Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Stove guys/gals – cheapest logs online?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’m ordering my first lot of wood for my newly fitted woodburner… I want enough for all winter and have decided it’s about 4 dumpy bags worth. The best deal I think I’ve found is £285 for this:

Kiln Dried Logs Extra Large Crate

Can I just double check…
    is this a good deal?
    Is oak the best wood to burn for a longer lasting log?

All the local stuff is £90 per dumpy bag making it nearly £100 more expensive than this if indeed I get the amount of cubic wood they say.

Thanks!

PS located South Cumbria.

lesgrandepotato

That’s expensive! Last lot I bought I think was £110 quid for three dumpies.

lesgrandepotato

PS located south Cumbria.

richardkennerley

I’m near Blackpool and paid £170 for 2m^3 of hard wood delivered.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m currently paying £70 for a crate of hardwood (2 dumpy bags worth they claim)

timber

Fair price for the effort to package like that, but would expect a 12′ trailer to cost nearly half as much and contain more logs. Air dried is fine unless you plan to keep them in your airing cupboard.

alexxx
    Free Member

lesgrandepotato – where did you get yours from please?

Just looked a bit further seems to be some good deals on ebay.. but only £70 per dumpy of hardwood.

£30 per dumpy collected of softwood in preston.. that sounds quite cheap – is softwood a lot faster burning to make that not worth it?

alexxx
    Free Member

richardkennerley – wheres that from as well please?

timber

Just to add, actual dumpy bags are rubbish for drying unless they are the vented mesh ones. Fine if they are just the method of delivery. Lot of people now using ibc frames, fence net on a pallet or potato boxes.

Supply shouldn’t be an issue if you’re near Cumbria.
    A lot of sellers don’t advertise online, they get by just fine by word of mouth, we even ask our customers to not pass on our details, doing as much as we want to do already.

richardkennerley

Just outside great eccleston, a nursery on moss side lane. Not named on Google maps but you can see the log piles!

ElShalimo

It’s about £90 per builders bag here too.
    Anyone got any log supplier recommendations in Huddersfield/Halifax area?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Paton As usual None of your links are useful none of those link contain where to buy logs.

I guess you live in a mains gas area and have the option not to have a wood burner doing the bulk of the heating

But anyway wouldn’t waste my money on kiln dried logs

Soft wood burns quicker yes but also releases the heat to the room quicker and gets a good burn on quicker. For the average stove use of a few hours at night. More than adaquate. If your burning all day long then hard wood may save you a few trips to the stove.

I pay 230 for a 6ton truck to the gunwhales

I also buy in April/may at least then I don’t have to worry about what turns up moisture wise and it tends to be cheaper

ElShalimo

It’s easy to dismiss kiln dried logs when you are a woodburning seasoned veteran (no pun intended) but it sounds like the OP has just had a stove fitted and need some logs immediately.
    We’re in the same position. New stove fitted yesterday, no log supplies, so in need of logs + log store + sundry items.

Unless you have the foresight to build a log store, fill it with logs to season early in the year many months before fitting a stove, this would seem like a normal situation.

Drac

Kiln dried takes away the gamble of will they be properly seasoned or not. I much prefer hardwood over soft, properly seasoned will light in seconds but burn for ages.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Kiln dried logs… really.
    So you’ve not just got the pollution issues linked to above from the stove itself, but also the issues from the kiln that’s used to try the logs .

Nice.

Drac

You haven’t read the articles above.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“properly seasoned will light in seconds ”

Read again , its not about lighting them , they will light easy yes BUT the softwood gets up to temp and starts giving out heat QUICKER.

ElShalimo

@thegeneralist – according to the BBC article above our postcode is rated as 1 (low pollution levels) so we’re going to do our best to elevate the pollution levels to a point where you can reach hand-wringing nirvana

mugsys_m8

hmmm…drying wood in an oven to then use it as a fuel.

Yep. Sounds like a great idea. Crack on….

Or maybe you could think about it and buy something more envrionmentally sustainable. In fact do this. Please.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m in the borders, just paid £100 for two dumpy bags. Could have had three for £120 but only have a tiny log store.
    Parents have loads of room, they get a massive trailer, probably four or five dumpy bags worth for £200.
    PS Barn-dried

oldtennisshoes

alexx, those crates look like they’ve come from Eastern Europe – not great in terms of carbon footprint.

Edit – Arbtalk is always an interesting read
    https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/forum/12-firewood-forum/

johndoh
    Free Member

Any recommendations for logs around Harrogate – we are currently paying £85 per dumpy bag now that I have burned through our seasoned store of big tree which we removed last year (still have about approx half a dumpy bag worth to chop but have a bad arm so can’t do any chopping right now) 🙁

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Drax bring their biomass pellets all the way from America! How on earth does that work in terms of carbon footprint?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Drax bring their biomass pellets all the way from America! How on earth does that work in terms of carbon footprint?”

Do drax care ?

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’ve just had 960kg of pini kay logs delivered. They are everywhere! Open a cupboard: pini kay logs! On stairs: pini kay logs! And so on…. £325 delivered so not cheap but hopefully will last all winter.
    I’m a first time stoveist. Had it fitted yesterday and just waiting for the plaster to dry out before I can light it.
    I was recommended the pini kay logs but not sure I’d buy them again. Don’t know how they are going to burn but each 12 piece pack comes plastic wrapped which kind of makes a mockery of their less polluting ‘green’ credentials.

ElShalimo

Oops I forgot the 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

The Pilot – link to where from?

ThePilot
    Free Member

https://www.bioglow.co.uk/pini-kay-wood-fuel-briquettes/woodmix-pini-kay-briquettes-1

They are actually £329 but I don’t suppose £4 will make any difference 🙂

dashed
    Free Member

Also worth a ring around some of the tree surgeons in your area – many do logs as a bi-product or will point you in the direction of a mate who does. If you’ve got room to store then buy now for next winter if it’s still green and you’ll have a seasoned pile to go at without having had to pay someone to store and/or dry it for you.

WRT to the original question on Oak – I don’t mind it, but only if mixed with other sorts of hardwood (and very well seasoned). It smoulders and gives head out slowly. Mixed with something like beech or ash it gives a nice balance.

sharkbait
    Free Member

^ this is what I do. I have a tree surgeon who drops off approx 7 tons for about £70 – I then get to play with the chainsaw and log splitter 🙂

The only downside (and it’s pretty insignificant) is that he tends to bring me the stuff other people can’t deal with so it’s generally very big and not easily handled – but I’m lucky enough to have a large concreted area with easy access that he can dump the stuff on, like this:

tthew

gives head out slowly.

And that’s a bad thing?

Drac

Read again , its not about lighting them , they will light easy yes BUT the softwood gets up to temp and starts giving out heat QUICKER.

Lighting quick means they get there quick too it doesn’t take much working out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what ever drac, the people paid to know (and those profiting from YOUR wood snobbery) oh and the scandanavians disagree with you.

Mixed burn for the win. i only burn hardwood when the stoves on all day if i have any ready. for evenings softwood for the win.

If all the woodburners in the uk were wood snobs we would be out of hardwood quick sharp.

and oldtennishoes is on it – ARbtalk dont half love laughing at hardwoods only snobs.

yeha
    Free Member

Johndoh – try Scotton Tree Care. My lad’s a tree surgeon but he does powerlines and hasn’t got time to bring the good stuff home.

alibongo001

Any top tips for log sources around Halifx?

I have used some thick briquettes from a Wood place near Corby and they are great if you dont mind them not looking like a proper log

I think it was 180 for 900kg and they have about 4% moisture!

Drac

and oldtennishoes is on it – ARbtalk dont half love laughing at hardwoods only snobs.

🙄😂

I’ve a multi fuel stove I buy a mixture of fuels.

alexxx
    Free Member

So I’m not really that fussed about having to top it up more often as if I’m doing a longer burn I’ll probably use some reformed type wood. So that being said is £30 a dumpy bag of seasoned softwood collected the cheapest I’ll be looking at getting? Or does that still equate very closely to a £70 dumpy bag of hardwood? Once kw/h burn time is guessed?

ElShalimo

I’ve found a local company doing loose loads (~2.5 builder bags) of barn dried seasoned logs for £110
    Less kittens will perish now
    😋

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Stove guys/gals – cheapest logs online?’ is closed to new replies.