Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • ctk
    Free Member

The above purple bike with purple bits is nicest bike I have seen in ages. Tempted!

Anyone know the frame weight yet?

sadexpunk

im liking this bike more than any other ive seen for a long time, but cant afford to build one up right now :-/ many moons ago i got a singular swift on the cyclescheme, dont spose these are available the same way?

singlespeedstu

I can’t run an Ardent on a 35mm Blunt in the back of my Jones, but a 2.35 Ikon fits. The Ardent is just a huge 2.4

The 2.4 Ardent fit’s fine mounted on a RH rim in the rear of the newer Jones.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nfNrGc]20140420_122631[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

I’ve just found an old type 2.4 racing ralph in my garage and fitted that and it’s even biggerer but still fits in.
    It looks almost as big as the knard on a RH. 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

Like the colour of those electric green shorts Stu. Have you got a full frontal shot?

Yeah, my 2.4 Racing Ralph is a tight squeeze, but no buzz, and despite low (low 20’s) pressure

singlespeedstu

Of me or the bike? 😆

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I can fit a racin ralf (old) 2.4 and ardent 2.4 in my Jones, mine is a pre Tai model too. IIRC , the ardent was bigger. Not much mud room, but no buzz.

singlespeedstu

Ralf is biggerer.
    It used to rub the chainstays on hard cornering on my merlin jones and that was mounted on a flow.
    Ardent was fine in the same frame.

jonestown
    Free Member

sadexpunk, worth getting touch with Charlie the Bikemonger or Keep Pedalling in Manchester re Cyclescheme, they’re both dealers and both are probably on the scheme.

Just to remind everyone also, a Stooge frameset is up for grabs as one of the prizes in SSUK14.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I haven’t had either on mine for a while, didn’t get any rub with a 35mm Gordo rim, but I suppose the tires vary slightly in sze due to production tolerance and PSI – currently running a 2.55 weirwolf, out back and a HUDU UL on the front.

singlespeedstu

didn’t get any rub with a 35mm Gordo rim give it any shit with hard cornering

😆

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Or maybe the Flow was more flexible than a Gordo? There’s a reason Jeff recommended those rims.

placid_casual
    Free Member
    miranmtb
    Free Member

unofficial frame and fork weights on my kitchen scale:
    * fork with starr nut and crown race 1300g
    * frame with ebb, hanger and orbit mx installed 3000g (orbit mx ~100g)
    so no weight weeny stuff as expected

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

9.5 pounds – you’re not kidding 😉

miranmtb
    Free Member

Its not a lite frameset (as expected), maybe only the fork is a bit heavier then expected, especially comparing it with excellent salsa cromoto grande (1080g).
    Maybe mr stooge can post more accurate official weights now.

Paceman
    Free Member

I love the blog Placid Casual 🙂

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Aye cracking write up. Fork isn’t light, but feels the right balance of strong but just compliant enough with a hurt big 3″ tyre and wheel up front.

martinh
    Free Member

Ardent on a flow was fine for me too, just the blunt that caused some rub. Maybe the tyre’s stretched with age. Anyway DHR II is my favourite SS rear these days. The sidewalls have magic properties.

Cheezpleez

The bike’s no lightweight but it certainly doesn’t feel like a lump, even on the ups. That said, weight weenies should look elsewhere.

jonestown
    Free Member

I’ll use the Park Tools scales in work on wednesday and get the real weight. I don’t think it’s anywhere hear 9lbs, but having said that, it was built to last with extreme riding. The last thing i wanted was a flexy, noodly framset. My whole bike is 26lbs, no heavyweight.

I will i will get the weight and post it up here 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

In a nice way (because I have send Cheezpleez’ Stooge, like it and would happily ride it) I think it’s hilarious that the end product of 30 year of MTB evolution is, basically, a shopping bike.

The Edwardians got it (nearly) right first time.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Extreme shopping is the new enduro.

NormalMan

Really enjoyed the write up Placid Casual.

Chainline
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu. Mounted my Ardent 2.4 on the Merlin Spaceframe I’ve just got back, seems plenty of room on the Gordo, definitely cornered hard/pushed into slide(front sticks with Nate rear can’t cope… And no rub. It is however on a King SS hub with CXrays so as dishless as it gets on a std dropout.
    I’ve noticed on my FS 29s that the wheel stiffness makes a big difference to rub as you’d expect. I got way less rub with the same tyre when using my Enve wheels..now for sale…

singlespeedstu

Chainline.

It wasn’t the Ardent that rubbed it was the Ralph.
    Arden was fine.
    Ralphy less so but great in the new steel spaceframe mounted on a RH.

I’ll get some pics of it it’s hoogey.

Glad to see you’ve been reunited with your spaceframe.
    Try not to lose it again. 😉

singlespeedstu

Chainline.

It wasn’t the Ardent that rubbed it was the Ralph.
    Arden was fine.
    Ralphy less so but great in the new steel spaceframe mounted on a RH.

I’ll get some pics of it it’s hoogey.

Glad to see you’ve been reunited with your spaceframe.
    Try not to lose it again. 😉

Chainline
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu, aha my mistake. I’ll try not too, have more security now, but it’s never foolproof…it’s been a very pleasant reunion so far.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Just finished my build… Hope I’m not too late to the party..

Singlespeed
    Hope Pro 2 SS / 9mm bolt in mod front
    Dually’s on chunky monkey rear (5mm clearance at seat stays)/knard front.
    Hope headset, BB, stem,pedals
    Tech 3 E4 brakes and floaters.
    Middleburn Uno 32 crankset.
    Thompson elite post
    Flux saddle, may switch for brooks cambium.
    On one OG bars feel good so far may try a flat bar…

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice – first SS I’ve seen

You prefer a straight seatpost?

How does she ride?

crispyrice

That’s really really nice! Well Jeal!

jonestown
    Free Member

Sweet looking build 🙂

By the way, re earlier questions about frame weight, Park Tools digital scales tell me the frame is 5lbs 14ozs. Let’s call it 6 lbs.

chipster

the frame is 5lbs 14ozs. Let’s call it 6 lbs.

Is that including forks?

ctk
    Free Member

I highly doubt it!

chipster

Me too, just askin’.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Including the EBB?

spectabilis
    Free Member

bonesetter – Member
    Nice – first SS I’ve seen
    You prefer a straight seatpost?
    How does she ride?

Straight post yeah I’m 5’11” thought the reach with a 50mm stem and old man bars would be about right, found this Thompson post and thought I’d give it a go.
    After the first ride I’m happy with my position on the bike.. Saddle is right back on the rails mind.

It rides really well I love it infact I know NBS n all that but it’s a proper grinner for sure. surprisingly comfortable and great handling too its no regular 29er, 29ers really ain’t my thing at all but this thing is something else really nimble feels so much lighter than it is, effortlessly bunny hopping fallen logs n shit (literally) yet still retaining the usual wagon wheeler feel of straight line barrelling through ruts etc.
    Performed well through the country lanes too, tyres weren’t as draggy as expected and was keeping up with the (leisurely) roadies as we passed I heard mutterings of “mumble….a Jones or something or other ”

Yep great bike suits me to a T and looks sweet as too.

placid_casual
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oDUnkA]Soiled Stooge[/url] by placid casual, on Flickr

monkeyrider
    Free Member

Looking for polished stuff on my Stooge;
    Anybody thought about a Onone fleegle? does not look bad with 72cm and 15degr backsweep? just 25.4mm but could be used with a shim.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ooh Placid – what a great pic, well done there

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve been using mine for all round duties more than I think any other bike owned…

It’s been used as a go to for everything type of ride from going to the pub, bimbling along the canal with mates, visiting folk, nipping to shop – basically if any excuse… oh and lots of ‘bimbling round the trails’ too 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.