Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Strava – calories burnt
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

Just looking at my commute stats. 24.6km and 1084 calories burnt. Should I be eating extra to counter this?

jam-bo

are you wasting away?

chvck
    Free Member

Are the calories burnt reported by these sorts of fitness tracker anywhere near accurate? I’ve always assumed not but don’t actually know…

theendisnigh
    Free Member

swallow a small lump of coal each day. coal is packed full of calories.

somouk
    Free Member

I find strava normally puts my calories burnt significantly lower than the Garmin I ride with so not sure which to believe.

If you find you’re wasting away and or completely knackered then consider replacing the spent energy.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Fuel the engine accordingly.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Trimmed up a bit, not wasting away. Totally exhausted today though. Day 2 of week 3. Is coal iDave compatible?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Strava always gives me a lower figure than my garmin
    Even when I use a heart rate belt

jameso

24.6km and 1084 calories burnt

Are you towing a truck tyre? )

~400 calories an hour estimate for a av to brisk pace that you can keep up for 3hrs or so? Dunno how accurate that is but same goes for app-based calorie counters.

fourbanger
    Free Member

It felt like it today, but think it was just a spare tyre. Elev gain of 767m might skew it a bit.

jameso

)
    That’s a fair climb for 25km, could be right if you’re working hard.

njee20
    Free Member

How long does it take? Sounds too high to me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i ignore the calorie jiffy on strava/garmin

i eat when im hungry.

as long as im doing high levels of exercise it will fack off.

find it more important to fuel the machine or i get fatigued – and thats not conducive to happy rides.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

A Roubaix rider was around the 8,000 calorie mark, so 24km probably isnt 1,000. 4-500 is probably far more accurate. Probably.*

*I am not a doctor/sports scientist

trail_rat
    Free Member

“A Roubaix rider was around the 8,000 calorie mark”

more accurately – a roubaix rider is much more efficient he was doing 40mph but his HR etc was probably far lower than you or i

barrykellett
    Free Member

What has heart rate got to do with it? Its about energy expended

trail_rat
    Free Member

absolutely nothing obviously ……….

ill leave you to think about this.

will
    Free Member

Does seem slightly high, although that is a lot of climbing.

For comparison 20 miles yesterday over flat roads used 734 calories according to Strava.

jameso

I sat on an exercise bike in a hotel gym a few times a couple of weeks ago. If I did 1 hour at upper half of zone 2 on my HRM (matched by the HR on the machine to within a BPM or 2) the power at that level was around 200-230W, calories used about 450/hr. Usually I only ride on feel or with a HRM, no speedo or strava etc so no idea if that’s accurate at all, power sounded a bit high so I guess calories used would be over-estimated.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Mine seemed abnormally high, but then I realised that it was defaulting to my 30lb mountain bike when I was riding a 6.8kg road bike!

I wouldn’t use it as anything more than a rough guideline and to compare against other rides that you’ve strava’d.

chief9000
    Free Member

barrykellett – Member

What has heart rate got to do with it? Its about energy expended

Heart rate has everything to do with it. It correlates with effort and calorie burn (as long as other factors: size, weight resting HR etc are taken into account)

barrykellett
    Free Member

chief9000 – Member
    Heart rate has everything to do with it. It correlates with effort and calorie burn (as long as other factors: size, weight resting HR etc are taken into account)

So if we both ride 10 miles and have the same average heart rate over that ride we have both burned the same calories?

lol

trail_rat
    Free Member

far from it.

but its a much better indicator of effort exerted.

if you took a fella from the paris roubaix and rode at the same speed he would be putting in as much effort to maintain that speed and would subsequently have a lower % of max HR

bit like revving your engine at 2000 rpm in 5th vs revving it at 7000rpm in 4th on the motorway

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m doing 22 at the moment and only burning about 780 max and that’s according to my garmin with HR and Cadence sensors.

I only average about 15.5 mph as it’s through central London and my average HR is about 165.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fuel as required, if your on a fad diet it may not be as compatible with exercise as others.

If your trying to loose weight eat nothing more if not eat stuff.

The missus recently did one where she was on 1200 calories a day (I was probably 1500) I was hungry all the time but could still maintain the exercise.

fourbanger
    Free Member

How long does it take? Sounds too high to me

So 24.6km with 767m elevation in 1.09. I’m about 85kg right now. BMI is 28.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Strava – calories burnt’ is closed to new replies.