Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 408 total)
  • Strathpuffer 2010 and all this snow
  • cullen-bay
    Free Member

nope, its set in snow 😛

allankelly

BTW, can anyone point me at a decent Contin trail map? Google doesn't seem to know.

And for the chap lacking accommodation for his wife: that was me last year. We booked with Tony at Coul Holiday Cottages, which was *absuloutely*lovely*. We've got one of Tony's cottages again this year. Can't recommend highly enough. Tony's on 07966131842 – you may be lucky!
    http://www.coulholidaycottages.com/

Cheers, al.

simplesi
    Free Member

room at the castle

I've booked a room here for Friday night, looks like they have some left

martinxyz
    Free Member

The road north of aviemore hasnt been good for a month. today was the best day so far with a fairly clear road but dont get cocky. the windblown snow in places you werent expecting (bridge over the findhorn at Tomatin) can appear from nowhere so if you are driving up in the eve when the slush is starting to freeze and you hit the bridge at 70mph.. and find the snow all over the road, good luck trying to scrub the speed on one of the most icy parts of the A9! just take it easy.

By the way, anyone heading up north to this race without a shovel has forgotten one really important tool.not just for emergencies you might have on the road,but once you get there it will probably end up being yer best friend.

A plastic snow shovel sells for 15 quid. try and get one back home as the local store sold 60 in 1 hour and the other hardware store sold 400 in 1 hour.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

You can buy contin trail maps from squarewheels allankelly… dont know if you can get them online.

andyruss
    Free Member

Lots of work done on the top half today.Fireroad is now snow free and 4 of us cut a trail from the fireroad to the bridge of thighs,about half way through.Back out tomorrow and thursday.Anyone free to help out more than welcome.Time now to relax in a radox bath
    P S cullen, Callums frame arrived today 2.54lbs

allankelly

thanks cullen, now you mention it i might even have one from before. Al.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey guys, I couldn't get transport for yesterday or today. Will have a car tomorrow though, what time do you need a hand?

trail_rat
    Free Member

was in bnq at garthdee tonight – met another cyclist in getting supplies for ice tires – people are taking this seriously :O

popped into alpine and they said the last week they have had more requests for them than they have had the entire time that the mechanic had worked there (8 years)

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Snow Free Fire Road ..What about ice free?

Still need for ice spikes? The million dollar question!!

I made some up today just in case!

cullen-bay
    Free Member

2.54 lbs?!?! thats 1150grams, around the same weight as mine, IIRC?
    enough frame waving! I hope he enjoys riding it… in Aberfoyle 😈

Niterider- questions-have you cut the track like we did on the latter half of monday?
    -Have you replied to that e-mail from "the lonely puffer"
    -do radox baths actually work, or is it purely for the bubbles?

Ta

cullen-bay
    Free Member

krembo- NR means that the firetack is clear of almost all snow…

andyruss
    Free Member

Hi doug,about 10.30 at the shop,if thats ok.

andyruss
    Free Member

lower fire road icy upper fire road patchy :wink:,thaw is taking hold but don`t what it to freeze at night

Alek
    Free Member

Good effort guys, keep up the excellent work. Did you have a decent posse today Niterider? At this rate you'll be half the man you were last week!! 😉

Planning a rekkie tomorrow nite to check up on all your good work.

Big thaw here today in the Muir/Inverness 😐

andyruss
    Free Member

Yeah a good crew,A few more to help tomorrow,doing are upmost to ensure its near as dam the full course.Enjoy your ride tomorrow,let us know how it went,if all goes well you won`t have to walk to much 😈

cullen-bay
    Free Member

and take pictures…. of the course, that is. 😳 😯

andyruss
    Free Member

Hi cullen left e mail for lonely puffer.Call me at work tomorrow.

trout
    Free Member

Hey up cullen posted the Light today should be with you before 01.00 tomorrow I think I forgot to put any instructions in so will email some in the morning .

what is the mileage for a lap of the course .

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Around 6 miles per lap… cant wait to see the light now!
    NR- Will do, was going to call in and change my forks around, il leave it till thursday…

allankelly

I think my inter-lap hobby will be taking pictures of ice tyres. Cue Flickr gallery!

So: how peed off will you diggers be if it all melts before Saturday 1000 !?

I spent ages hacking a safe walking path along our street yesterday evening for the kids… and this morning the street was completely clear! ?#%$ 🙄

Cheers, al.

marty
    Free Member

mad props (as we say in fife) to the organisers and their helpers for getting this on.

buckets
    Free Member

hey niterider. thanks for tip about the tyres. did one tonight and your rite DOGS BALLS. will make the other tomorrow. great job in track. wont manage out cause on 12 hour runs in lorry this week but will pop in on friday. and sorry about depot but the man from delmonty he say no.

andyruss
    Free Member

Diggers won

p

ll be.

andyruss
    Free Member

Allan the diggers won`t be peed of at all if it melts.Most of us are riding in the race or helping on the day so better the conditions are is great with us

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

But if it melts it won't be such fun 🙁

really looking forward to it no – thanks again to the traildiggers

churcherian
    Free Member

Hearing the A9 has taken another pounding overnight and is shut in places! How's puff-land?

turneround

went up this morning and its still snowed over with a nice ice underlay… the top part off the fire road is knee deep in some places. Alek (on here) is off to ride it tomorrow so i'll get him to post an updates…. its a bit sloppy going into the carpark and camping area due to the temp increase we have had… metcheck says rain early sun am… not nice

sq wheels boys have been doing lots to get things ready…. good luck to all you folk in tents!! 3 thermarests me thinks.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Guys, I'm going to be a bit late! The drive is a skating rink and I'll need to do some ice breaking before I have a chance of getting the car out! At least I'll be warmed up by the time I get there.

If anyone's not left yet is there any chance you could tell me where you're working and I'll head up there and get you? I'll check the thread before I leave.

allankelly

Snow gates closed at Dalwhinnie on the A9.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/currentincidents/index.aspx

al.

mountainchub
    Free Member

It's no problem – A9 will be clear for travelling north on Friday.

By the power of greyskull – WE HAVE THE POWER! Shovels!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i be traveling the wonderous road that is the a96 …. **** death trap of a road at the best of time

allankelly

Trail rat – you're not cycling there again are you?!
    al.

Alek
    Free Member

Niterider…….is it still suitable to use your horse lorry / camp site during the race? Will have a kit back and cool box with me!

Was intending to park the car away from the main parking but would therefore need a base and somewhere to catch up, get a proper seat/hot drinks etc.

Alonelypuffer
    Free Member

I may as well start this ball rolling – there must be others in my situation?

To cut a long story short my puffer team have abandoned me and pulled out, so short of doing it as a solo (not really an option!) I haven’t got a ride. Has anyone else been abandoned by team mates at the last minute and wondering how you are going to fill a space? I cannot get anyone to fill spaces at this stage so am offering myself up to any team that needs to fill a space.

To get an idea of standards, we weren't really aiming to do a competitive race, it was all about taking part and enjoying what should be one of the best puffers yet – in normal conditions I'll do a lap up the fire road to Bill, over the viewpoint and on down to View rock and down in about an hour, so I admit I am not the fastest but got a load of enthusiasm to go the distance.

So if you're short of a rider and I can help email me here dnjholland@hotmail.co.uk ….if it's any benefit I will come with Red Poppy meal tickets from those who have abandoned me!
    Cheers

A Lonely Puffer

trail_rat
    Free Member

Trail rat – you're not cycling there again are you?!

too much kit needed for the puffer – although the way my motors going i might end up towing it there !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A lonely puffer – just solo. YOu know it makes sense

trail_rat
    Free Member

from localised reports im getting it seems if he has gears he will beat me …

Alek
    Free Member

Yeah right Terry (podium!) ya we whippet 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

well i was hoping SS would be an advantage in these conditions but mr bathgate tells us 32:18 got him about 200 yards before he was fair puggled.

He pushes bigger gears than me normally !

hores hoping things go wildly wet and sloppy and SS might become an advantage again

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 408 total)

The topic ‘Strathpuffer 2010 and all this snow’ is closed to new replies.