Home Forums Bike Forum Strava segments – TFPS

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Strava segments – TFPS
  • thepurist

I keep seeing roadie segments with “TFPS” at the end and can’t fathom out what it stands for – anyone in the know?

Totally Flipping Pointless Segment?

This Frays Purists Sanity? 

oceanskipper

Totally Fit Professional Syclist?

13thfloormonk

Tactical First Person Shooter? Have they gunnened up Zwift?

sixtoes

It’s probably an acronym for a local cycling club or event that takes place in that area.

sixtoes

Near Chertsey?

The Flying Pig Society

Would be my guess.

thepurist

Near Chertsey?

That’ would overlap my local patch but searching strava brings up segments in other places like Newport and Soller. Guess those pigs fly a fair way.

Still seems a bit odd for a club to “claim” a segment, but then I don’t understand a lot of things about roadie clubs.

slowoldman

Still seems a bit odd for a club to “claim” a segment, but then I don’t understand a lot of things about roadie clubs.

Anyone can create a segment and give it whatever name they wish.

MrSparkle
    crazy-legs

The guy who wrote all those 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs ” books created his own segments for each climb, even when they were almost identical to existing segments.

He just called them all “Official Greatest Climb #(number) – (name of climb)

DickBarton

Possibly used as part of a club confined race series…so everyone rides the segment and the times might get recorded and tracked to see who leads the segment chasing in the club. By including the club initials, it is the one that gets counted towards whatever chewing sweet the winner wins.

Matesrace was brilliant for this, but is no longer available (which is a genuine shame)…it didn’t need any special naming on segments, just needed the required segments to be included in the challenge.

bensales
    Free Member

My running club does it. We have a load of segments with the club name attached. They’re used for informal competition, tracking training improvement, and friendly rivalry. It also stops members from continually creating more segments for the same thing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.