Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Stolen bike spotted (again!) – WWSTWD?
  • woody2000

Long story short – I had 2 MTBs nicked in Oct last year. I found them both pretty quickly afterwards on Gumtree and gave the police the details. Sadly, the police didn’t really act quickly enough and so the bikes were gone when they eventually got there. They did arrest some people, but they all gave the “I had them but I’d bought them from my mate” story and as there wasn’t enough evidence, nowt happened. I did not attempt to recover the bikes myself on the advice of the police.

Fast forward to yesterday when I got a call from a PC in Leeds telling me he’d spotted one of the bikes back up for sale on Gumtree again (in the same area as the first time they’d been up for sale).

My insurance has paid out and the case has been closed by the police, so the bike’s not mine and no-one is interested in pursuing it any more. Should I just let it lie, or do I try and get it back?

wwaswas

I’d want to get the bike back, regardless.

martinhutch

Why did the PC call you if he’s not interested in following it up?

woody2000

Different station Martin – I got the impression that the PC in question had actually been looking to buy a bike, spotted mine and thought it looked suss and so had had a look through local crimes reported. He rang me on a personal level I think

martinhutch

Unless the bike has sentimental value for you, I can’t see the point in trying to get the police re-engaged with it. There will be zero chance of a conviction for theft at this point, and the bike belongs to the insurance company.

kayla1
    Free Member

Slattal hoofage and/or bombers 😀

I think I’d still want the bike back even if the insurance had paid out if it was one I really loved.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Arrange to meet up and buy the bike. Take a few burly friends along. On meeting, inform the seller that the bike was stolen from you, offer photographic evidence and crime ID. Take bike home.

djglover
    Free Member

I got one of my bikes recovered from a PC in North Leeds. It wasn’t in great condition as you can imagine, so the only option I have for it really is to split for parts and sell when I can be bothered. I had the insurance payout and when I saw the bike all knackered with the wrong wheels and rusting drive train I just wanted to hoy it in a skip.

woody2000

Bike has no real sentimental value, but that’s largely because it’s just a thing, and I tend not to get to attached to things (especially ones that I chuck on the floor a lot!). I am however still pretty miffed about being robbed (and the subsequent failed attempt to nick the insurance replacements, presumably by the same people)! Biggest worry for me is the obvious fact that they know where I live, don’t really want them paying me another visit.

docrobster
    Free Member

Something similar happened to a mate of mine. Three bikes knicked. Was still negotiating with insurers over how much the payout would be when he found one on gumtree or similar. Involved the police who were able to apprehend the fence. 1 out of the three recovered but parts had been swapped. Unfortunately my mate had already spent the payout before he had received it, on a new fs and a hardtail to build up. Old bikes were 26 new ones 650b, so he has one working bike, a collection of parts, and I think may have spent rather more than he should. Think he may have been better off not finding his bike, although the perp has been charged and there were several others at the property.
    I guess you either buy your old bike back for sentimental value or just move on.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do all you can to recover the bike, we have to make sure there are consequences for bike theft and handling stolen goods.

iainc

if you get it back you need to let the insurance company know and likely send them back the payout. Do you want to do that ? I’d just leave it personally

andyl
    Free Member

if you get it back you need to let the insurance company know and likely send them back the payout. Do you want to do that ? I’d just leave it personally

that’s not how it works. Claim has already been settled. The found bike is now theirs. you inform them and then they decide what they want you to do with it which is often you buy if back from them if you really want it, if it’s in bad condition they tell you to skip it or, I guess this it eh third option but never heard of anyone taking this route, you send it back to them and they dispose of it at an auction or something.

jamiep
    Free Member

If you get it back it now belongs to the Insurance and you could arrange to buy from them? But why would you have to return the payout?

EDIT: crossed posts

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

that’s now how it works. Claim has already been settled. The found bike is now theirs. you inform them and then they decide what they want you to do with it which is often you buy if back from them if you really want it, if it’s in bad condition they tell you to skip it or, I guess this it eh third option but never heard of anyone taking this route, you send it back to them and they dispose of it at an auction or something.

Think I’ve only heard of one case of the latter. Didn’t someone on STW lose a Titanium Jones and the insurers wanted a higher price for the returned bike?

djglover
    Free Member

I emailed the insurance company to inform them I had the bike and if they wanted it they could collect it whenever they wanted!

bruneep

The bike is property of the insurance co.

When my bike was recovered 1 yr after it was stolen I informed the insurance co that the police have recovered your property and it is now located at my home. You are welcome to pick it up. I got a call a few days later telling me to “Just keep it”

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Stolen bike spotted (again!) – WWSTWD?’ is closed to new replies.