Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stripped the threads in crank arm, any tips for getting it off?
  • mattk
    Free Member

So the crank puller stripped the threads from the drive side arm and now i can’t get the bugger off.

It’s currently got a coating of WD40, and tonight it’s going to get a good dose of the mallet and foul language. Unless you guys have any good tips for a more gentle way of removing it?

Cheers
    Matt

AlasdairMc

Go riding, it will loosen of its own accord if you’ve removed the crank bolt.

rocketman
    Free Member

ride round for while it will soon fall off or use a rubber mallet & wooden drift

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Use a Ball joint Extractor and a mallet. Assuming it’s square taper or the original hollowtech?

ziggy
    Free Member

Ball joint remover, a quick few smacks with the biggest hammer you have and it will fly off, Might damage the cranks in the process mind, although I wouldn’t be refitting them if it was me.

MarkyG82

Id use a bearing puller. Ball joint tools do basically the same job but a bit more agressive.

If the back side of the crank is rounded profile then a zip tie around the arms of the puller should stop them spreading.

Take a pic and we can point and laugh… sorry, advise 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hit it with a rubber/leather mallet a few times, it’ll fly off.

If that doesnt work, move onto a normal metal one.

If that doesnt work, either escalate the effort or hammer size untill it does.

Marko

Just ‘tickle’ the arm with a hair dryer/hot air gun/blow torch. Quench the axle/BB/spindle at the same time. Gentle tap with a soft faced mallet. Job done.
    Marko

mattk
    Free Member

Cheers fellas, just looking at a selection of ball joint removers now!

They range from £160 for a fancy looking set of jaws to a few quid for a big 2 pronged fork – I know which one it will be!

Thanks for the advice, Mallet will be most upset!

R.lepecha

Had the same problem once, Resorted to a vice and a hacksaw to cut down the crank at the side of the BB axle, would not budge with a hammer. Was a cheap crank, luckily.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Cheap and quick cut BB axle with Hacksaw drift out remainder with hammer and whatever is handy. If BB is shot that is..

sobriety
    Free Member

Had the same problem once, Resorted to a vice and a hacksaw to cut down the crank at the side of the BB axle, would not budge with a hammer. Was a cheap crank, luckily.

This, if you don’t want the cranks. Doesn’t take too long either.

traildog
    Free Member

Just cut the crank. Saw down to the BB axle and it’ll come off easily and if not, drive a chisel or similar down your cut. I’d have thought the BB axle is a lot tougher to cut than the crank.
    The threads on the crank are stripped anyway, so I cannot see why you’d want to keep it.

Militant_biker

I’ve unscrewed the BB out from the frame and used the BB shell to take the crank off. Obviously, this only works on one side of the BB, AND relies on a well-greased BB.

porter_jamie

ball joint breaker puller. i used this method a few weeks ago. borrow one of a mate is the best way 🙂

Ambrose

Take it to the LBS who can rethread it for you. Cost me £15 a couple of years ago. Cranks still going strong today.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stripped the threads in crank arm, any tips for getting it off?’ is closed to new replies.