Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,481 total)
  • Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)
  • doof_doof
    Free Member

bonesetter
    Free Member

Exciting news, and good to hear from folk who have actually spent time on them, albeit short

bonesetter
    Free Member

What a great web site

Looking forward to a ride, which maybe very soon as Andy the owner thinks delivery of new frames is any day now

avdave2

Can’t help thinking a Ti one would also be very nice.

The only thing I’m not really convinced about is the one size fits all.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Yeah, little disappointed the ETT is 23.5″ (thought I had read it was going to be 24″), also the stays appear to have grown a smidge.
    Still, don’t think much come close to it for the price.

bonesetter
    Free Member

That’s the point of this bike I think. If it works like it says, and it looks as if it should, then all’s good 🙂

jonestown
    Free Member

re the toptube length, it shrank a little in the wash! But in all seriousness, i’, 5′ 11 and i’m using a 50mm stem for it to fit nicely, turned out that the 24 was just a little too long. re the chainstay length, the frame had to be redesigned to fit the ebb, the option is still there for 16.5 stays providing you run gears.

Regarding the one size fits all – that’s not really my ethos, but at this stage it’s economy of scale coming into play. The frame really does build up big (100mm stem etc, builds up huge, in fact), BUT, if it proves succesfull and there’s enough genuine demand then i will certainly build both larger and smaller frames as required. As it stands, the frame handles sooo well on tight, technical trails. It’s been tested by riders from 5’6 to 6’2 and neither had a problem with fit.

If anyone fancies checking it out and getting sized up correctly you’ll be more than welcome to come on over when i have the demo bike(s) built up. Includes free coffee!

avdave2

if it proves succesfull and there’s enough genuine demand then i will certainly build both larger and smaller frames

I certainly hope it does, I really like the idea, a bike that has taken on all the improvements in mountain bikes over the years barring those that require more maintenance. I’ts as simple as the first bike I bought 28 years.

jonestown
    Free Member

The frames are (finally) arriving next wednesday (21st May). Looking forward to getting them dispatched to my first customers and seeing the results of their builds. Planning an open day in the near(ish) future with a couple of test bikes, should be fun, i’ll keep you posted on here.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks Andy. Could you update on FB too as there’s notifications there. Ta

bonesetter
    Free Member

Looks like Stooge frames arriving (at last) Tuesday (27th)

ska-49
    Free Member

I don’t mind the delay. Gives me a chance to buy all the bits.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

I like the look of this, interested in opinions once the frames are out there, built up and used in anger.
    Recently reduced the bike cave complement to 3 so it may be possible to get it past the investment committee………

ska-49
    Free Member

I received an email from Andy..

Just to let you know the frames are arriving this afternoon. I’ll need a day or so to organise them, but you should have yours by the weekend.

Excited.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ordered a Sky Blue one 🙂

singlespeedstu

It’ll be too small for you mate. 😆

Clink

He can sell it to me 😀

martinh
    Free Member

Seems like ages since you got a new bike Bonesetter. I think you’ll find it heavy and stiff.

( just kidding Mr Stooge)

placid_casual
    Free Member

So, who’s gonna be first posting a picture of theirs built up?

ska-49
    Free Member

Not me.. Haven’t ordered everything yet 😥

honourablegeorge

Was finding myself quite tempted here – has a set of crest 29er wheels on my Roadrat, thinking of getting a more mountain-y frame and transferring bits.

Really put off by the single size though – at 6’1″ I’d be pushed towards a 90/100mm stem and a layback post, neither of which I’d want to use.

Think I turn my attention back to Singular at this point.

bonesetter
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    It’ll be too small for you mate.

POSTED 16 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Thing is Stu, I’ve got the flexibility of Hoodini so can make any size shine 🙂

Yeah Martin. My Raijin has been serving just fine and dandy for the past two years. Thing is the suspension fork usually stays on lock out which is why the Stooge appeals with its high & light front, combined with a fairly balooned tyre.

Clink – faster than a robber’s dog 🙂

Re Sizing:

I think the Stooge’s geo will make the cockpit fairly adaptable for riders of differing sizes. It’s not ideal having to use lay back posts, but I’ve been using a Kent Ericson on the Raijin with no issues

BTW – My Raijin’s ETT is 23.5″ and the Stooge’s is 23 and I’m 6’2″

brianp
    Free Member

Could we have the reach and stack figures please.

Brian

jonestown
    Free Member

Just to update everyone, the ETT on the Stooge is 23.5, not 23. I think it was actually me who quoted it as 23, getting too relaxed with my own measurements 🙂 re the 90mm/100mm stem size, i wouldn’t see that as a problem. i know it’s de riguer to run 50mm stems right now, but i guess same goes for running 150mm of travel.

When i originaly built the bike up i ran a 90mm stem and it certainly didn’t detract from the handling. i now bounce between a 50 and 70 and i’m 5’11, think i’m settling on the 70. But i have no doubts the bike will fit Bonesetter fine.

Reach and stack figures – i’ll decipher my drawings and put them up ASAP.

singlespeedstu

Thing is Stu, I’ve got the flexibility of Hoodini so can make any size shine

I’ve seen you ride mate.
    If that’s shining your batterys need changing and you might want to also thing about upgrading from a candle to some LEDs. 😉

jonestown
    Free Member

I was thinking about ‘layback’ posts too, more specifically the Thomson. Most straight posts on most bikes have slightly offset saddle cradles, because the Thomson is an inline design, the layback is designed to mimic this. Its not like the old BMX laybacks, more a subtle shift i suppose. I’ve always used Thomson laybacks since i got in the bad habit of Brooks saddles.

honourablegeorge

Any plans to offer other sizes? (understand that numbers are small to start so one size makes sense)

Si used to short stems now that I find long (70+) really unpleasant to use.

The Thomson layback I particularly dialike because you can’t lower it fully – suppose other brands don’t have that issue, but still feels like something of a bodge to make a frame that’s too small fit.

vorlich
    Free Member

Surely a bike as nice looking as this warrants an Eriksen sweetpost anyway? You know it makes sense….

bonesetter
    Free Member

Mines arrived

Waiting on a minor part for tomorrow’s inaugural ride

Lookin good

shortcut

I like these – very pretty.

Can you fit in a 29+ back wheel?

ska-49
    Free Member

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/sesqs6.png[/IMG]
    Frame arrived at my sisters, hence the poor photos. When I’m back in the country I can start the build! Agonising two weeks.

deejayen
    Free Member

They look lovely.

I’m keen to hear some ride reports, and comparisons with other bikes. I’m torn between one of these and a diamond/unicrown Jones, plus a few others such as Singular Swift and Salsa El Mariachi…

singlespeedstu

Nige.
    When you find out it’s “a bit small for you” I’ll have it off you for Amanda.

bonesetter
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    Nige.
    When you find out it’s “a bit small for you” I’ll have it off you for Amanda.

It’s the same size as the Raijin I’ve been using for the past two years, which I love

bonesetter
    Free Member

My Mate has an El Mar – that is a steeper geo and so more twitchy up front

Stil a nice ride

bonesetter
    Free Member

Anyway – Clink’s had first dibbs 🙂

singlespeedstu

I’m torn between one of these and a diamond/unicrown Jones, plus a few others such as Singular Swift and Salsa El Mariachi…

The swift and the el m are very similar but very very different to the jones.
    I can’t comment on the stooge as i’ve not tried on but it appears on paper as if it would give a jonesish type ride.

Nige you also thought your xxxxxxxl niner was the right size for you. 😯

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nige you also thought your xxxxxxxl niner was the right size for you.

Fackin ell Stu, that was 10 years ago

singlespeedstu

Have you shrunk in the last ten years?

I know you’re old but you’re not that old. 😉

placid_casual
    Free Member

I went across to see Andy at Llandegla this weekend to get a test ride on his prototype. I rode a lap on my Salsa El Mariachi singlespeed and then half a lap (I was knackered) on the Stooge.

How was it? Suffice to say, I came away with a new frame!

Despite the comparisons above, they ride very differently. The tighter back-end and higher front-end of the Stooge make for a really fun ride. The ElMar is probably quicker, but the Stooge is much more fun.
    The production version of the frame is slightly different to the prototype shown below with additional bracing on the top-tubes and the addition of an EBB, but the finish is exceptional.

The toughest decision wasn’t whether or not to buy one, but what the colour to get !

Bring on the gratuitous photos…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nPykkG]Stooge Cycles[/url] by placid casual, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nMETZ3]Stooge Cycles[/url] by placid casual, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nxe45Y]Stooge Cycles[/url] by placid casual, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,481 total)

The topic ‘Stooge Cycles – who's interested? (slack 29er content)’ is closed to new replies.