Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • STW Forum phone app?
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

I’ve tried searching and nothing comes up, so hoping that this hasn’t been asked before.

Is there a smartphone app for this forum? And if not, does anyone here have the technical ability to create and official or unofficial one??

I do most of my forum reading on an android phone with chrome browser and there’s a lot of zooming in and out to get things readable!
    I’m also on the Fiat Forum for the car and they have a neat little app that works smoothly and makes things much easier to read and know what threads I have/haven’t already viewed.

Oh, and I have absolutely no programming literacy to do something myself – I’m like one of those guys that turn up on Dragons Den, “Here’s my idea, I’ve made a Blue Peter style mock-up and don’t know if it’s even production feasible, but I need £50k to apply for a patent and tool it up!” 🙄 😀

jam-bo

i think the new forum is due in 2008.

bruneep

Yup ‘P’ users only

into settings and tick mobile app

Cougar

There is an app, but it doesn’t do what you want it to do, it’s for reading the magazine when you have a digital subscription.

Singletrack Magazine On Android

I do most of my forum reading on an android phone with chrome browser and there’s a lot of zooming in and out to get things readable!

Double-tap the page and it auto-zooms to a sensible size.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Who or what is a P user??

perchypanther
    Free Member

cue loads of P-ness waving……

jambalaya
    Free Member

Someone who pays 😉

It means we have a subscription

Cougar

Who or what is a P user??

Premier user – ie, a paying subscriber. See the [P] next to the username.

I fear the esteemed Bruneep may be pulling your plonker though, there’s no app for reading the forum itself that I’m aware of.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Double-tap the page and it auto-zooms to a sensible size.

I do that when in a thread, but it goes ever so slightly too far and puts the text right on the edge, which with my pitiful straight scrolling skills ends up running off the page!
    Then when on the threads overview I like it to show the title and number of posts only – double tapping doesn’t help with this.

I know I’m being fussy, but if you can’t make petty demands when using an online forum then when can you?!

johndoh
    Free Member

Smartphone app?

How 2010.

What they need is a responsive website.

bruneep

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I use the forum on my iphone and it works fine.

Simple fix = get an iphone.

STATO
    Free Member

No responsive site either, it hurts advertising revenue as ‘mobile-site visits’ pay less than standard visits.

So unless we all stop visiting because its a horrible user experience on mobile then they have no motivation to change.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Simple fix = get an iphone.

That didn’t take long!
    I’ve had an iphone as a work phone in the past – wasn’t a fan.
    Had android phones since the original G1 came out and always preferred them.
    I now have a Windows phone for work – don’t get me started on that one!

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I though someone better start the andriod v iphone debate.

I’ve had iphones since the 4, because I like them and it works for me. I don’t really care what people use, but I do enjoy winding up friends who are anti-apple.

Being serious an app for the forum would be good, even if it was only available to “P” members.

maxray
    Free Member

It is literally the only site I make do by pinching and zooming with. A rare case of the content making the poor UX something I will fight past.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Frankly I’d be happy if it just stopped taking to a page which tells me I’ve won an iPhone 7.

AlexSimon

A basic responsive dropping of the sidebar would be trivial to implement.
    A basic ‘hamburger’ menu would be pretty easy to implement.

But.. you’d need to get the advertising to appear somewhere else – either between posts or something more annoying like interstitials between pages.
    That would require some work (although probably not more than a day as long as you’re using pool ads).

steve_b77
    Free Member

I find taptalk pretty handy for forums like this, works nicely for mtbr.com etc

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘STW Forum phone app?’ is closed to new replies.