Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • stuck on which road bike to choose help!
  • pip001
    Free Member

hi, ive been looking for a road bike around the £1000 mark.ive kind off got it down to three but cant make up my mind at all.these are scott addict 20 with 105 £899. scott addict 30 disc
    tiagra £999 or the px evo carbon disc £899 sram.not sure which to go for really want shimano 105 and discs but budget wont stretch to it.any imput or other offering would be agreat help.thanks

weeksy

You’ll get 105 if you go used ?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’d probably go Addict 30 disc from that selection. Having been a road disc user for 3 seasons now, nothing would make me buy a calliper bike again. The Addict will ride better than the Planet X, and if it’s the low spec putting you off you can always upgrade at a later date.

anagallis_arvensis

Buy the one you can check fits right first. Discs are nice but not game changing on a road bike. Giant must have a competitive option at that price point. Contend or Defy?

joebristol

I think I’d try that Planet X – but that’s because I like sram road stuff over shimano (I don’t like my 105 hydraulic groupset very much) and you get a carbon frame for that budget. I think Planet X have recently revised that frame so it’s a bit stiffer as they used to be a bit noodly.

I’ve had cheap carbon (Boardman team carbon) and good aluminium (Cannondale Caad12 disc) and I didn’t find there was much in it either weight wise or ride wise.

If anything the Boardman was a bit stiffer to get power down but the Cannondale is more comfortable.

13thfloormonk

Personally I’d go non-disc, enjoy the savings and lighter weight, and just invest in Swiss-stop BXP brake pads for smooth, quiet reliable braking in all conditions with negligible rim wear.

Seriously, these pads significantly close the gap between discs and rim brakes, I have them on all my bikes and don’t miss disc brakes.

The Scotts both look cool though…

joebristol

I guess disc / non disc depends on your riding. If it’s all year round training / riding and commuting then imo discs are a huge amount better than rim brakes (I’ve had several different brands and several different brake pads that I’ve tried in them). In wet weather rim brakes always end up a grindy mess with loads of crap thrown off them that is horrible to clear up.

Discs brakes don’t get worse in the rain with power and don’t make a mess with pads all over the rim. The one downside is the occasional squeal but I’d rather have that then rim brakes and their downsides.

If you’re buying the bike for pure fair weather riding then rim brakes could make sense if it means you get a better all round spec bike.

smudgey
    Free Member

What type of riding are you wanting it for? because that will make a difference in the answer really.Dont just say riding on the road.

chakaping
    Free Member

really want shimano 105 and discs but budget wont stretch to it

Save up a bit longer and get what you really want, will be much cheaper than upgrading parts later.

This looks good for the money if you can stretch a bit now… https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-vitesse-evo-cr-disc-road-bike-105-2019/rp-prod172941

13thfloormonk

I guess disc / non disc depends on your riding. If it’s all year round training / riding and commuting then imo discs are a huge amount better than rim brakes (I’ve had several different brands and several different brake pads that I’ve tried in them). In wet weather rim brakes always end up a grindy mess with loads of crap thrown off them that is horrible to clear up.

Not dismissing or disagreeing with your experiences, but as another year round rider and commuter, mine are very different! Minimal mess or clag, occasional re-adjustment required, and so much god-awful squealing in the wet from discs that I would genuinely rather not ride on a wet day than take out my disc brake bike. Happily I have two rim brake winter bikes which do all the wet miles.

I am making a new year’s resolution not to start any more arguments about disc brakes, I just can’t help myself! 🙂

jonnyboi

The Scott addict 30 looks great. Full carbon frame, hydraulic disc brakes and sensible gearing. I would pick that first over 10 v 11 speed

joebristol

@13thfloormonk

Not dismissing or disagreeing with your experiences, but as another year round rider and commuter, mine are very different! Minimal mess or clag, occasional re-adjustment required, and so much god-awful squealing in the wet from discs that I would genuinely rather not ride on a wet day than take out my disc brake bike. Happily I have two rim brake winter bikes which do all the wet miles.

I am making a new year’s resolution not to start any more arguments about disc brakes, I just can’t help myself! 🙂

Posted 59 minutes ago

No arguments required – there’s bound to be variation in rims / brake caliper / pads / conditions being ridden in. Also in disc brakes / rotors etc.

I’ve never had top end rim brakes – I’ve had tektro / 105 / Rival / Apex and used Swiss stil lads / sram pads / shimano pads and maybe koolstop. Never enjoyed any of them in the rain.

Road disc wise I’ve just had shimano which I have now – came on a Caad12 disc so think they’re non-series (but 105 level effectively. Front is post mount and the rear is flat mount (so many ‘standards’ on this bike with a weird BB and seat post size). They’ll squeal on the first couple of stops on my commute in the wet but as soon as they’re warm they’re quiet. Instead of previous bikes where the pads / rims scrape and grumble all the way to and from work ☹️

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just been out on a clubrun this morning, typical chilterns grubiness and im now in a minority still on rim brakes.

Swisstop pads are great, but they’re not disks. Settup helps a lot, i run them with enough freestroke that they almost hit the bars which then gives maximum leverage.

I’ve got sram on my cross bike, swings and roundabouts vs shimano. I like the floaty shift levers on sram when climbing, i dislike the (particulalry the front) shifting because its harder/impossible to put a bit of pressure on the chain to tease it up a shift if it doesnt go first time as things begin to get mucky and wear out.

As above, I would save up a few more months and get the setup you want. Theres nothing wrong with 10 speed or rim brakes but both are expensive upgrades in the future.

pip001
    Free Member

thanks for the replies.bikes going to be used for evening and weekend rides and some commuting.
    im over 50 so comfort is a factor sadly.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Got a Scott Addict disc 2018 model with 105 and so far it’s been a great bike so would heartily recommend that. I was umming and hahhing over the few hundred quid more expensive Ultegra equipped model but decided against it and haven’t wasted a second regretting that decision.

My view is that changing a bike specifically for disc brakes is not worth it, but if you’re buying a new bike then you’re better to go with disc brake in my opinion. At the end of the day this years Tiagra is basically the same as last years 105, so you wouldn’t notice the difference regarding the groupset – zero performance improvement and MAYBE a couple of grams weight saving….hardly going to transform you’re performance overnight.

Hey ho, It’s a debate that will rage for years to come so only you can decide, but either of the Scott Addict bikes wouldn’t dissapoint.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on your spannering ability, but you could buy a frame from planet x and build it up with 105?

£300 frame
    £500 groupset
    £200 wheelset

Ok, so its already over budget and needs finishing kit but you could either blow it entirely on nice stuff you’ll use forever, or go for the £10 stem/bars/post/saddle PX probably spec and upgrade later.

mrb123
    Free Member

Can’t you save up for a couple more months and get the bike you really want, I.e. the Scott with 105 and discs.

smudgey
    Free Member

Hi, Out of that list I would go for the Scott addict 30. I’ve 4 bikes, 3 with discs and 1 with Cantis and Kool stops. I’ve also ridden a Cannondale Road bike with standard rim brakes. Theres a big difference I think to stopping in the wet with discs compared to standard rim brakes. I was once out and it started raining on that Synapse and I was coming down a steep hill and frankly it was a bad experience.It hardly stopped and I had to run my foot on the ground to help it. Never again!.

jonnyboi

Just read up a bit more on the Scott, has thru axles and space for 32mm tyres. Seems like a bike you could do a lot on

curto80
    Free Member

I’ve got the Addict SE disc 2019 which is the same frame as the 30. It’s a superb bike for all day riding. I run 32mm compass tyres and it’s a very capable multi terrain bike (you could get a 35mm on the front no issue).

It’s done everything from long days of road climbing in the Swiss alps to gravel rides in the new forest. Highly recommend it and tbh I wouldn’t worry too much about groupset – as long as you have enough gears and hydro disc brakes it really doesn’t matter.

markgraylish
    Free Member

How long do you generally keep bikes for, and is second hand value something you care about?
    I’d factor that in as, in a few years, less people will want to buy a second hand bike without discs so value will plunge.
    (To a lesser extent the use of QR versus thru axles will eventually impact the price of replacement wheels – you may be able to pick up excellent s/h QR wheels fairly cheaply)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

For a £1k budget I’d think about…
    PX Carbon Evo Disc frameset
    7020 hydraulic set from Merlin along with at least all other Shimano Groupset bits as separates (but check PX, they did have some bargain bits like rear mech last time I looked)
    Either Merlin for nicer wheels in their “spend and save” which is 10% for £300+ baskets, or some Prime variant from Wiggle

Not sure there will be many off the peg 105 hydraulic bikes sub £1k these days, I tried SRAM for first time on the old ~£800 Boardman CX and struggled to adjust to their quirks during an hour demo on a turbo.

onewheelgood

105 and hydro disks for £1039 – https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/1594/products/cube-attain-sl-disc-road-bike-2019-greyorange.aspx

or last year’s model for £999 https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/1320/products/cube-attain-sl-disc-road-bike-2018-blackred.aspx

It’s always worth looking at what Pauls and Pedalon have in their offers – usually last years models, but nothing wrong with that.

pip001
    Free Member

i might be able to pay a couple of hundred more if it brought a better bike ? not really into building my own.the wilier gtr with 105 is around a grand.any good?

ctk
    Free Member

Look at the sale bikes at Merlin. Half price road bikes

frankconway

Have you considered Radon?
    https://www.radon-bikes.de/en/roadbike/alu/bikegrid/
    https://www.radon-bikes.de/en/roadbike/carbon/bikegrid/
    Current exchange rate is 1.18Eur = £1
    They are always good value and well specified.
    A valid point ^^^ re this year’s Tiagra being the near equivalent of last years 105; look at their Alu offerings as you can get pretty much what you want without busting your budget.

frankconway

You didn’t state size so i don’t know if this will be any help but…..Drakes in Leeds have a Scott and Cannondale CAAD in their offers section – link below.
    https://www.drakescycles.co.uk/offers/index.php?cat=1
    Just scroll through to look at road bike offers.

singletrackmind

there is a brand new cannondale synapse on ebay
    Ultegra , hydro disc , mavics
    56cm so L/XL i think
    £1050 , not mine just looking to see whats ooot there

pip001
    Free Member

the radons looks nice.size is around 52 or small so not many bargains around.

singletrackmind
    ads678

I’ve got the planet X in Force 22 guise. The Sram gears/Brakes are great. I wanted 105 originally but well happy with the Sram stuff. Hardly have to touch the brakes to scrub a bit of speed.

It’s a lovely bike to ride. Might upgrade the wheels in the future but it’s all good for now.

They look sooo much better in the flesh as well. Website photos are crap.

frankconway

In stock at Drakes in Leeds:
    https://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b0s23p5651/CANNONDALE_CAADX_105_2019 size 51
    They have 2 other cannondales close to your price point but size 54; Scotts are all in large sizes.
    I don’t know how c/daes size up; if you’re interested, call Drakes on thursday and ask – they’re helpful.
    As for Radons – I have an alu, rim braked, force 22 one of theirs from about 6 years ago; great vfm, light, stable – not noodle, comfortable; no complaints, it’s great.
    In terms of ride comfort, it compares well with my Ti disc-braked bike.

tpbiker
    Free Member

so much god-awful squealing in the wet from discs

Not just me then. I thought the whole benefit of disks would be when it’s wet and grimy, but in reality my ultegras squeal and rub like crazy whenever there is a drop of moisture.

Conversely, I have tiagra hydros on my gravel bike and they seem ok in wet, and my winter roadie has trp hydros and they are fine although not as powerful.

For a grand id be getting a discounted defy 3. It’s only got tiagra and the giant semi hydro brakes, but the frame will be far better than the planet x offering.

singletrackmind

Merlin listing a Felt VR4 51cm , Some Ultegra , Hydro Shimano discs, carbon F+F , Shiity fsa crankset
    but at £1149 I would remove teh crankset, throw a compact Ultegra on it , sell the FSA super compact to someoene who lives in Switzerland , cost ~ £100 to upgrade to a great spec

ctk
    Free Member

Felt VR4 looks good to me as well. Geometry looks like it might be designed to be more comfortable than racey.

mickolas
    Free Member

Another vote for cube attain sl disc. I have one and it’s super comfy. Cubes own ‘cubeguard’ mudguards are light and stable. Not as fast as my ‘fast’ alu bike but it’s no slug. If I could only have one road bike it would HAVE to have guards and discs. My only real gripe with rim brakes is wear/replacement on rim. But it’s a big gripe!

BadlyWiredDog

Not just me then. I thought the whole benefit of disks would be when it’s wet and grimy, but in reality my ultegras squeal and rub like crazy whenever there is a drop of moisture.

It’s usually a pad thing though. Try a different compound / brand, degrease and maybe rough up the rotors with some wet and dry paper, make sure they’re properly aligned.

I have Campag rim brakes on my road bike and with compressionless brake housing, Swisstop pads and Exalith rims (on the posh wheels) they’re astonishingly good, but I wouldn’t use them in winter anyway. I just ride the cross bike with disc brakes, not least because it saves wearing out rims.

Personally, for the amount of proper road riding I actually do these days, I’d be more likely to buy some sort of gravel(ish) bike than a road bike, particularly if it was going to be my only ‘not a mountain bike’. It’s just a lot more versatile even if with less blade-like focus.

ads678

but the frame will be far better than the planet x offering.

Why? Genuine question btw.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Tiagra hydraulic group, but ~£675 when added to basket https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-vr40-disc-road-bike-2018-146239.html

Or ~£900 for 105 5800 hydraulic https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-roc-disc-105-road-bike-114799.html

Never tried an alloy version, but my carbon Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016 has done me great for almost three years, not exactly aero but that’s fine for my back!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘stuck on which road bike to choose help!’ is closed to new replies.