Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • STW "Southern Shandy Drinking Softies" Purbeck ride 24-04-2010 – route now here!
  • DrP

See here for full info on the ride and other ride related banter, and look here (as in this thread) with you eyes to see the route and elevation data!

Lots of lovely technical climbs, lots of fast, flowy descents, lots of smiles!!

Looking forward to seeing you all!

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is that 55k? And 1100m climbing? 😯

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

nice ride, shame i'm not about this weekend, otherwise i would pop down

DrP

53km Pete – about 32 miles…

1100m of climbs seems a lot doesn't it?! – but it's all completely managable!

Plenty of 'short cut' bits and 'add on' bits to suit the crowd though – fear not!

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, I can manage that no bother, I was thinking of Kirsty… 🙂

Simwit

Route and weather forecast both looking fantastic, can't wait. See you Saturday 8)

DrP

Oh, I can manage that no bother…

[breathes deeply through teeth] On the 'Pitch of Power', really? You fitted a 'leccy motor to it then… [/breathes deeply through teeth]

Kidding – love ya really Pete 😉

DrP

PS – much credit to Rich Penny as the route is similar to the one we did on the first Purbeck ride!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

On the 'Pitch of Power', really? You fitted a 'leccy motor to it then

I've just changed the tyres and fitted that uppy-downy seatpost. 34.5lbs. Niiiiice….

I'll be on the Inbred. 🙂

DrP

Suited for bashing t'Alps though 🙂

I'm gonna bring the Meta, but part of me is toying with bringing the shonky singlespeed…!

Looking forward to catching up again xxx 😉

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Looking forward to catching up again xxx

Nahh, you won't catch me (Big Boy!) I'm too fast! 8)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone driving from Reading or nearby?

After trying to meet some STW'ers at Swinley a fortnight ago and failing miserably due to SW trains shity-ness, I'm reluctant to embark on a 3 hour epic at 6am involving 2 changes and a replacement bus.

On the other hand the midget is in fine fettle so might make the bike do its contortionist act and squeeze it in there.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

If the overwhelming feedback is 'blimey thats a bit long and i'm not fit enough!' then alternative routes are available, although this may lead to groups splits which would be nice to avoid if possible.

The inclusion of a pub stop at the Square and Compass is the stumbling block as this is the furthest point from the ferry and there aren't any real shortcuts to get there, so a super slow group would have to give up on a pub stop to seriously alter the route.

It can be shortened towards the end by cutting out either the Franks tank section or the Old Harry/obelisk section.
    Alternatively the start could be changed to a more familiar to locals river crossing/Golf course/Franks start which would knock out the need for a return to Franks after the Old Harry descent. This would mean climbing either Rempstone or the radio mast instead of 5 spoke as originally shown on the map though.

Dr P – Are we planning on a picnic stop somewhere between Corfe and the pub stop?

Talkemada
    Free Member

I would like to come on this ride, but sadly, to get there on time would mean I'd have to leave my house at about 6 am or something daft. The other option would be to stop over on Friday night, at some kind STWers place, but as I've only been on this forum a short time, I don't know anybody. 🙁

qwerty
    Free Member

* penciled in *

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Looking at the route it doesn't look that much further that the september ride. I believe that was about 28 miles with very similar climbing.
    Rusty, I call you tonight.

DrP

First food stop'll be at Corfe for sweets and pastries!
    I reckon the Square and Compass makes a nice Cider and Sandwich stop, and can get a bit of 'wurzel courage' for the rocky descent!

If need be bits can be missed out (i.e. missing the rooty descent off the ridgeway, missing the obelisk climb), but we have all day, the sun'll be out, and has been said before – this isn't a race!!

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If need be bits can be missed out (i.e. missing the rooty descent off the ridgeway, missing the obelisk climb), but we have all day, the sun'll be out, and has been said before – this isn't a race!!

Indded. We're in no rush, and I'd rather be out for longer considering it's 150 mile or so return journey. You've put some work into the route, lets hope is a small enough group to keep toghether. The fast riders will have to chill out for a day! 🙂

I s'pose I should bring the camera? 😉

psychle
    Free Member

I would like to come on this ride, but sadly, to get there on time would mean I'd have to leave my house at about 6 am or something daft.

We're catching a 0630 train from Waterloo, it'll be fine 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think we'll be fine with the distance, as long as everyone accepts that we could be out till six. It is similar to previous routes and there's been no fitness issues. if we do have to split later on, im sure theres enough knowledge around for two groups. Missing out the pub is not an option 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

We're catching a 0630 train from Waterloo, it'll be fine

😯

So you're getting up at 5 am?????????

You're a braver man than I….

The other option would be to stop over on Friday night, at some kind STWers place, but as I've only been on this forum a short time, I don't know anybody.

Ahem…

rOcKeTdOg

Due to an annoying cold, 7 days now!! Grr! A 3 hour car journey and the fact I'd probably crash and drown in my own snot after 20k I'll not be on the startline, hope you all have a fab time

psychle
    Free Member

So you're getting up at 5 am?????????

You're a braver man than I….

We're only 15 min or so from Waterloo, but yes, it will be an early start and then a 2.5hr train trip, may get some kip on the train I guess! Spending the night down on the coast though, so making a mini-holiday of it 🙂

Still after suggestions for Sunday chaps, anyone backing this ride up with other cycling activities?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The other option would be to stop over on Friday night, at some kind STWers place, but as I've only been on this forum a short time, I don't know anybody.

Hmmm. It's a pity isn't it. I've got a mate who sometimes gets the train to my place, then comes in the car the rest of the way. Maybe you could try something luke that, if you know anyone, that is…?

Talkemada
    Free Member

I don't know anyone, because I'm new here…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don't know anyone, because I'm new here…

Life sux, huh?

Maybe some kind hearted soul will help you out**, you never know…… 🙂

** 💡 Check your email.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Psychle, will be out riding on the Sunday, not sure where yet though, might be a Salisbury loop. Will have a van and space for 2 though…

psychle
    Free Member

Schweet 🙂

DrP

A word of warning – Peter Poddy has been known to offer lifts to strangers, only for them to never be seen again….. But strangely, for their bike to appear on the classified only days after their dissapearance…..

😉

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Gahh. You've scared him off. 🙁

Talkemada
    Free Member

Is that what happened to Fred? 😯

Erm, oh, er, my bike's broken. I mean I don't have a bike. Mountain biking? What's that?

Who am I? What does it all mean?

Help me please Doctor for I am frightened.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Erm, oh, er, my bike's broken

That's a pity, because I've got a space in the car now….. 😯 8)

DrP

That's a pity, because I've got a space under the patio now…..

Eek!

DrP

mmb
    Free Member

that's a classic route folks loads of good stuff to ride! for anyone concerned about distance or heights of climbs don't be i'm 18 stone and do that route regularly it's great!, psychle see you at parkstone station 10am would recommend you leave your bag in drP's motor it will get us to the car park easier as i live in opposite direction however if you'd rather not we can still take it to my place no probs, anyone else coming in on the train let me know.

Talkemada
    Free Member

would recommend you leave your bag in drP's motor

You are aware that any thieves reading this site now know that people will possibly be leaving valuables in cars at a particular place, and won't be back for several hours, giving them ample time to do their thievery, don't you? 🙄

69er
    Free Member

I'm gutted as my back is not yet fixed:

🙁

DrP

You are aware that any thieves reading this site now know that people will possibly be leaving valuables in cars at a particular place, and won't be back for several hours, giving them ample time to do their thievery, don't you?

I'm sure Psychle's pants, socks, and can of lynx with reach a small fortune on eBay… 😉

DrP

singletrackmind

Forecast is for 20+'C on Saturday, best dig out the sun tan cream folks!
    woo hoo dust.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

If the weather is looking that tasty, better leave yourself a bit of extra time for the journey as the roads could be full of posers heading to the beach.

cinnamon_girl

Nearly 53km? You have got to be joking DrP. 😯

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well don't blame me when all your cars get broken into and all your pants are stolen. 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘STW "Southern Shandy Drinking Softies" Purbeck ride 24-04-2010 – route now here!’ is closed to new replies.