Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Stupid poxy bloody Windoze- can anyone help please???? Before I smash it all up!
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

lol. very good 😀

I think the next posts to 99 should be elf typing smashing sounds (smash! krrrunCHHH!, tinkle SMAK!), etc, ’till wunundred!

Trampus
    Free Member

Don’t crow kev! We mit’ve robbbed ‘im of a undredd, but we are now firmly in mighty mouse’s sights for a horrible revenge! 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

let’s face it, with your expressed expectations, it was never going to work was it ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What wasn’t going to work Barnes? What wasn’t going to work?

I am so tired.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What if, right, Andrew Marr was doing his show, but then someone stabbed him?? 😯

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What wasn’t going to work Barnes?

whatever you were expecting not to…

Kevevs
    Free Member

what you don’t need right now is Barnes to come and logicalize yer wayward smashinations and make you more confused. just hammer the thing. best way mate. Honestly.

DISCLAIMER: I am being completely objective and will take no 2nd hand satisfaction in some online type “friend” smashing an inanimate object WITH A LARGE HAMMER!

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyway, it’s not so much the OS, as Windoze’s general crapness

Windows IS the OS. And yes Windows does have a few crappy features, particularly in XP. However so did OS9 IIRC.

MS have exactly the same technology, programmers, funding, etc as Apple. Just more so. so why is it crapper?

Cos PC hardware is an open platform. And there’s 100 times as much software available for Windows that wants to do all sorts of weird things. So MS developers spend all their time bending over backwards to make sure that all that crap out there stands half a chance of working.

Apple control their environment much more, which means they can dictate how things are done more, afaik.

Anyway if you want to find a really long pathname, go to the root directory of the stuff you are copying and click Search. Then put * in the search field and it will list all the files in all the folders. Then you can scroll down and find the long ones.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Y Copy is pretty simple. Choose source folder. Choose destination. It copies stuff. If it hits a problem, it’ll tell you while it carries on copying the rest of the files. It’s how Windows should do it

_tom_
    Free Member

And people wonder why someone might spend loads more on a Mac…

Don’t you have the same problem with transferring large files on a Mac though, since they don’t like NTFS drives? I may be wrong here though..

Windows isn’t rubbish all the time. I’ve still not had any problems with Win7 since installing it over a year ago. No blue screens, hardware failures or anything and I’ve had the PC for 3 years. Same can’t be said for my mates iMac which failed after a year, had many “beachball/white screen of death” freezing moments and needed a new hdd and “superdrive” 😛

DaRC_L

So molgrips you’re suggesting that Windows is a democratic solution
    whilst Apples OS is a dictatorship

molgrips
    Free Member

Quite possibly, yes 🙂

I never really liked XP, I just put up with it – and having used W7 and Vista going back to XP just shows me how crap it really was. But then again it is very old to be fair.

There are still a few of these annoying old problems in Windows like the one Elf describes. Although I think they fixed the ‘this file is in use’ issue, didn’t they? Doesn’t it now tell you which process has it locked?

leffeboy

Why can’t the Windoze OS be designed so that…

FWIW Win7 is MUCH better than XP. As far as I remember a lot of the problem with XP is that is was still trying to be nice to all the old legacy DOS type software that could only handle short filenames so some of the internal stuff still only handled the short names – clearly a big mistake. With Vista and Win7 they decided to bin that.

brassneck

Don’t you have the same problem with transferring large files on a Mac though, since they don’t like NTFS drives? I may be wrong here though

Yes you do. It just won’t copy them without splitting, never looked into it hard enough to find the limits.
    And ‘superdrive’ must be some kind of internal Apple humour.

That’s speaking as an Apple fanboi too.

All the extra software being recommended is overkill though, just make a folder in the root of the drive you’re copying to, it’s a path length issue.. it can just be down to Explorer not being able to handle it as NTFS can handle some 32768 chars, but often you’ll get errors below this.. xcopy/xcopy32 might work if you must keep the path?

Cougar

“Windoze”? Really? Is it 1992 again? 🙄

As others have said, if you’re copying the hard disk into a folder on an internal disk, you’re increasing the length of the absolute pathname to beyond what the API can cope with.

Assuming you can’t just copy to root, the easiest way would probably be to create a single-character folder on the root of the internal disk (eg, c:\t\ ) and copy to that. You could still hit the same problem but you’re lessening the odds.

Alternatively, robocopy will do it, or several other applications as others have suggested.

Have you considered Linux?

Cougar

it can just be down to Explorer not being able to handle it as NTFS can handle some 32768 chars

Correct – it’s a Windows API issue.

xcopy/xcopy32 might work

xcopy has a tendancy to explode when you’re moving really large amounts of data. ‘s why I suggested robocopy (“robust copy”), it’s basically a modernised xcopy.

Del

I’d offer to help, but really, it isn’t very hard to work out what’s going on there, and find a way around. besides that, the frustration is oozing across the net, and it’s quite fun.
    Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.
    😀

Hairychested
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

I’m shocked! No mention of…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well thanks to Mintimperial’s link, I’ve downloaded Synctoy and sorted it. Thanks. That really was very helpful and I’m truly grateful. Genuinely appreciated.

And guess what? The same thing happens with Macs, not because the file name is too long, but something to do with permissions. Although it was clearer which file was at fault. And there is a way to just copy a disc in Disc Utility anyway, I din’t bother with that.

So basically I’m an idiot and lack sufficient patience. Not a great deal more than that, really.

All in all, quite a silly and unnecessary tantrum tbh. 😳

Windoze is still crap though.

As for Ubuntu; and do what with it? Can I use my Mac version of Adobe CS3? can I? My iTunes? My iPhoto? iMovie? All my other lovely easy to use Mac apps? Can I? Hmm?

No I can’t. So shut up.

I do like the Ubuntu logo though.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    All in all, quite a silly and unnecessary tantrum tbh.

better a tantrum than a flounce 😉

SamB
    Free Member

I heard 2011 is the year of Linux on the desktop? Confirm/deny? 😆

brassneck

I suggested robocopy (“robust copy”),

Yeah, but it’s not installed by default, if Elfin was struggling with moving a few files around for gods sake don’t let him near IE 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9l6FM1TyxM[/video]

Cougar

Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.

PEBKAC, yes. Also known as an I.D. ten T problem, or my current favourite from the network guys which is “it’s a layer eight issue.”

Cougar

Conqueror
    Free Member

As for Ubuntu; and do what with it? Can I use my Mac version of Adobe CS3? can I? My iTunes? My iPhoto? iMovie? All my other lovely easy to use Mac apps? Can I? Hmm?

No I can’t. So shut up.

I do like the Ubuntu logo though.

Adobe CS3 – Got the hardware? Really want it? VirtualBox time then.. or perhaps WINE – if you are so desperate to run it

Itunes? – Rythmbox, Amarok
    Iphoto? – Picasa, Shotwell, F-spot

http://alternativeto.net/software/imovie/?platform=linux

http://ubuntustudio.org/ £0

🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

The problem I have with ubuntu is that it feels like a toy. It may be down to the fonts which I still can’t get on with.

Conqueror
    Free Member

_tom_ the world is you oyster plenty of distributions and desktop environments … GNOME (what you see in Ubuntu atm), KDE, XFCE, Enlightenment, Open Box

Some other distros

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

http://fedoraproject.org/

distro watch lists almost eveything

http://distrowatch.com/

You could spend some time making it look how you want. Something you need to do in any OS or desktop ennvironment perhaps?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Adobe CS3 – Got the hardware? Really want it? VirtualBox time then.. or perhaps WINE – if you are so desperate to run it

Itunes? – Rythmbox, Amarok
    Iphoto? – Picasa, Shotwell, F-spot

I rest my case. Load of faffing. I can just plug me cam into me Mac, and hey presto app opens (if I want it to), and click once and bob’s yer uncle.

Don’t try geekjustifying linux to me. Mac is the best Os going. simple as that. And you lot know it too.

Cougar

Mac is the best Os going.

I’ll resist the pedantic urge to say “Mac” isn’t an OS, and just randomly disagree with you. In my humble opinion, the best desktop OS currently is Windows 7. However, depending on what you’re using a computer for, this may not be true for everyone.

Hairychested
    Free Member

There’s also LFX, Suse, Mandriva, loads of other distros. Mac is just an overpriced gadget for the cool crowd working with a UNIX-based OS. Have a guess what else is based on UNIX.

@_tom_
    , check other distros, Ubuntu is easy to use (as long as you want your computer to work rather than to have problems with it) and popular. Here are some more distros, have a look.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You can disagree, but you’d be wrong. That’s the facts, Macs.

And what’s that stupid cartoon about?

‘Hur hur I’m a geek and can fix your computer because you can’t ands I’ll sit here and be all superior’

Because it’s the only time in your life you can, you sad socially inadequate nerd. Go out, get some fresh air, expose that pasty skin to some day light.

Flipping hate smug geeks. Yeah, you can fix a computer, but you can’t fix your hair, diseased spotty, boily skin, BO, inability to communicate naturally and confidently with other Human Beings or indeed interact effectively in social situations, can you?

I’ll just kick your Unix laptop on the floor and pee on it, and watch you cry like a little girl.

Then I might torture and kill you, just for fun*.

*The last bit might be a bit overkill. Must be Elfin’s bedtime…

hilldodger
    Free Member

‘Hur hur I’m a geek and can fix your computer because you can’t ands I’ll sit here and be all superior’

‘Boo hoo I’m a thicky and can’t get my toys to work so I’ll sit here and type sarcastic BS and hope someone mistakes it for wit’

🙄

Cougar

Flipping hate smug geeks.

Didn’t stop you posting computer questions though. Or getting helpful answers, for free, which sorted your problem out.

If you had a problem with your car, or your back boiler, you wouldn’t get mechanics and plumbers coming out for free to fix it. yet it seems to be expected of IT techs.

What the “stupid cartoon” is about, is people who spend a raft of money on something they know little about, wear their ignorance like a badge of honour, blame the machine for problems that are their own doing and then get all pissy when people try to help them.

mintimperial

Well thanks to Mintimperial’s link, I’ve downloaded Synctoy and sorted it.

Hooray! Glad it worked. Steady on with the geek abuse though. Some of us are very sensitive souls, as you can see…

molgrips
    Free Member

the world is you oyster plenty of distributions and desktop environments

That’s part of the problem with linux imo.

The cartoon for me is about people demanding things of their computers that aren’t possible because they simply don’t understand.

The real issue with IT is that a great many people use or depend on it in some way, but they don’t understand it, and they can’t see or hear it. This makes them nervous and insecure because at any time something could happen that they don’t understand and cause problems for them.

mogrim

the world is you oyster plenty of distributions and desktop environments

Sadly still not up to Windows 7 standards of usability, though. I’m on Ubuntu, it works OK, it’s great for programming and development stuff, but Open Office is crap, Gimp’s even worse, it changes screen resolution every time I start it up, … Mostly minor niggles, but if I could* I’d switch to Win7 in a flash.

* Can’t: the licence for this laptop is Vista, and despite generally good experience with it at home I’m not sure I really want to use it at work too…

jon1973
    Free Member

Yesterday

Elfinsafety: Thanks. That really was very helpful and I’m truly grateful. Genuinely appreciated.

Today

Elfinsafety: Flipping hate smug geeks. Yeah, you can fix a computer, but you can’t fix your hair, diseased spotty, boily skin, BO, inability to communicate naturally and confidently with other Human Beings or indeed interact effectively in social situations, can you?

Let’s hope you don’t get any more IT related problems you need help with.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’d like to take this opportunity to publicly apologise for my earlier comments, and for any offence caused to any geeks.

I accept my behaviour was unreasonable and quite frankly, unacceptable.

What the “stupid cartoon” is about, is people who spend a raft of money on something they know little about, wear their ignorance like a badge of honour, blame the machine for problems that are their own doing and then get all pissy when people try to help them.

No, what it’s about, is one set of people feeling superior to another set, because they have certain skills the other doesn’t, and acting all smug about it. ‘Ooh look at me I’m so clever I can fix your computer for you’. Yeah, wow. I can’t drive a bus, but I don’t see the driver acting all smug about it…

Being helpful is one thing; being all smug and supercilious isn’t necessary. This kind of behaviour is that of the insecure and inadequate. Put someone else down, so you can feel better about yourself. no need for it really.

People have differing skills and abilities. This should be respected, not insulted.

Windoze is still crap though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Stupid poxy bloody Windoze- can anyone help please???? Before I smash it all up!’ is closed to new replies.