Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • STW the end is nigh.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Must. Resist. Jokes. Of. The. Ovine. Nature.

I say go for it, the challenge has to be to produce something both original and witty.

trailmonkey

not at all.

the enjoyment comes from witnessing the obvious annoyance and indignation administered not from the irrelevant wit of the joke.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Will the National Anthem for the New Scotland be……

“Caledonia Uber Alles”

IGMC

druidh
    Free Member

muddydwarf – Member

EDIT: McBlitzkrieg with what aircraft exactly? is there an industry in Scotland building those giant inflatable pigs that Pink Floyd used? Think giant, helium-filled haggis

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Think giant, helium-filled haggis

So we’re back to Sean Connery again are we… 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

the enjoyment comes from witnessing the obvious annoyance and indignation

Annoyed and indignant from the repetition of tired and boring statements bandied about as humour? I don’t think so. I guess it’s one of those strange situations, turn a blind eye and the understanding is it’s OK to make these jokes, say something and you’re automatically accused of being annoyed or indignant. There’s a word for this, I just can’t think of it at the moment…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

How do you think it feels living in Lancashire? We have people with an alleged overfondness for sheep on three sides of us and on the fourth side we have the bloody Liverpudlians! 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As for the use of “Jock”, I believe that current legislation is along the lines of “if someone thinks it’s offensive, then it is”.

i.e. I’ll take exception to the term just to cause an argument.

The way Sassenach us described above, it sounds like a compliment to me.
    The French call us Les Rosbifs, we call them Frogs or cheese eating surrender monkeys
    The Australians call us whinging Pommes, and we call them what we like being as we invented them. (I won’t tell you what they call the Pakistanis. I’d get a ban for repeating the TV cricket scores I heard in Sydney)

But the point is that everyone calls everyone else something but, it’s just a word. A term. Jocks. Micks. Taffys. Pommes.

But you’ve got to be a real arsehole to object to any of them.

druidh
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    But the point is that everyone calls everyone else something but, it’s just a word. A term. Jocks. Micks. Taffys. Pommes, ****, ****, Chinkies.

But you’ve got to be a real arsehole to object to any of them.
    FTFY

donsimon
    Free Member

How do you think it feels living in Lancashire?

I think that’s enough, don’t you?

But the point is that everyone calls everyone else something but, it’s just a word. A term. Jocks. Micks. Taffys. Pommes.

Oh dear. The point is it’s mostly that the english call everybody something and it’s not often used to compliment or highlight the positive characteristics.
    Taff or Gog for the Welsh.
    Mick or Paddy for the Irish.
    Jock for the Scots.
    For the english? What is the english term of endearment for the english?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sassenach apparently. 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

methinks you lot worry too much. I’ve got an 80’s night coming up at work and I have no idea what to wear.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A true story:

I worked for many years with this Scottish bloke. He was/maybe still is a lorry driver and for the last 10+ years he’s been collecting material out of quarries I’ve worked in. You couldn’t meet a more Scottish person. Thick Glasgow accent, virtually unintelligible when excited.

The first time I met him, I had to ask him what his name was to print on the ticket:

“THEY CALL ME JOCK!” he bellowed at me, or so it seemed at the time.

And apparently, they did. Everyone does. And to this day, I don’t know his real name, everyone calls him Jock.

And that’s it. It’s the way words are used, not the actual words you speak that matter. I could insult anyone without using any explteives or so called racial slurs , a lot worse than if I did.

I love the Jocks. Lovely people, great country. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I know it’s a bit corny now, but the film Local Hero has a lovely little pastiche, whereby the only American in the (supposedly) West Highland village is known as “Mac”. 🙂

trailmonkey

Annoyed and indignant from the repetition of tired and boring statements bandied about as humour? I don’t think so. I guess it’s one of those strange situations, turn a blind eye and the understanding is it’s OK to make these jokes, say something and you’re automatically accused of being annoyed or indignant. There’s a word for this, I just can’t think of it at the moment.

see, there’s that indignation right there.

thanks for the laughs.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

What is the english term of endearment for the english?

Oooh, let me see…

Woollyback
    Sand Dancer
    Monkey Hanger
    Scouse b*****d
    cockney w****r
    etc etc.
    Pretty much every English region/town has a derogatory term for its neighbours. We in Rochdale call Heywood ‘Monkeytown’.

Stoner
    Free Member

I drink with “Geordie”.

Nobody knows his name. Hell, nobody understands what he’s saying atfer 9pm. But he’s called Geordie by everyone.

And his wife is called Mrs Geordie.

Anyway, I always though the blue-skinned northerners were known as Scotch, not Jocks….

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Oh i forgot, Smog Monster is another one.

To say its the English who call the rest names is a bit rich though.

RustySpanner

I’d like to see North Wales, Scotland and Northern England declare independance.
    We’ll have Derbyshire, but Cheshire can bugger off down south where it’s culturally more at home.

metalheart
    Free Member

MUDs: your not helping. All you are highlighting is the English just have to insult everybody, even themselves.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My point metalheart is that yes, we do insult each other, but i rather suspect DS thinks it is something only we do. The Welsh and the Scots etc also love to insult themselves/their neighbours. Why, i don’t know, maybe its apart of being British, maybe its just simple parochialism.
    To say its an English thing is wide of the mark. Especially when you understand the venom with which ‘Sais’ or ‘Sassenach’ can be hurled.

donsimon
    Free Member

My point metalheart is that yes, we do insult each other, but i rather suspect DS thinks it is something only we do.

I understand the tribal mentality from living in a village.
    You still haven’t given me an answer to the term used to describe all the english in a derogatory way.
    Sais is just english, how it is used is wholly dependant on context. I’m struggling to find any positive context of using frog, spic or wop. Paddy or Mick were not necessarily positive stereotypes were they. It’s all a bit of fun and they do it to us, simply doesn’t wash.
    The Spainsh have general terms as a lot of countries do, england is the only country I know of that has such a comprehensive list and tries to deny that it is anything but negative.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yes, we also insult each other.

Normally we just call each other c****.

There’s no need to make it personal… 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

As you say DS, it’s context. Wogs and Gogs doesn’t sound very complimentary to my ear.

Take Hartlepool for example – monkey hangers. Some take a strange pride in it, even electing Hangus the Monkey to the Mayors Office, others will rip your head off if they hear it.
    In Heywood ‘Monkeytown’ is a weird badge of pride yet if a Rochdalian says it..

Yes its insulting, but don’t tell me only the English do it – all Britons do it.

CountZero

My mate’s wife’s maiden name was Delainey, and her dad was Irish, and she’s known as either Ann or Paddy, and collectively they’re known as Paul’n’Paddy. It’s a term of endearment in her case.

donsimon
    Free Member

Yes its insulting, but don’t tell me only the English do it – all Britons do it.

I completely agree and I don’t think anyone has said that only the english do it, the Spanish have words like guiri, cangrejo or gambas to describe, in the case of the second two, the lighter skinned foreigner after a few hours lapping up the sun. I have, however, said that the english have quite a comprehensive list which is generally used negatively.

metalheart
    Free Member

Was that a ninja edit Steve?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The point is it’s mostly that the english call everybody something

You were saying?

That’s whay i’m objecting to.

donsimon
    Free Member

The point is it’s mostly that the english call everybody something

That’s whay i’m objecting to.

Which quite clearly doesn’t say only, or does it? I must confess to having problems with the english language at times. 😳

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Nope, but it does imply the English are mainly at fault which we all know is not the case.

Why we Brits do this i don’t know, its abit like calling all your mates rude names – something i’ve found Americans are gobstruck by.

donsimon
    Free Member

Nope, but it does imply the English are mainly at fault which we all know is not the case.

That I would actually disagree with, not only do the english have a more comprehensive list, but they are more willing to bandy these names about.

Why we Brits do this i don’t know, its abit like calling all your mates rude names – something i’ve found Americans are gobstruck by.

I saw what you did there. Do you really call your mates rude names? I might call a mate an arse when he’s being and arse, that sounds fair, no?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I don’t know about where you come from but growing up here it’s quite common to have insulting nicknames for each other, one mate is ‘fatboy’ ‘cos he played prop and all forwards are ‘fatboys’. Another is Ferengi ‘cos he has big ears and a pronounced brow ridge. Yet another was nicknamed Conehead the Barbarian for his headshape, mine was embryo or fetus – cos i’m small and i have slightly deformed feet. Actually, fetus was rather clever if i do have to say so!
    Of course, we all grew out of it but they were there and understood as pisstaking, something we all did with each other.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Who are the moderators on here, as they seem to have a bit of a racist attitude.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why’s that then, stevewhyte?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Seems acceptable to call just about every other race a name accept the English

A shed load of hypocracy on here.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yeah, can’t they delete my response to your deleted comment too as it doesn’t make sense now!

Did you edit it before it went?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

lols or just keep mine in as its no more offensive that 1000’s of posts on here.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😆

Still don’t get why the mods are ‘racist’ when it was you who made the offensive insulting remarks…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Everyone has been making offensive insulting remarks, yet when they are aimed at the English it becomes a big deal. Get the picture now.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘STW the end is nigh.’ is closed to new replies.