Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Stop using shampoo for your hair?
  • ski
    Free Member

Bit curious, thats all..

My hair is quite short anyway, but I have always suffered from a sensitive scalp, so when a friend said they used to have the same problem, untill they stopped using shampoo/soap on their hair 5 years ago, they have not had a problem since?

cheese@4p

But have they got dresds now?

Stoner
    Free Member

I only use shampoo once a month or so – usually when I need to get cement dust out of my hair or similar.

tthew

What other thing that’s similar to hair might you need to get cement dust out of? Fur coat? Tigerskin rug?

philconsequence
    Free Member

you can use shampoo on dreads, i did weekly for 10 years

trail_rat
    Free Member

i used to use unscented bar soap on my dreads phil 😀

still do that to this day – when ever ive used shampoo i get itchy scalp

philconsequence
    Free Member

i just used the cheapest most basic unscented shampoo i could find, the more ingredients and perfumes the more rubbish that gets left in your hair/on your scalp to dry it out.

geoffj

What is this hair of which you speak? 😕

leffeboy

i used to use unscented bar soap on my phil

Do you have names for all your body parts? 😯

Ordinary soap works really well. Great when touring so you don’t need to arse around with another bottle of something

mt
    Free Member

Most manufacturers of shampoo are chemical companies. Either give the stuff up or try one without so much stuff on the contents label.

How come there is some much choice of this stuff in the shop? is everyones hair so different?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

you can use shampoo on dreads, i did weekly for 10 years

Me too, only kept mine for 5, but still.

ski
    Free Member

I tried beer once, cannot say that made much difference..

ericemel
    Free Member

I only wash my hair once or twice a month. I find it much nicer.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Haven’t washed my hair for about a year now. I rinse it in the shower daily but don’t use shampoo. It was itchy and a bit greasy to start with then it settles down.

I’ve always struggled to get my head round the idea of using shampoo to wash the natural oils out of hair and then replacing them with the chemical alternatives in conditioner.

franksinatra

I never use shampoo. Not on any agenda, just don’t use it. The most my hair gets is a few suds from the shower gel about once or twice a month.

Mrs S wouldn’t be shy in telling me if it was smelly or greasy no it clearly isn’t a problem

ski
    Free Member

How long does it take your hair to get past the greasy stage when you stop using shampoo?

philconsequence
    Free Member

ski, the hair seems to like cycles, if you wash daily it’ll be greasy by the end of the day, weekly, at the end of the week, monthly, end of the months and so on 🙂 IME of course

stever
    Free Member

I didn’t wash mine for a year and a bit. Settled down in 2 or 3 weeks I think. If you’re doing sport and showering fairly regularly it’s enough to get the bigger bits of debris out. Can’t remember why I started again now. On a whim I think.

jimsmith
    Free Member

Ive not used shampoo for well over a decade, your hair and my scalp really settled down after a few months.
    Ive found it really depends on the water where you are living. soft water seems to clean much better.
    Ive been told it also depends on your hair type and length too. some people find it much harder to go ‘no poo’ (as its often called!)
    Ive also found a simple way for getting anything out (I used to get very dusty at work) or if it gets greasy. basically rinse it vigourously with hot water, then wash your hands and rinse it again. repete until clean… I find the dirt and oil stick to my hands rather than my hair. this works better when your hands have been softened from the hot water so i do it at the end of a shower.usually i do this maybe once a month.
    also be careful not to get too much of the hair oils onto your skin as this can result in fungal infections such as tinea yeast infections which are very common in populations with high amounts of sebum production in the scalp (most notably west africa) some claim an infection rate of 50% globally for tinea.
    this is easially avoidable by drying your hair with a different towl.
    I cant begin to calculate the money this has saved me over the years in hair products and in hot water. it saves time too.
    not for everyone but if you have short non greasy hair its a breeze IMHO

TiRed

T Gel shampoo. I have scalp psoriasis and this has been wonderful. Been using it for years. Not cheap though. And I wash my hair daily.

nacho
    Free Member

I use shampoo around once a week. I’m thinkin of stopping – my wife stopped around a year ago, she occasionally uses vinegar to clean it. Her hair took a while to adapt as previously she washed it daily with shampoo, I guess it took time for the natural oils to come back after being doused in chemicals.
    It is now in better condition than it ever was and shoulder length so not short!

snipswhispers
    Free Member

just regular soap to clean my hair and then rinsed out with some vinegar (the clear stuff)…which also helps remove any excess soap from my skin.

CountZero

I stopped using shampoo several years ago, after reading about people who had done it. I just give my hair a really good rub through with my fingers when I have a shower. My hair certainly seems better for it.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

same here, dont even comb mine either, just get up and go 😉

emsz
    Free Member

if it’s short should be OK, was going to mention yeast infections but jimsmith got there first

jon1973
    Free Member

E45 Shampoo…couple of times a day 🙂

ps44
    Free Member

About 10 years without shampoo for me, but what hair there is clipped to 7mm. My wife washes and conditions hers twice a day – I’ve given up the argument 😕

ojom
    Free Member

None here. Hair seems fine without it.

brack
    Free Member

20 plus years here.

Why wash all the oils out…?

I shower twice a day and never wash my hair..just ruffle and off I go.

I windsurf a lot love that just out of the sea feel.

Grrrrrrr

samuri
    Free Member

Shampoo? WTF is that? You’re a man, right?

yunki
    Free Member

grade nought clipped hair, scrub with soap and floor brush, same as rest of bod

Woody
    Free Member

My GF tried to convince me I was odd by not using shampoo except before I get a haircut.

I shall now show her this thread. Excellent!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

would stopping shampooing have a benefitical effect on dandruff? i don’t have it too bad – keep it under control with head and shoulders.

the snowy shoulder look isn’t great… 😳

hora
    Free Member

I stopped 20yrs ago. Its greasy for a few weeks at first but a hot shower is enough to keep it all good. I used to get dandruff and a dry scalp from using shampoo.

Aristotle
    Free Member

and

-why use expensive, watered-down soap in a bottle?

…and why bother with hair? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Oh and I use deodarent from Lush the retailer.

samuri
    Free Member

Deodorant!!?? Christ, I thought you lived in Manchester!

hora
    Free Member

Well I clearly cant spell it 😆

Aristotle
    Free Member

Is Lush the shop in the Arndale Centre full of very bright bars of soap and with nauseating smells emanating from it?

labsey
    Free Member

Everyday. Clearly on my own here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Stop using shampoo for your hair?’ is closed to new replies.