Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Stonehenge- how much? Too Much!
  • Ambrose

We decided to visit Stonehenge today, on a whim. Entry price was an eye-watering £17:50 each, reduced to £15:00 if you gift aided. There was a shuttle bus to ferry you to the site from the wholly awful visitor centre.

So we decided to walk to the stones, via the open access land surrounding the site. Once there though there was a man wanting our tickets. Having no such things he told us that we could look over the wire fence. And that free entry will be available after September 23rd.

As I see it the place is being treated as a cash cow.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A bit like York Minster then. £10 a head. I always thought places of worship didn’t charge an entry fee? We didnt bother. Might’ve made a donation if we’d got in without a fee. I’m sure Durham cathedral doesn’t charge & its MILES better!

RustySpanner

Did you see the dewdrops cry?
    That was my favourite bit.

You can actually park in the little road right opposite the stones.
    We only found this out after spending an hour in a traffic jam because this idiot decided to drive past, on a whim.

Damn you whims…..

project
    Free Member

We decided to visit Stonehenge today, on a whim. Entry price was an eye-watering £17:50 each, reduced to £15:00 if you gift aided. There was a shuttle bus to ferry you to the site from the wholly awful visitor centre.

To look at a few stones shoved in a field by aliens on a job creation scheme many years ago.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

To look at a few stones shoved in a field by aliens on a job creation scheme many years ago.

[Tannoy]

JHJ to the forum, please.
    JHJ to the forum, please.

[/Tannoy]

😉

yunki
    Free Member

Go on the solstice.. Take a couple litres of cider and some cheap eckys

cinnamon_girl

Better still I’ve got a cycling route that approaches Stonehenge from The Cursus, past the stones then cross over to Normanton Down which is an SSSI and full of tumuli. Doesn’t cost a penny.

piemonster

As a tourist destination.

Bit rubbish.

As a freebie, it’d be good. If there was no one else there.

cinnamon_girl

When I was a young girl (two centuries ago) you could walk freely amongst them. Still Avebury has a bloomin’ ‘A’ road cutting through the middle of theirs. 😯 If the NT could charge for that they would.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Woodhenge is where it’s at!

Durrington FTW! 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

At least it’s better than the Doctor Who Experience, £50 for a family ticket – despite what they tell you, the ‘experience’ lasts 7 minutes and it’s a rehash of ‘Armageddon’ at Euro Disney followed by a small meseum of costumes from the TV show, once you’ve sniffed Kylie’s outfit there’s not much else to do.

piemonster

sniffed Kylie’s outfit there’s not much else to do.

Still, worth it for £50 then?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Photo of me back in the day when not only was it free but you could sit and climb on the stones.

OP I appreciate your pain, bit of a rip off but the stones are very popular with tourists and if they are willing to pay then I can see the logic of charging.

@essel chafing for major churches is common practice these days, here and abroad. The church is not obliged to provide free entry it was a historical precedent that their doors where open for people to pray at any time. You can generally get in free by attending a service.

Pook

Woodhenge is where it’s at!

Bollocks. It’s all about Strawhenge these days. That first little pig was a trendsetter.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

😆

moose
    Free Member

Ripon Cathedral is free, it has a 1300 year old crypt in it. Christmas is a good time to visit they have a lot of choir practises. Impressive acoustics.

cinnamon_girl

Can I take my bike around Woodhenge and Durrington Wall?

TheSanityAssassin

Me and the (now ex) missus visited Stonehenge a few years ago. Well, we visited the car park near Stonehenge, saw the entry price and drove back to Avebury. We also walked up Silbury Hill and spent some time in and around West Kennet Long Barrow. Which were all fee free.
    Ripping folk off with exorbitant entry fees shouldn’t be the National Trust’s remit – sadly, in my (limited) experience, it appears to be. See also Whitby Abbey and Urquhart Castle for more examples.

jeffl

Yep Durham Cathedral has a donation box. Stuck a tenner in it last week, seemed a reasonable price for looking inside an amazing building. Kids enjoyed the fossilised remains of random fish in some of the granite work. Oh and the Lego Cathedral model.

phiiiiil

In their defence Stonehenge is English Heritage, not National Trust…

TheSanityAssassin

Furry muff, I stand corrected.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Go on the solstice an equinox

Far fewer attendees, nice atmosphere, free and you can potter round the stones

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

chafing for major churches is common practice these days

I thought they were trying to do away with that?

tomd
    Free Member

I’m not a big stone henge fan but I think English Heritage (and the NT) have a policy of using cash from very popular sites to pay for the upkeep of other sites. These othee sites may be of great value but can’t be self supporting. So cash cows like SH are justified on this basis.

scotroutes

Callanish is free.

jon1973
    Free Member

English Heritage is the same as The National Trust, they seem to deliberately set the entrance rates high to encourage you to become a member. All goes to maintaining their properties though.

Klunk
    Free Member

bring back the festival, we need more running battles between travelers and the police.

mikertroid
    Free Member

As someone very local to Stonehenge, the visitors centre is a disaster. The closure of the A344 due to English Heritage’s lobbying has forced all traffic through the Longbarrow roundabout which is a very dangerous situation. Foreigners who can’t understand roundabouts have no idea an impatient drivers refusing to stop off the A303 are a bad mix.

The traffic backlog due to this roundabout and rubbernecking idiots on the 303 having a look at the henge, plus people turning off into the byway, make people’s Sat Navs re-route them through the local villages.

It always was bad here but now it’s twice as bad (I think that’s the order of magnitude traffic studies have shown).

All because EH wanted to shut an ancient road and refuse to plant trees to block the view of the stones from the road.

Thankfully villagers don’t pay because the stones were gifted to EH on condition it was free to locals. I would never pay EH anything after this anyhow.

Drac

Plenty more standing stones you can go and visit without the tourist crowds and for free.

piemonster

I blame Spinal Tap tbsoh

Harry_the_Spider

£88 gets you an EH family membership for a year.

If you visit more than 3 or 4 EH sites a year it pays for itself.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think it’s good that these popular spots pay for and take the heat off other less popular sites. There are better places to visit partly because of places like Stonehenge. Snowdon has a similar effect in Snowdonia. Also the prices quotes are wrong which I suppose helps the rantiness a bit 8)

metalheart
    Free Member

Callanish is free

Yeah, but they’re tiny…

Orkney is where it’s at. Stones Of Stenness and the Ring of Brodgar are really **** massive and seriously impressive (and free). And whilst you’re there there’s also Maes Howe and Skara Brae (not free).

Back to Callanais next week though… 😀

cinnamon_girl

The closure of the A344 due to English Heritage’s lobbying has forced all traffic through the Longbarrow roundabout which is a very dangerous situation. Foreigners who can’t understand roundabouts have no idea an impatient drivers refusing to stop off the A303 are a bad mix.

Don’t get me started on that bloomin’ roundabout! Last week, despite the ‘keep clear’ box an imbecile was sitting in it which meant I couldn’t get around the roundabout. I totally lost it and became shouty and sweary at his stupidity.

stevedoc
    Free Member

The only good thing about Stonehenge is the cafe in the centre of Amesbury best breakfast ever and no traffic on in hat for aweful A303 with rubber neckers ,the amount of time Ive wasted there en route to Chitterine is untrue

Ambrose

@nickel, you are correct about my having misquoted the admission prices, I put them the wrong way round. The giftaid is the more expensive. And I notice that the EH website says that the prices are lower than they really are.

And as mentioned by others, the traffic behaviour at the roundabout is interesting. We watched as a car tried to reverse back to the exit it had missed.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

they really need to put up trees by the side of the road adjacent to stone henge as everyone slows to gawp at the stones. Its traffic jam all the way to the roundabout.

An old boss took the off sump of his hire car whilst gawping but that is another story 🙂

awh
    Free Member

We had a run in with the ticket man too. We’d cycled down the byway from Larkhill and stopped where it crosses the remains of the A344 to have a look at the changes. We got told we weren’t allowed to be there without tickets, so I said we’re on the right of way to which he replied you can’t stop and will have to go back to Larkhill!

I’m really glad I don’t drive on the A303 much now, but on the plus side the stationary traffic did make it quick and easy to cross over it by bike and back to Yarnbury Castle.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ripping folk off with exorbitant entry fees shouldn’t be the National Trust’s remit – sadly, in my (limited) experience, it appears to be.

£8 per month for free entry and free parking at hundreds of nice places all over the country.

Seems reasonable to me. We make good use of it.

steveoath
    Free Member

And reciprocal agreements with national trust organisations abroad as well. Ours (scottish) paid for itself in 3 weeks. Great value.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Stonehenge- how much? Too Much!’ is closed to new replies.