Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stripping the bike down
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

Ever start stripping a bike down for some good TLC and regret it half way through?

It turns out, the spacers on the top shock bushing are essentially non-existent, some pretty major wear over the winter. Headset bearings are starting to feel a tad crunchey, bottom bracket won’t be lasting much longer, rotors are heavily worn, and could use replacing, new brake pads required (I expected this though and ordered some new ones a few weeks ago) and a full new set of frame bearings are required. Ohh, and I need to do a seal service on the rear shock.

Now, who was it wished it on me for my bike to need lots of working doing?

danielgroves
    Free Member

And I havn’t even looked at the roadie yet…

z1ppy

I’m ignoring several jobs, by riding a different bike… that now looks like it need a fork service, bugger.
    So I’ve just emailed a shop to see about a new bike 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thats possibly the worst mobile i’ve ever seen….

You’re not going to your cables and outers any favours by leaving them hanging like that either.

Northwind

Look at it this way, better to find out now than when it all goes horribly wrong. You could always just bolt it back together and carry on, and be no worse off but now you know about it, you’d sooner fix it right?

bigyinn – Member

You’re not going to your cables and outers any favours

Or, on the other hand, any harm

spacehopper

at a slight tangent.. what are those black cable mount things on your top tube?

they look much better than the current zip ties ive got on my Meta5 holding the dropper post cable on!

I_Ache
    Free Member

How could you not have noticed that the bearings and bushes needed replacing? Are you the sort of person to ride around with a noisy bike not caring what is going wrong with it? Or are you really picky and are wanting to replace things before they actually need it?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Sorted(ish)!

I’ll get away with the bearings for a little while longer… the bits that’ll need doing before I go to scotland are now on order – but it’s rideable.

at a slight tangent.. what are those black cable mount things on your top tube?

Its some of these. I refused to just whack cable ties around my top tube… decided it would look far too messy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jagwire-Alloy-Stick-on-Housing-Cable-Guide-4-pcs-/180773070448?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item2a16ea2670

How could you not have noticed that the bearings and bushes needed replacing? Are you the sort of person to ride around with a noisy bike not caring what is going wrong with it? Or are you really picky and are wanting to replace things before they actually need it?

They’re not making any noise, they just feel rough. Its only actually two out of the ten(?) bearings that really need doing urgently, they just feel very rough. Not ideal, but they’ll last a tad longer. I got the code off them anyway so I’ll go and try to find some on eBay shortly. The bottom bracket has needed doing for ages… I’ve just never gotten around to ordering a replacement.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stripping the bike down’ is closed to new replies.