Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Stripping a Steel frame- brake cleaner, nitromorse or ?
  • cokie

I’ve just bought a new frame and need to prep it for powder coating or spraying.
    The powdercoater uses sand blasting which I’m not keen on because it can pit and damage the frame. I’m looking at preping it at home and then dropping it off for painting.

What’s the best way to strip a steel frame without damage?
    – I’ve read that brake cleaner does a rather good job of this.
    – Nitromors has changed their recipe so isn’t particularly strong.

Where to source the strong stuff?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What about Bicarbonate blasting?

cokie

Thanks GFS! Looks spot on.
    I’ve found a local firm that offers this. I’ll call and get a quote later.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Holy **** I posted a useful answer in the bike forum?!

Crap, standards are slipping 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Rustins paint remover worked for me.

thepodge
    Free Member

Find a different powder coater, there are loads that know what they can and cant do to bikes.

I’d imagine that their finish would be dependant on the quality of the stripped frame so any corrosion between you stripping it and them painting it and it’ll look pants.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My powder coaters used a fine sand type blasting they do a lot of bikes and the finish was great song guess they know what they are doing.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Brake cleaner will not strip paint. It’ll clean it though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

There are all sorts of less aggressive media for spray blasting than sand. Fine someone else to strip the frame.

binners

Find a different powder coater, there are loads that know what they can and cant do to bikes.

This

The powder coaters I used acid dipped my frame to strip it. They then did a fantastic job of the powder coat

Where are you based cokie?

Mowgli
    Free Member

‘Syn-Strip’ uses a formula like the old Nitromors and is very strong. It’s only meant for industrial use, but you can get it on ebay by telling a little porkie. Otherwise, some blasting firms use crushed up wallnut shells which isn’t as fierce as grit or sand.

cokie

Thanks for the advice.
    I’ve spoken to a local firm that will strip with bicarbonate blasting and powdercoat it for me for under £50. Job done I think.

Now.. what colour for a Stooge..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is sand really too aggressive for steel though? Aluminium parts have to have a bit more care, but steel is pretty hard.

Either way, get the powdercoaters to do it, so much less hassle.

Nitromors does still work, but it’s better on some paints than others.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Stripping a Steel frame- brake cleaner, nitromorse or ?’ is closed to new replies.