Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stumpjumper comp-am I being stupid?
  • danceswithcats

My employer has finally got the message about bike to work, long after I bought a fairly decent commuter bike. I thought I'd take the token anyway, and make a once in a lifetime purchase, with the help of a hire purchase scheme to top up the token (it's interest free).

I will probably never again be able to spend over one and a half grand on a bike. I really like the feel (and the look) of the Stumpjumper Comp my local bike shop has as a demo bike and it is a financial possibility (just), at £1800. Am I missing any alternatives? I am quite happy with the hardtail I've got; a cheap Specialized frame that I've added to as I found bargains, and want a bouncy thing for bumpier rides.

Any advice?

Special_ized_Jamie

I thought the max was £1000 on B2W?

nickjb
    Free Member

The stumpy is a great bike. I'm not sure about overstretching yourself in the current climate but if you can afford, why not. Probably breaking loads of BTW rules, though

foxyrider
    Free Member

Erm no – perhaps his company has a credit agreement in place? Before we all jump to conclusions?

khani
    Free Member

Good choice, as good as anything else and if you have a problem spesh are one of the best for warranty issues, mate of mine had a 6 year old enduro frame replaced with no quibbles at all

danceswithcats

Yes, it is, but they'll let you top up the extra through the third party company that is running it for my employer. It means you agree to pay an extra lump sum at the end of the repayment; it's 3% of the original cost of the bike, so it would still be well worth doing the scheme, even on my low tax scale.

foxyrider
    Free Member

We consider that the agreements between employers and employees participating in the schemes will be consumer hire agreements as regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. We have therefore issued a consumer credit group licence to cover consumer hire agreements entered into by employers participating in the Cycle to Work schemes. Employers will be covered by the group licence so long as they are undertaking activities within its terms. Please note that the group licence covers the loan of bicycle(s) and/ or bicycle equipment up to the value of £1,000 (including VAT and not taking into account an income tax exemption). If you carry out regulated transactions other than that described in the group licence, you will need to apply for a standard consumer credit licence.

Over £1000 you have to apply for the Std Consumer Credit License as stated above which is a hassle for a small company 🙂

danceswithcats

Thank you all.

By the way, on the point about conclusions, I've read the cycle scheme terms and conditions pretty carefully and I don't think I'm doing anything dodgy, but I'll check with HR before I leap in, tomorrow.

Thanks again.

ampthill

I'm sure it will a great bike. But I would try and if possible try a few alternatives. I see little point in Brand loyalty (dealer loyalty yes brand loyaly no)

I road the FSR XC a few years back and the seat tube not pointing at the bottom bracket didn't work for me. With the saddle rioght up I ended up in wellie mode up hill as I was to far back. I'm a Trel now where I'm fine on that

Thats not a reason for you not to buy the Specialized its just that all bikes have there quirks and finding the best option for you

I hope it works out well for you whatever you buy

stumpy01

I've got the Elite & I love it. Test rode the Fuel EX8 as well but didn't get on with it. Wanted to test a Zesty but no test bikes were available.
    Think it was a good choice though. Really looking forward to taking it to Spain on Sat!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I have a heavily upgraded 2007 Stumpy Comp HT and love it to bits – they've rocketed up in price recently though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumper comp-am I being stupid?’ is closed to new replies.