Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stripping off anodising?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Anybody stripped a handlebar of it's anodising and polished them

I've decided that the Spank 777's are too wide but don't want to cut them down and I still like mid-rise Easton EA70's but they don't come in silver so was thinking of getting a set and stripping the anodising off and giving them a shine

Anybody else done a big bit like this and how did you get on?

Cheers

Ken

TheSwede
    Free Member

A guy on here stripped some bars and polished them with brute force, nitromors and wire wool. They looked great but you would need to clear coat them or keep on buffing them up with auotosol or the like.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Like I said before (when no-one took any notice) neat traffic film remover, like what they use in jet washes at garages, that definately takes it off. I know cos i used to have a garage with a jet wash & i tried it on a blue Middleburn chainring.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    TheSwede – Member

A guy on here stripped some bars and polished them with brute force, nitromors and wire wool. They looked great but you would need to clear coat them or keep on buffing them up with auotosol or the like.
    Posted 4 minutes ago # Report-Post

That was me 🙂

I still have em ken – Syncros bulk low risers. You can have em for £15 posted (they are identical in shape to ea50 ow risers but 690mm wide)

ken_shields
    Free Member

I know how to get it off as have done loads of wee bits but never anything this big.

Oven cleaner is the way to go to get the coating off. It leaves it a bit dull but a nice finish to polish up

ken_shields
    Free Member

ralph

Could you send me a pic please to ken_shields@btopenworld.com

Cheers

Ken

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ken it will be tomorrow night as i am off to bed now.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Right, thats it, If anyone asks about stripping anodising off stuff I'm not giving any more advice!!

Sybil!, where's the traffic film remover??

ken_shields
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock, I know how to 🙄

I just haven't done anything the size of handlebars

Now the hard part is finding something long enough to do it in

racing_ralph
    Free Member

pix are on there way ken

toys19
    Free Member

oven pride, its got caustic soda and strips anodising nice comprehensive guide here radbmx but I think you may need to register first.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Now the hard part is finding something long enough to do it in
    SAW THE BARS IN HALF YOU FOOL!! 🙄

mattsccm
    Free Member

Caustic soda and a toothbrush. Try it it 5 second does. thats exactly what is done to alloy before annodising and does no harm. You won't have much to shift . 2 microns maybe. Bear in mind that the polish under the colour may not be great as it was roughened to take the coating.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stripping off anodising?’ is closed to new replies.