001425700

There’s a huge difference in price!

Has anyone got the RockBros system? Very tempted to give it a go…

Or is there another I have missed?

poah
    Free Member

no way would I use a sucker system for a bike rack

dai3015
    Free Member

I used a sea sucker bike rack. I was really nervous at the time but I had a lease car and didn’t want to fit a tow bar – so went with the sea sucker.
    It’s a fantastic bit of kit! Rock solid in use and a doddle to fit & remove. The only thing to remember is that the bikes aren’t secured when you stop so you’ll need to do something to stop them being easily removed by anyone who takes a shine to them!

househusband

no way would I use a sucker system for a bike rack

I’ve had a Seasucker Talon for three years and it hasn’t let me down once. I’ll admit that it is a great leap of faith using it for the first time but the suction cups are immensely powerful.

davidxbrown; personally I’d go Seasucker. Their suction cups have a failsafe band on the vacuum pump that only becomes visible if a cup starts to lose suction. Not cheap, but what’s the value of the bikes it’ll be carrying?

Oh, and it’s £350 here – and 5% on Quidco until midnight:

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories-nc/seasucker-mini-bomber-fork-mount-rack-with-2-rear-wheel-straps-2-bikes/10946230.html

(Got my Talon from them on offer when it was promotion; £250 down to £150)

EDIT: Aah, bollocks – sold out.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Cheers for the positive comments im happy about the suction technology, from the pictures the RockBros suction cups look very similar with the vacuum pump and marker to tell you it’s on correctly. It wouldn’t surprise me if the cups weren’t made in tha same factory?

That’s a great price househusband, as I don’t need to buy straight away just need to look out for another deal.

Bike is an Evil Following and if I get the double rack then something of equal value, security is an unavoidable problem but would be no different with a boot type rack.

sl2000

It wouldn’t surprise me if the cups weren’t made in tha same factory?

Saw this https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/a-tale-of-two-bells-spurcycle-vs-the-counterfeiters/ on the ‘what bell’ thread. Worth a read before deciding which rack.

vinnyeh

from the pictures the RockBros suction cups look very similar with the vacuum pump and marker to tell you it’s on correctly. It wouldn’t surprise me if the cups weren’t made in tha same factory?

I suggest you have a read of the bells thread.

EDIT: oops, crosspost

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Thank you SL2000 and Vinnyeh interesting read.

househusband

It wouldn’t surprise me if the cups weren’t made in the same factory?

Nope – “Our products are MADE IN THE USA! “

https://newstore.seasucker.com/apps/help-center#!where-are-seasuckers-made

That article on the Spurcycle bell was interesting reading!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rock Bros = Chancer rip off merchants
    Sea Sucker = People working hard at an idea

I know which I’d choose.

(Thule, but never mind that! )

davidxbrown
    Free Member

I like that bell !

Thanks for all the info, Seasucker ticks all the boxes for me and it’s tested up to 140mph (not that I would! Even though I possibly could! )

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Stepson uses a Seasucker on both his cars, no probs.

daern
    Free Member

Meh, casual, weekend cyclist. If he were a proper committed cyclist, he’d have some holes drilled in the roof of his Aston.

Also, he’s in contravention of The Rules, by his bike being less valuable than the car it’s fastened to. Might take a new thread to come up with a bike that meets this requirement… 😉

jpacey
    Free Member

used a seasucker for several years with no problem. good product

drlex
    Free Member

FWIW, when trying to buy a mini-bomber rack earlier this year, I found almost all stores were out of stock. Contacting Seasucker Europe about 12mm through axle mounts, they confirmed that they ended distribution in the u.k, due to discounting. Got mine from tiso in Scotland but looks like no stock left 🙁
    Great bit of kit, and the first trip with two bikes up is rather a drive of faith. No way would I be buying a moody version.

leeerm
    Free Member

I use a SeaSucker Talon, I’ve had it 12 months now. It’s brilliant! In-fact I’m about to buy a second one.

househusband

Contacting Seasucker Europe about 12mm through axle mounts, they confirmed that they ended distribution in the u.k, due to discounting.

I never even knew that SeaSucker did a 12mm TA mount; I asked them a year ago and they said they didn’t but suggested Hurricane Components – and they don’t either…

So SeaSucker have dropped distribution in the UK???

drlex
    Free Member

Reply I had was that continental distribution took over from the UK dealers, and SS supply them directly from their main warehouse in Budapest. Forkup 12mm was 62 Euro, plus shipping, so I instead bought a 15mm mount from eBay and a reducer sleeve.

wukfit
    Free Member

Hmm I didn’t buy a Talon when they were £160 as I didn’t have the spare money at the time, now I do they’re £300ish
    Saw these Rockbros ones on eBay last night and they’re in budget (could even get a 2 bike one)
    I’m never going to be doing long drives or high speeds with it (40mins 50mph max)
    So I wonder if they’re worth a go, problem is it’s not just losing £110 if it fails

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Bought the Seasucker Talon can’t copy the code to embed using an iPad but linky below, not actually driven anywhere with the bike on yet.

IMG_0243

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Bought the Seasucker Talon can’t copy the code to embed using an iPad but linky below, not actually driven anywhere with the bike on yet.

IMG_0243

davidxbrown
    Free Member

IMG_0243

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Bought the Seasucker Talon, iPad won’t let me copy the code to embed the pic so link instead

IMG_0243

smogmonster

Ive been using a MiniBomber for the last 18 months, its brilliant. The first time you use it you will drive verrrrrrryyyyyyy slowly…after that, you wont think twice. Great bits of kit.

wukfit
    Free Member

Ah sod it, I’ve ordered a Rockbros one!
    It’s going to take a while to arrive from Hong Kong, but will update when I get it if anyone cares

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Be interested in the quality of it as there stuff is either ok or terrible .no different to most Chinese factories producing copies .
    I was tempted with the rock bros version as it’s very tempting given the money but I just know I’ll regreturn it .
    I’ve managed to track down a talon for £189.99

thepodge
    Free Member

Very interested in the update, the cost of kitting out two cars with racks makes one cheap sucker one very appealing

drlex
    Free Member

@ Davidxbrown
    Perhaps your set-up doesn’t require such, but mind crank rotation – Velcro strap.

As a back-up to the mini-bomber or for experimentation, picked up an unused Seasucker hornet from eBay for a good price – two pads in a case.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

@drlex

Thanks for the tip on the pedals, they do just hit the rear screen so a Velcro strap should sort that out.

I’m also having to use it single cup up front as the brake calliper hits the Seasucker mounting frame.

wukfit
    Free Member

Just a little update
    Have received a letter from parcelforce saying it’s subject to custom fees (Import VAT and clearance fee) of £26.80

Takes the cost up to £144ish

Trimix
    Free Member

Keep us posted on the quality. I’m interested in getting one.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

I would be interested as ive heard mixed reviews .loving the talon though .

Trimix
    Free Member

Bump.

So, either your bike fell off on the motorway, or your out riding it.

medlow
    Free Member

Very interested to see the review Wukfit. :mrgreen:

Trimix
    Free Member

Bump, bump.

(He must be picking bits up off the motorway still)

medlow
    Free Member

@ Big-Bud
    What are the mixed reviews?
    Catastrophic ‘bike fallen off at 75mph’ reviews or just ‘they sent me the wrong colour’ reviews?

dovebiker

I don’t get why Seasucker think this should command such a price – industrial-grade suckers commonly used in the glazing trade and some QR/through-axle mounts – it’s hardly rocket science engineering. If such companies invested in value-engineering, volume manufacturing they could make this for reasonable money and still make a healthy profit. But no, they get all-bollicky about patents and IPR, charge stupid rip-off prices and then whine about someone making cheap knock-offs – welcome to the global market! The same goes for the silly £50 bell. A couple of tweaks with a pair of pliers and the Rockbros works fine – its a few bits of bent and bashed metal, not a Stradivarius.

TiRed

But no, they get all-bollicky about patents and IPR

I take it you have never invented anything.

dovebiker

I take it you have never invented anything.

Worked as an industrial designer for a number of years and hold a number of patents from industrial paint application systems and medical prosthetics – worst was not getting a licence fee for the car jack I designed 28 years ago for a Spanish company that it used in all VAG and PSA group cars – I’d be rich if I’d only got 0.001p for each one sold, they make millions! The problem with crowd-funding is that anyone with a half-baked idea thinks that they can get others to fund the development and make a mint from the process, rather than value-engineering the product to ensure it remains attractive and relevant in the marketplace. If I was going to focus on product development, the last industry I’d chose is the bike industry – cr@p margins and too much competition.

medlow
    Free Member

So cmon then?
    Any news on the RockBros? How has it performed?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.