Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Stupid poxy bloody Windoze- can anyone help please???? Before I smash it all up!
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Trying to copy a load of files over from an external HD to one in a PC.

Gets so far, then announces that a particular file name is too long, then just stops. won’t copy the rest of the files.

WTF is this all about? Its an NFTS formatted drive.

Is there any way I can just copy the bloody lot? It’s seriously pissing me off. It’s one poxy file in amongst thousands. I don’t mind it it don’t want to copy that one, but why the funk won’t it let me copy the others??? Such a pain in the arse. The files were copied form a Windoze computer in the first bloody place!

Stupid bloody thing. Why does Windoze have to be so rubbish? All the time???

And people wonder why someone might spend loads more on a Mac…

jam-bo

Zip them, then copy that.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And how do I do that?

Can’t write to the drive itself.

mtb_matt
    Free Member

Possibly because the destination file path length will be more than 256 chars. Try copying to a folder nearer the root.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Do what? Can you speak in Normal please. I don’t do Geek.

geoffj

Get a copy of syncback and use that to do the copying. It won’t fall over on dodgy file names.
    I’m on my phone or I’d give you a link.

Edit: http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Create a folder in the root, for example on c:. Call it external or something like that then copy files into this folder. This will cut down on the length of the file names. Once copied then organise the files from there.

mintimperial

Microsoft’s SyncToy is pretty good for copying stuff. Nice and easy to use too.

johnners
    Free Member

You should definitely smash it all up. That’ll teach Bill Gates a lesson.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m going to smash it all up. Sod it. Don’t care any more.

Rosina should’ve backed up her files. She can’t blame me that it’s all gone horribly wrong. Silly cah.

jon1973
    Free Member

unless I’ve misunderstood the problem, why don’t you select all the files, and then deselect the problem file, and then copy?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Because that would mean going through hundreds of folders and thousands of files.

The stuff was copied from a Windoze machine to a Windoze formatted HD. And now won’t go back onto a Windoze machine.

That there’s no option to simply not copy that one file, and that the transfer just stops dead, is crap.

There’s a reason why Windoze PCs are cheaper than Macs. Because they’re shyte.

nicko74

As above, if you’ve got the time and inclination, use Syncback (free) takes about 5 minutes to download and setup.

Failing that, you might have to do it bunch of folders by bunch of folders…

dan1980
    Free Member

There’s a reason why Windoze PCs are cheaper than Macs. Because they’re shyte.

It could be that Macs are more expensive because more effort has to be put in to make them more idiot proof? 😉

+1 for MS Synctoy too.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Now the stupid useless bloody thing won’t connect to tinternet, because it can’t connect to the router.

Exactly the same settings as what I eventually got to work yesterday, but no, it just won’t have it.

It can see the router, all the password settings are in place, it just won’t connect.

Why?

Because it’s crappy Windoze, that’s why.

rs
    Free Member

i think you need to take a deep breath and start again!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why can’t it just do a flipping simple task? My Mac manages such undemanding tasks with ease. Why does Windoze have to be so poorly thought out and written?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It could be that Macs are more expensive because more effort has to be put in to make them more idiot proof?

Fine. I’m an idiot. I’ll pay the extra. I have no problem with that. And neither does anyone who just wants a computer to do what it ought to. Which is what Macs do.

Tell me Win7 is better than the XP I’m currently using? Please?

I did try Vista, but that was even worse, if such a thing were possible.

Drac

Windows Live Mesh.

So very simple.

rs
    Free Member

Microsoft is secretly owned by apple and they just release it under a different name to make their main products look good.

I bet you appreciate your mac a lot more after this little episode huh?

Trampus
    Free Member

<sharp intake of breath, verging on a whistle> That’s gonna cost ya! <exhales, desparately trying to suppress giggles>
    Oh, Happy birthday, sort of! 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I bet you appreciate your mac a lot more after this little episode huh?

I’ve always appreciated my Macs. In the 20 years of using and owning them.

The only major problems I’ve had have bin with PCs.

Oh great it’s crashed now. 🙄

Trampus
    Free Member

Have all your PC’s been cheap?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

This one is actually made from some pretty decent bits what I blagged can’t tell you how for legal reasons but it’s not bargain basement stuff. It’s not the hardware, it’s the OS. it’s rubbish.

OSX 10.6, which I’m running on my Mac, is the bestest operating system ever created. It’s far more intuitive, simple, easy to understand and ‘just works’.

Why can’t Windoze be like that?

Kevevs
    Free Member

Belated Happy Birthday bud.

I feel your pain. How big is your biggest hammer? You know what to do.

Anyone know how to get my sound to work on an emachines 170 re-installed with XP sp3.

yes, I’ve tried that. yes I’ve downloaded and installed that. yes I’ve tried that. etc…

Hulk SMASH!

Drac

Your running a 10 year old OS and comparing it with 18 month old one.

Windows 7 is very good, a lot easier to use and more stable.

aracer
    Free Member

Take a deep breath, elf. Calm down. You’ve already been given the correct advice up there. The problem is almost certainly down to you trying to restore the files at some point in your filesystem where the total path (ie C:/pictures/elf/hotbabes/suzie.jpg) is longer than 256 characters. Simple solution, create a directory at C:/R and restore there to minimise the path length.

…and if you don’t understand the above paragraph then you’re beyond help with doing stuff on PCs and should move away from the keyboard right now.

Trampus
    Free Member

Kevevs, you are on a loser! Realtek AC97 is my best guess, without trawling.

Kevevs
    Free Member

spill wheaty beer on it and take it back to Eddy saying it’s fubarred (and sticky) and you want yer money back. Smash it with hammers first.

Kevevs
    Free Member

like I said trampus. tried that! thrice.

Trampus
    Free Member

Copy to the problem file. Copy beyond the problem file. Rename the problem file, then copy it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

See this is the thing. I appreciate the help people have bin trying to give me, I really do. I’m giving Synctoy a go now, see how we get on with that.

It’s just that it would be nice if I din’t end up in tears every time I try to do a seemingly simple task, like copy some files over. Or connect to the internet, when I’ve followed all the flipping procedures necessary.

Download this update that oh that conflicts with that you need to uninstall that blah blah blah.

Why, Gates; why?

It looks like you’re writing a letter

It looks like you’re about to be smashed to little pieces by this sledgehammer. No, I don’t need help with that. I’m perfectly capable of figuring it out all on my own. And you won’t be able to annoy me any longer.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Your running a 10 year old OS and comparing it with 18 month old one.

OS9 is vastly superior to XP. Anyway, it’s not so much the OS, as Windoze’s general crapness.

Don’t defend Windoze. It’s like trying to defend a Tory. Just not possible.

Win7 is what Vista should’ve bin 5 or 6 years ago. Why was Vista always shyte? Why couldn’t they just get it working propply before they released it?

Trampus
    Free Member

@kevevs. 🙄 E- machines are rebadged buggers, so hard to trace. Google any reference number you can find in a scattershot fashion. Use different search engines as well.
    If not realtek, try via, then sis, then buy an external card!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why should he have to though? Why can’t the Windoze OS be designed so that his sound whatsit just flipping works?

Eh?

EH?

Kevevs
    Free Member

*tin hat on* I suspect microsoft being the monopoly that it is, knows it has everyone in it’s grip and just imposes upgradeitis on us, and makes it annoying and unstable, so you end up buying a new PC/OS. cos we can’t afford a nice stable user-friendly mac, or we are not IT types.

MS have exactly the same technology, programmers, funding, etc as Apple. Just more so. so why is it crapper? makes you wonder what is the ethos of the company.

Oh, and why isn’t there a web browser on my XBOX? hmm..
    thanks trampus. It’s just a pc free from a mate to keep me online, but it’s turning into a headache.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’s just soul destroying, in’t it Kev?

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Ah, another year older, another year further out of touch wiser 😉

I’ve a milestone birthday next week; I feel your pain.

Kevevs
    Free Member

no, not soul destroying. just annoying. cos I had a mac for 10 years. it just got old. never crashed, OS upgraded until the hardware just couldn’t take it anymore. I want a mac.

Trampus
    Free Member

A simple RPC reveals that the problem lies in C:\documents and settings\Elfinsafetey\my documents\my correspondence with world class accident about big bike bash 2011\denigrating remarks to captain flasheart\ day one,subsection 1 para 1, etc. HTH, 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Stupid poxy bloody Windoze- can anyone help please???? Before I smash it all up!’ is closed to new replies.